morrels

roberto

Last year was an early season for the mushrooms at the farm and while trimming the grapevines this past week the warm winds had all but banished the previous weeks snowfall. Looks like its shaping up for another early season of mushrooms. Little video of mushroom hunting in the cumberland mountains... Cant really find rhyme or reason why they grow in such a diversified area.

Id give the mushrooms a little shake to spread some of the spores then sack em in the plastic bags. then back at the cabin i would take the dirty sacks put water in them the pour them out in an area gathering morning sun , with some success.

http://youtu.be/KOCfMY383KY

catman529

I'm counting the seconds till I find the first morel.... Can't wait. It won't be as early as last year but still might be a bit earlier than usual. Just hope we keep getting some rain here and there to keep the ground wet. They dried up early last year.

roberto

pressfit said:
sweet!! but.. what was all the yellow/orange trash on the ground?
trash left from old overnighters. i suspect it was part of a temporary shelter.. love looking for those mushrooms sticking up thru and pushing the leaves up catman!

Boll Weevil

What's the most you've ever found at once? I just love'em but haven't really been hunting them my whole life so am still learning where and how to look.

One day walking back from a morning hunt I found 111 under an old raggedy elm. Couldn't believe it...thought I'd died and gone to mushroom heaven. Never found anything like that again. Nowhere near.

catman529

Boll Weevil said:
What's the most you've ever found at once? I just love'em but haven't really been hunting them my whole life so am still learning where and how to look.

One day walking back from a morning hunt I found 111 under an old raggedy elm. Couldn't believe it...thought I'd died and gone to mushroom heaven. Never found anything like that again. Nowhere near.
maybe just luck or a really good spot to look, but in my first year of looking (2011) I found 200 shrooms in one outing. Two good patches on hillsides and a really good patch along a ridge top. Those same patches hardly produced a handful last year. Looks like this year is shaping up to be a better year.

Latest posts