More trespassers

D

dgolden

Supporter
I am not certain where you are, but I believe I have run these guys off my place in Fayette Co. several times in the past. Let's just say 3rd time was a charm and I got their attention.
They run beagles during the day and coon dogs at night.
If this is the same guys, I know where they stays.
I’ll send you a PM. I’m right on the Fayette/Hardeman line. My dad took a photo of a suspicious truck driving back and forth if don’t of our place earlier in the season. Might be them.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
No sir I never needed them for any legal action to take place. This was with Game Wardens from 4 different counties as well.
Some poachers even had lawyers but it never made a difference. Game Wardens and Judges get along well. If the GW goes after them it usally sticks in court. It did 100% on my cases.
that was because the game warden was involved. if a game warden witnesses or catches them kn the act then they can arrest them, most other times tresspassing is a civil matter.

backyardtndeer

backyardtndeer

I never had a letter or nothing. Some properties I leased and a couple were just permission farms. Breaking the law is breaking the law! Gamewarden and I never had an issue prosecuting violators. For the 28 I did prosecute I probably caught twice that many I let go with just a good talking too. It was the habitual violators or smart butts I went after. This was over the course of like 24yrs. Commercial Appeals years ago mentioned me one time on what I had done with poachers. I never had a single poacher get off free.
I caught a couple on my neighbor before he gave me written permission that the game warden told me I needed. I immediately contacted the warden on his cell, and he told me he couldn't charge them without the landowner. My neighbor didn't want to follow through in either potential case, so they got away with killing deer where they didn't have permission. After the second one, he told me to get written permission and told me how to word it. Neighbor passed a couple years later and I lost that permission.

Dunno, maybe the warden here just didn't want to go after them, but knowing him that would seem out of character.

H

hammer33

Is it time for an update to the coon hunting regulations?
How about this one...
Written permission must be carried at all times for each property. Any property less than 750 acres dogs must remain on leashes the entire time. Any violation of the above will result in mandatory minimum fine of $500. per occurrence per dog per hunter. Second offence results in $1000 minimum mandatory. Third offence is $1500 or 45 days in jail and confiscation of hunting gear used.

Keeping dogs on leashes would curtail the "dogs can't read signs" excuse but still allow hunters to hunt permitted properties with their dogs.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Remember I've said before that I've never met an honest coon hunter? That still stands true. I'm sure there are some out there but most I've met like to brag that it's usually late at night and no one knows where they go. Pathetic.

D

dgolden

Supporter
Remember I've said before that I've never met an honest coon hunter? That still stands true. I'm sure there are some out there but most I've met like to brag that it's usually late at night and no one knows where they go. Pathetic.
Makes me so mad! It’s not like they’re just cutting ones on a small part of us. They are in the middle of 300 acres. They have to cross two other fields to get to this point. And they are doing it repeatedly

ttf909

ttf909

Supporter
Makes me so mad! It’s not like they’re just cutting ones on a small part of us. They are in the middle of 300 acres. They have to cross two other fields to get to this point. And they are doing it repeatedly
Hey I had a buddy call me and ask me why I gave this local coon hunter permission to hunt his land . Said it never happened . My buddy said well he was on my land and dropped your name. Weird stuff . 😕

H

Hunter79

Is it time for an update to the coon hunting regulations?
How about this one...
Written permission must be carried at all times for each property. Any property less than 750 acres dogs must remain on leashes the entire time. Any violation of the above will result in mandatory minimum fine of $500. per occurrence per dog per hunter. Second offence results in $1000 minimum mandatory. Third offence is $1500 or 45 days in jail and confiscation of hunting gear used.

Keeping dogs on leashes would curtail the "dogs can't read signs" excuse but still allow hunters to hunt permitted properties with their dogs.
LMAO ignorance is bliss.you have ZERO chance of getting this law passed.good luck in your endeavor.I guess we need to have a similar law for deer hunters since there are road hunters and spotlighters who trespass for months on end and even folks who just can't shoot and feel the need to retrieve there deer on private property just because they made a marginal shot as I've heard so many of you rant about.dang it guys we all have the right to hunt.stop acting like deer hunters are the only folks that get to enjoy our outdoors.and yes I am an avid deer hunter as well as rabbit and former racoon hunter but understand that quai,rabbit,Turkey and even racoon hunters/trappers share the woods as well.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
LMAO ignorance is bliss.you have ZERO chance of getting this law passed.good luck in your endeavor.I guess we need to have a similar law for deer hunters since there are road hunters and spotlighters who trespass for months on end and even folks who just can't shoot and feel the need to retrieve there deer on private property just because they made a marginal shot as I've heard so many of you rant about.dang it guys we all have the right to hunt.stop acting like deer hunters are the only folks that get to enjoy our outdoors.and yes I am an avid deer hunter as well as rabbit and former racoon hunter but understand that quai,rabbit,Turkey and even racoon hunters/trappers share the woods as well.
Where does one’s rights stop and yours begin. If you ain’t paying taxes on it, you shouldn’t have a say regardless. Keep the dogs off property you don’t have permission to be on. Most of the time, it’s the same people, numerous times, and they know they aren’t to be there.

H

Hunter79

Well then seems like a pretty large blanket don't it! Poachers and trespassers hunt all critters unless of course you claim deer hunters don't trespass or poach then that just must be true.don't blame everyone for the actions of few.I can guarantee you deer hunters kill more live stock and trespass more than any of the other hunters combined.

H

hammer33

I HATE the idea of further restrictions on hunting.
What is the solution to coon hunters who have no regard to private property?
Are the current regulations working?
If not, what is the solution?

I can tell you what is going to happen if WE (hunters) don't come up with a solution.
Some ya-hoo is going to mess with the wrong guy, somebody politically connected with $$$$$ and a lot of clout.
Then one day we will discover that coon hunting is effectively outlawed in TN.
Look at the Lock 5 debacle and how ONE wealthy connected landowner got an entire section of Old Hickory WMA effectively turned into his own hunting preserve.

H

Hunter79

In not sure what the answer is for trespassers ( not just racoon hunters but all trespassers) i wish I knew but putting all hunters under the same blanket as them is wrong.

H

Hunter79

Not everyone hunting with a dog racoon dog or otherwise is a trespasser. Just as I would bet all you deer hunters wouldn't appreciate being called poachers or trespassers just because of the actions of few!

H

hammer33

Lets face it. The old days of 1000 + acre parcels of woods and farms are gone. Most farms are under 150 acres.
How can anyone expect to run dogs on small farm parcels and not KNOW that they will be crossing property lines ?

Thats my main point. Coon hunting on todays chopped up farms and small parcels will almost guarantee trespassing. It simply can't be helped if you put your dogs out on small parcels of land. With mini farms being in high demand and pulling big $$$$$ we are getting a LOT of city types with money and clout moving to the country.
Dog hunting of all types is on the decline. Too expensive, too much time involved, too hard to find properties to run the dogs..... Pair that up with farms being divided and sold to city types and that is a recipe for a bunch of anti hunters to push through an end to dog hunting in TN.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
Abide by the rules that are set for everyone. Anyone breaks the law, they pay the price. Other than that, what other laws should we overlook bc they're just not fair to a certain group? I'm the farthest thing from a "City type" as I've owned our property for my entire life and it was handed down thru my family for generations(I bought quite a bit from other family members who wanted to sell) . But I still don't want anyone coming across my property without my knowing about it. Methheads are the main problem where I'm at, second are thieves, third would be poachers.

Last edited: