• Help Support TNDeer:

More $15 an hour minimum wage jobs on the chopping block

BMan

More evidence that increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour will be a panacea; in reality, many of those jobs will no longer exist.

AI Takes Over Drive-Thru Orders

When this product gets any kinks worked out and matures, people taking your drive-thru order at a restaurant will go the way of the dodo. No need to 6, 8, 10 or 12 people cover that role over the course of a week; purchase or license an automated system and save hundreds of dollars each day.

The more expensive unskilled labor becomes, the fewer opportunities will exist.

backyardtndeer

Yep, ai will take over a LOT of those jobs. Walmart has made their big push away from cashier's and going to the self checks.

Wife has can's in the nursing home making about $12. They do a pretty short class. She has lpn's that go to school for 12-18 months that start around $16. She says what is the motivation for people to get the licenced job when they can make about the same money without the expense and time invested.

Another point to that, is how is it fair to equalize pay to those making 15-16 now who will not get a raise.

Yep, ai will take over a LOT of those jobs. Walmart has made their big push away from cashier's and going to the self checks.

Wife has can's in the nursing home making about $12. They do a pretty short class. She has lpn's that go to school for 12-18 months that start around $16. She says what is the motivation for people to get the licenced job when they can make about the same money without the expense and time invested.

Another point to that, is how is it fair to equalize pay to those making 15-16 now who will not get a raise.
I was going to post the same thing. I am a home health nurse that has worked a lot in the long term setting. A CNA goes to school for a month or two and gets paid crap for back breaking work. If they can get paid $15hr at a fast food restaurant, why would they want to wipe butt at a SNF? Then the nurses get pissed because the CNAs make almost the same money for WAY less education. Trickle down effect.

BigAl

A guy from our area created an app. when you pull up to the drive thru to order, you see the person on the TV screen, but they are at home working remote/virtual. That person sends the order to the restaurant. He had this working before covid, but its getting to be more popular since covid came around.

Snake

Supporter
Every one has a stance here as well as an opinion .I see backyardtndeer's stance and I realize some business' probably will shutdown because they couldn't pay that . How hard do you think it would be to try to make a living on what some of those people are making ? There could be compromises but don't think it will come to that. Like Walmart for example look at their earnings and ask yourself would it hurt them to pay the $15 minimum wage ? Of course not but some other businesses it would so it'd be work but those with astronomical profits make them pay it and those that don't have the profits keep what they've been paying . That won't happen but in a perfect world it would .

megalomaniac

I saw a CNA last month who was taking a travelling gig to Boston for 3 months. Room and board paid for, travel expenses paid.

$32 per hour with a guaranteed min of 24h overtime every 2 weeks paid at $48 per hour. Not bad for 4 to 6 month education course.

There ARE opportunities to make a small fortune in Healthcare right now if you are hardworking and resourceful.

Travel Covid floor nurses can make $75 to $80 per hour currently... not counting overtime.

Appalachian American

Every one has a stance here as well as an opinion .I see backyardtndeer's stance and I realize some business' probably will shutdown because they couldn't pay that . How hard do you think it would be to try to make a living on what some of those people are making ? There could be compromises but don't think it will come to that. Like Walmart for example look at their earnings and ask yourself would it hurt them to pay the $15 minimum wage ? Of course not but some other businesses it would so it'd be work but those with astronomical profits make them pay it and those that don't have the profits keep what they've been paying . That won't happen but in a perfect world it would .
For the sake of discussion...

It’s very easy to say how much someone else should pay their employees. This is even easier at the corporate level, but what about the small business who’s owner has risked everything and leveraged debt/spent life savings to make it away from a corporate environment... to create!

Why on earth would we support any legislation that would stifle the ability of small business to remain competitive against monopolies like Amazon or Walmart?

I get that minimum wage isn’t great, but it’s not supposed to be. Want to make more? Make yourself useful. Learn a useful skill or trade... plenty of “hand up” programs out there to make this happen. Don’t ask how I know.

BMan

A guy from our area created an app. when you pull up to the drive thru to order, you see the person on the TV screen, but they are at home working remote/virtual. That person sends the order to the restaurant. He had this working before covid, but its getting to be more popular since covid came around.

This will eliminate that job as well, although there may be a limited number for people who cannot get their orders taken accurately - though I think that will probably lead to the customer being required to use a "smart phone" to order. Either way, fewer and fewer minimum wage jobs.

BMan

Minimum wage jobs are for those with minimal skills - and they are a rarity in any event. The minimum wage was NEVER intended to be a "living wage" nor should it be.

If one wants more money, they need to make themself more valuable.

Blackbullet

It's a political illusion to trick people into thinking that politicians are doing something for them. It will indeed hurt skilled employees and make them earn a lower percentage of income. If everyone else catches up to when wage increase, nothing but inflation has happened.

Snake

Supporter
For the sake of discussion...

It’s very easy to say how much someone else should pay their employees. This is even easier at the corporate level, but what about the small business who’s owner has risked everything and leveraged debt/spent life savings to make it away from a corporate environment... to create!

Why on earth would we support any legislation that would stifle the ability of small business to remain competitive against monopolies like Amazon or Walmart?

I get that minimum wage isn’t great, but it’s not supposed to be. Want to make more? Make yourself useful. Learn a useful skill or trade... plenty of “hand up” programs out there to make this happen. Don’t ask how I know.
Then who would make your hamburgers ? If you read my entire post I did mention the business' that couldn't afford to pay the $15 minimum. I also mentioned there could be a compromise which would never happen . Walmart could probably pay each member corporate pay as we as Amazon but they don't. Now as I said it will be across the board either way with no compromise which will hurt the small business.

Wiley

how is it fair to equalize pay to those making 15-16 now who will not get a raise.
THIS is the question that I've been asking. There are people who have been in the same job for several years just now making that much and suddenly everybody under them is at the same rate. NONE of the politicians are talking about this.

Snake

Supporter
THIS is the question that I've been asking. There are people who have been in the same job for several years just now making that much and suddenly everybody under them is at the same rate. NONE of the politicians are talking about this.
What about a those years they made less are they talking about that as well ? When something of this nature is brought up everyone will not be satisfied, no way to be fair to every one . When you want to talk about fair how about the illegal immigrants taking jobs away from Americans ? We can bring up stuff all day and night to disagree about , life is just not fair right .

Last edited:

BMan

Then who would make your hamburgers ? If you read my entire post I did mention the business' that couldn't afford to pay the $15 minimum. I also mentioned there could be a compromise which would never happen . Walmart could probably pay each member corporate pay as we as Amazon but they don't. Now as I said it will be across the board either way with no compromise which will hurt the small business.

Automation of food is well along already, particularly in Japan. There are several hamburger places in California that have been robotically making burgers for 3 years. That's coming to every fast food place in America, it's just a matter of time.

Many of the major retail corporations in the U.S. support a higher minimum wage because it will further squeeze out the small and medium sized competition. Many of those retail corporations already pay far more than minimum wage - average starting wage at WalMart nationwide is over $11/hour. They can absorb the minimal increase far better than the local gift shop in Parsons that may only pay 7.50.

Bear in mind that li'l joe, heels up and the rest of the 'rats are welcoming illegals across the border with open arms. and they openly oppose E-verify. So guess what - a lot of minimum wage jobs (and other jobs as well) are going to be taken by illegals who will gladly work for less, under the table, with no taxes involved. There goes another batch of wonderful $15/hr jobs.

Bottom line is, anyone who wants workers to make more money and live better - need to stop voting for the 'rat party of enslavement.

backyardtndeer

Dems will dodge that subject. The factory workers that work on a line making a living wage will get no raise, they will however get screwed by a minimum wage increase. Inflation will be far worse than anything we have seen in our lifetime, or at least in mine. Will be 52 in June.

Those folks making $15 an hour now won't be able to afford groceries anymore. Add in gas will be increasing and the low end of the working class on up to the middle income will be who will suffer most from this. Figure there will be millions of lost jobs too. Bad situation all the way around.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts