Montana Muley 2020 Pt 2

WG3

So we had got to the shed, got my muley in the game bags, no bones because of Tennessee Laws, and start to prep the skull for a return trip and a euro at the same time.
IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg
After lunch, we head back out. My buddy is up and so is the snow. It gives some pretty scenery,
IMG_3993.jpeg
but not many deer. We did see a huge forky, with some trash velvet still on him, he had to be an old deer. We head back to camp till the following morning. We get up and still a lot of snow and few deer. We see one possible shooter, my buddy goes to get a closer look with the only available way with ground conditions, the buck spots him and heads for the other side of the mountain. He makes his way back and we head to another spot. I cannot say that I ever walked 2 miles in the snow to school, but I can now say that I have hiked in 2.2 miles, according to mr iPhone, in the snow looking for deer. I have to say that my layers did work at keeping me warm, because I was soaked underneath afterwards. But more great scenery.
IMG_4051.jpeg
So back to camp for change of layers and lunch. We head out after lunch, and we aren't seeing to much. My buddy wants to take a look by himself and hikes another mile in another area and again sees nothing. It is the last hour of the day, so we are not that hopeful. We head to last spot and come up on some bucks just standing there. Two nice bucks, we look them over and both agree which is the bigger deer, a nice 6x5 with brow tines. He was 165 yards a way, he shoots and runs about 300 yards and my buddy puts another in him for good measure. Another buck is down. Thats a late night cutting him up and prepping the skull for a return to Tennessee. We get to bed late that night. The next day we get up and start the process of a very cold, got down to negative eight the night before, camp break down. Around 1 or 2 in the afternoon we head out, the hunt is over, but not the trip.
IMG_0013.jpeg
We decide to try Devils Tower before heading back to Rapid City for the night. We make to the tower and it was amazing, not sure aliens didn't do it;);)
IMG_4074.jpeg
After the trip to Devils Tower, which we seen a couple of fields with over 100 whitetails in them along the way, we make it to Rapid City. We get to the hotel, a much improved hotel over the previous visit, we get a hot shower and head to dinner. Once again have to recommend Firehouse Brewery for the Stout and Hearty stew and there andouille sausage. The next morning we decide to head back home via Nebraska to see some more of the landscape. The only thing that we found is Nebraska is a very interesting county.
IMG_4081.jpeg
We make it back to his place the following morning. The trip has come to an end, but now what to do with the meat. We decide that we will just grind to make summer sausage, bologna, and snack sticks with all but tenderloins and backstrap. Now sitting here, all is done, heading back to work in the morining, I am happy to have such great memorys to end 2020 on.