Mississippi Success

bowhunterfanatic

01F44163-1DC9-4634-A3A9-FA5D27A44B68-3348-000002CF997AC8CF.jpg

My fianc�'s brother and a friend of his got the season started off right today.

Southern Sportsman

It may just be the way the fans are laying and the way they took the picture, but those look like jakes. I dont judge anyone for shooting jakes normally, but I dont think its legal to shoot jakes in MS. May want to check on that.

Andy S.

Assuming they were taken legally, congrats to them. I love the rule that beards must be 6" in MS for adults to kill them. :whistle: If you're 15 or under, you can kill any male bird in MS, regardless of age.

Southern Sportsman

Andy S. said:
Southern Sportsman said:
It may just be the way the fans are laying adnd the way they took the picture....
I think this may be the case here. Their big heads look like old birds to me.

I agree with the big head thought, but the fans definitely look staggered. And I've never seen anybody take the post-hunt-cell phone-picture-to-send-to-everyone without displaying a beard(s). Maybe I'm wrong, and if so congrats to the hunters.

woodsman87

Southern Sportsman said:
Andy S. said:
Southern Sportsman said:
It may just be the way the fans are laying adnd the way they took the picture....
I think this may be the case here. Their big heads look like old birds to me.

I agree with the big head thought, but the fans definitely look staggered. And I've never seen anybody take the post-hunt-cell phone-picture-to-send-to-everyone without displaying a beard(s). Maybe I'm wrong, and if so congrats to the hunters.

The heads look like jakes to me. The one on the left looks like to have feathers running up the back of the head. The one on the right looks just to be swollen from being shot/stepped on. Tail fans also look like jake fans. No beards flopped out to see.

Maybe they are 15 year olds that skipped school like I used to. Good job to them.

Southern Sportsman

bowhunterfanatic said:
They were both legal birds if I understand the rules right. Both birds have beards just over 7

I have seen a bunch of Jakes, even killed a few, and I have never ever seen a jake with a 7 inch beard. If those birds had 7 inch beards, then they literally had to tuck the beards under the bodies to hide them in the picture.

I'm not trying to call anyone out or act holier than thou, but the birds absolutely look like jakes and if so then your BIL and friend shouldn't send pictures of them, and probably wouldn't want them posted on the internet if they did. Just my unsolicited and likely unwanted advice.

woodsman87

Southern Sportsman said:
bowhunterfanatic said:
They were both legal birds if I understand the rules right. Both birds have beards just over 7

I have seen a bunch of Jakes, even killed a few, and I have never ever seen a jake with a 7 inch beard. If those birds had 7 inch beards, then they literally had to tuck the beards under the bodies to hide them in the picture.

I'm not trying to call anyone out or act holier than thou, but the birds absolutely look like jakes and if so then your BIL and friend shouldn't send pictures of them, and probably wouldn't want them posted on the internet if they did. Just my unsolicited and likely unwanted advice.

Look like jakes to me as well. I am not calling anyone out or anything, but I have seen and been around lots of turkeys. A 7 inch beard is probably an adult bird anyways.

To me taking a picture of a longbeard gobbler without the beard is like taking a picture of a buck and leaving the antlers out, whether its a spike or 10 pointer.

Andy S.

woodsman87 said:
To me taking a picture of a longbeard gobbler without the beard is like taking a picture of a buck and leaving the antlers out......
While I agree, I have seen literally dozens of pictures of old birds that did not showcase their beards, many times because of the way the hunter chose to pose with his kill, and sometimes solely by mistake.

woodsman87

Andy S. said:
woodsman87 said:
To me taking a picture of a longbeard gobbler without the beard is like taking a picture of a buck and leaving the antlers out......
While I agree, I have seen literally dozens of pictures of old birds that did not showcase their beards, many times because of the way the hunter chose to pose with his kill, and sometimes solely by mistake.

I think I made a mistake there. I actually have pictures of gobblers with no beards showing. And I don't really compare it to a buck. Turkey hunting is more about the hunt to me, and as long as its a mature gobbler, 2 years or older, I shoot him.