Mississippi Considers All Weapon Season

Winchester

Im far from being an Eliteist Bowhunter as I hunt every season, but would hate to see TN do the same. I like the different seasons and the challenges that come with each one.

Hunter 257W

So basically all it would do is allow you to use a 270 during what is not ML season and Bow season would be unchanged. Of course I'm talking TN seasons as if TN were going to do the same which it is not at this time. I would have no problem with that. I'd probably never use my ML again though.

Now if they wanted to allow guns during what is now Bow season, I'd stay at the house until the 1st frost! I'm not sitting in swarms of bugs to deer hunt.

pressfit

IMO its like the "religion needs it own section" thread.. I wish we had it here.. i'd hunt with my .308 the whole time.. BUT.. if you guys want to go out with a long bow and wooden arrows.. more power to you.. I'm sure not going to look down on you.. there is no telling how many thousands of dollars I have spent on bows,crossbows, arrows,broadheads,scopes,bolts,sabots,muzzle loaders,powder,bullets,primers and the list goes on and on and on.. that I could have spent on other outdoor gear I want but will never get like a electric 4x4 utv.. to be exact.. I wouldnt even mind paying twra and fee to hunt during the normal primitave seasons with my rifle..

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I never ever ever thought I would say this but.... I would be against this.

After seeing what a week of gun hunting does to mature bucks in KY I would much rather have what we have now in TN.

As Buckwild would say though... YMMV.

Orion6

I don't think it matters - set a season limit on bucks per segment; i.e. segment 1 is one month, one buck. Segment 2 one month,one buck and so on. Those who want meat will shoot one and get out of the woods.

It's just like when crossbows were made legal. Tales of endless slaughter, the end of hunting as we know it, deer being killed in drive-by crossbow shootings.

The harvest didn't change, and now very few people care what you hunt with in bow season.

I would be ok with segmented, regulated seasons. And yes, I'd use a rifle the whole time.

TNDeerGuy

7mmDeathPunch said:
in the dog house! said:
Football Hunter said:
Andy S. said:
deerhunter10 said:
Winchester said:
Im far from being an Eliteist Bowhunter as I hunt every season, but would hate to see TN do the same. I like the different seasons and the challenges that come with each one.
x2
x3
yep

X4

x5
X6, except I would like it to open a little earlier�a chance at a velvet buck would be nice

Bone Collector

TNDeerGuy said:
7mmDeathPunch said:
in the dog house! said:
Football Hunter said:
Andy S. said:
deerhunter10 said:
Winchester said:
x2
x3
yep

X4

x5
X6, except I would like it to open a little earlier�a chance at a velvet buck would be nice

I'm with you TNDeerGuy.

TheLBLman

As this new law is stated in Mississippi, I think it does more harm than good, and will create more division between hunters.

On the other hand, might see it differently if it were an across-the-board change applying to all lands equally, i.e. deer season simply opens and closes on said dates, use whatever weapons you prefer. The big flaw in the Mississippi change is that it doesn't apply to those public lands that are otherwise hunted "same as statewide". Also keep in mind the deer are considered a public, not a private resource, and the average buck roams over thousands of acres, usually not spending all his time on any one person's property.

Not saying I want to see this in TN, as do see merit in having an early archery only season. However, there is also merit in simply have a "deer season", any weapon you prefer.

It would be fine with me if TN's deer season was archery-only from the opening thru October, then any weapon Nov 1st until close. But this should apply equally to private lands and public lands that are hunted "same as statewide".

Rick Dillard

Wes Parrish said:
The big flaw in the Mississippi change is that it doesn't apply to those public lands that are otherwise hunted "same as statewide".

I think that it depends on a hunter's perspective. The restriction to primitive weapons (especially muzzleloader only) to some public lands may actually deter some hunters from going there thereby reducing hunting pressure and improving the quality of the hunt for those willing to abide by the restrictions.

TheLBLman

That's a good point, Rick.

But generally speaking, I see this change as divisive, and overall doing more harm than good to the future of hunting. No reason certain WMA's and public lands can't have "special" regs, but the default should be "same as statewide" being the "same" as the state rules on private lands for hunting a public resource.

Just to throw in another perspective, imagine how divisive if duck decoys were not allowed on public lands, but were allowed on private lands. Ducks are a public resource, and it would be unfair to restrict their hunting differently (generally speaking) on public lands.

Or how about this. Let's say TN did exactly what MS just did, and look at how that would effect the deer hunting at President's Island WMA. President's Island has a private huntable inholding that is not a part of the WMA. It is also bordered nearby by some private huntable lands. What if these private lands were being gun hunted during September & October, instead of our current archery-only season? Would that adversely effect the archery-only hunt on President's Island?

Of course, PI is not one of those "same as statewide" public lands, but consider one such as Natchez Trace, which is relatively long and narrow, with most of it's deer traveling onto adjoining private properties. Those hunting private property adjoining the public lands would have a great advantage being able to hunt the same deer herd with a rifle while the public land hunt was limited to archery only.

TheLBLman

Poser said:
Give me one reason why there should be doe seasons on public land that don't exist on private land and why non residents are not allowed to kill does unless they own or lease land? Makes no sense.
Politics.
Politicians get off in making rules that control others. Anything to grow any form of government, rules, and their empowerment. The reality is Mississippi's deer management may have less to do with real deer management and more to do with politicians' wanting to control things.

Mississippi has a great bunch of wildlife professionals, so this is not meant to come across derogatorily towards them. The problem is the politicians that trump the advise of wildlife professionals.