Mississippi birds

Layne

Been hunting Mississippi for 4 days and it has been tough. The birds have been gobbling a few times on the limb but will shut up once they hit the ground. Until this morning I have been setup on birds at dawn but the birds just will not work. Birds are still grouped up and just don't seem interested in any calling.

I took a landowners grandson last week and we were able to setup on a bird at dawn that was gobbling pretty good but he pitched into a field we didn't have permission to hunt. We were later able to setup on a field edge were a large group of turkeys was feeding, called and never got a response from the strutting gobbler but was able to get the hens to meander over and the young man missed on a 25 yard shot on the gobbler. Later saw a group of 4 jakes and a longer beard together and again they had no interest in the call. It was the young man's first turkey hunt so the excitement may have gotten to him on the miss but he really seem to enjoy it.

I worked another large group of birds Monday with one long beard in the group and I couldn't even get him to gobble, when I called he would just strut a little bit then go back to feeding. The hens weren't even interested this time so since I haven't reached to the ambush point yet I just went looking for another bird... with no luck.

For those hunting MS what have you guys been seeing?

Layne

Poser said:
I hunted the Holly Springs area last weekend and it was real tough. [/quote

Yeah I'm hunting pretty close to the Holy Springs area, just East of the national Forrest.

woodsman87

I haven't gotten to go yet, at least yall are getting to try. I have never hunted in MS, but I have hunted in AL alot, and Im telling you just because they aint gobbling dont meant they aint there. They typically just do not gobble very much. If you stick with it, you will find one that is gobbling good and he may be very easy to call in. It happens

Boll Weevil

It's amazing how gobbling varies from place to place. I've been blessed to have hunted in 7 different states and can tell you that our southern turkeys are generally far more hush-mouthed than midwestern birds. IL and MO turkeys...good grief those turkeys love to gobble! MS and SC...if they gobble a few times on the limb and once or twice on the "death-march" it's pretty typical.

I recall a few southern kamikaze birds that gobbled every breath but not nearly as many as their cousins to the north.

woodsman87

Boll Weevil said:
It's amazing how gobbling varies from place to place. I've been blessed to have hunted in 7 different states and can tell you that our southern turkeys are generally far more hush-mouthed than midwestern birds. IL and MO turkeys...good grief those turkeys love to gobble! MS and SC...if they gobble a few times on the limb and once or twice on the "death-march" it's pretty typical.

I recall a few southern kamikaze birds that gobbled every breath but not nearly as many as their cousins to the north.

I completly agree with you. About the furthest north I have hunted is probably aaround Pulaski in Giles county, but my places in Giles and Lincoln county and Limestone AL they gobble way way way more than they do in south and central AL. There have been exceptions, but it is mostly gobble 7-8 times on roost, once or twice after flydown, and that is it. Calls are almost against the rules in my south AL places haha.

wwa7

Its funny, I was just replying to this forum, and as soon as I set my phone down, a big three yr old slipped in quiet on me. 9.5" beard, sharp 1" spurs. 19lbs.

Layne

Poser said:
Layne said:
Poser said:
I hunted the Holly Springs area last weekend and it was real tough. [/quote

Yeah I'm hunting pretty close to the Holy Springs area, just East of the national Forrest.

You in Hill Country or bottom land? Things will kick up and bust lose any day -hang in there. I may be back down there on the weekend of the 30th.

mostly hill country but some bottom land. problem is there is quite a bit of cutover that has just started to thin, the birds travel this cutover between blocks of timber and fields.