Minimum age question

jb3

Yeah, wasn't sure. With deer hunting during juvenile, an adult must be with the youth. At that time the youth is 16 and under. Had me thinking do you need to be 17 to deer hunt by yourself (without adult supervision).

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
From what I can find, it is 10, and you have to be hunter ed certified.

I believe that only refers to the age cutoff under which hunter ed is not required.
It doesn't suggest the child is then legally able to hunt independently.

I recall that the "restricted" driver's license teens use until they turn 18 prohibits them from legally driving between 11pm-6am, but one of the exceptions to that is if they're driving to go hunting or fishing between 4-6am, with a license in their possession.

My question is whether the Youth Hunt regs jb3 mentions apply during the regular season? Or is it like Ohio, where nobody under 18 can hunt unaccompanied during youth season, but 16 year-olds can hunt alone during regular season?

QuotaLady

Tennessee does not dictate when a child is responsible enough to hunt on their own outside of the juvenile season. There is no law that establishes that. QL

QuotaLady

Tennessee does not dictate when a child is responsible enough to hunt on their own outside of the juvenile season. There is no law that establishes that. QL
I'll clarify my answer a tad. Different regulations exist for hunting in WMA's, such as the following:
On all "Young-Sportsman Hunts," youths, ages 6-16, may participate but must be accompanied by an adult, 21 years of age or older, who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device. Adults cannot hunt except as indicated otherwise. Adults must comply with fluorescent orange regulations, as specified for legal hunters when accompanying Young Sportsmen on "Young-Sportsman Big Game Hunts," except as indicated.

5. Youths, ages 6-16, may participate on other big game WMA hunts, but must be accompanied by an adult, 21 years of age or older, who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device except as otherwise noted.

Patrick H

The real answer is when they have the judgment and maturity and can maintain self control under "buck fever" conditions. Only the parents or hunting mentor can make that judgement.

tasaman

Quotalady is correct. The state does not have a law that sets legal hunting or unsupervised ages with exception of specific hunts. If they have completed hunter safety successfully at the age required to have it, they can hunt on their own.

Latest posts