Mineral and Corn

Monk74

That being said , I don't fault anyone who does the opposite of me. Everybody is different. And if you pay a bank note and property taxes or lease a place, do whatever makes you happy.

BSK

This fall, I plan on (as much as I can) trying to spray the stumps of the least-desired trees we want there soon after they are cut. You might also consider this for less competition on the trees, seedlings or nuts you plant - also more sunlight hitting the ground in the upcoming years. Just throwing another option out there for combating trees you don't want.
Great idea. Unfortunately, the less desirably species tend to be the most aggressive recolonizers.

BSK

Monk74,

I would simply caution you on making associations between something that has been done and what you see from a couple deer. Local deer populations are shockingly complex organisms, with many, many factors influencing their performance. Unfortunately, I watch all the time as hunters/landowners jump to conclusions based on what they hope is true, and usually involving simple solutions to complex problems. A case in point: I have a client that has been heavily supplementally feeding for years. There has been no uptick in herd performance during that time. Until last year. Last year, the hunters experienced a HUGE increase in antler growth per age-class last year. They are now completely convinced the supplemental feeding is finally working - primarily because they were so convinced early on it was going to be the answer to their local low-performance problems. However, they're ignoring the fact that EVERY property in the area experienced a huge increase in antler growth per age-class last year and that they've been supplementing for years without improvement.

Shed Hunter

Monk74,

I would simply caution you on making associations between something that has been done and what you see from a couple deer. Local deer populations are shockingly complex organisms, with many, many factors influencing their performance. Unfortunately, I watch all the time as hunters/landowners jump to conclusions based on what they hope is true, and usually involving simple solutions to complex problems. A case in point: I have a client that has been heavily supplementally feeding for years. There has been no uptick in herd performance during that time. Until last year. Last year, the hunters experienced a HUGE increase in antler growth per age-class last year. They are now completely convinced the supplemental feeding is finally working - primarily because they were so convinced early on it was going to be the answer to their local low-performance problems. However, they're ignoring the fact that EVERY property in the area experienced a huge increase in antler growth per age-class last year and that they've been supplementing for years without improvement.
I remember you mentioning last year being an abnormally good year for growth. What's your prediction on this year?

Buzzard Breath

I remember you mentioning last year being an abnormally good year for growth. What's your prediction on this year?
I'm not BSK, but I'm taking off most, if not all of November. Therefore, this will be the worst year for antler growth in the history of mankind.

BSK

If I could predict those years, I would probably be a wealthy man! I will have to see the first mid to late summer trail cam pictures coming in to know.

I do think the western 2/3 of TN will see a pretty big white oak acorn crop, but a poor red oak acorn crop. That can make hunting a bit more difficult in October through mid-November with a bunch of white oak acorns on the ground. But by late November, without red oak acorns, deer should really shift towards food plots, which makes hunting a lot easier.

BSK

But the idea is interesting. Looking back at past years, I can see some really good years for antler development and some really bad years. I wish I knew the EXACT factors that drive those ups and downs.

woodsman04

Y'all ought to work at a feed mill and have to turn a farmers load of grain down because the moisture isn't right.
That corn isn't used to make chicken or cow feed. The reason why? Is because it's bad for them if aflatoxins are developed. It's a huge deal.
As mentioned before, this corn isn't thrown away, it's sold as a different feed such as the wildlife feed.

If it ain't good enough for cows or chickens, what makes you think it's ok for deer or turkeys? That's my view on it anyways.

JCDEERMAN

I do think the western 2/3 of TN will see a pretty big white oak acorn crop, but a poor red oak acorn crop. That can make hunting a bit more difficult in October through mid-November with a bunch of white oak acorns on the ground. But by late November, without red oak acorns, deer should really shift towards food plots, which makes hunting a lot easier.
And for us food plotters out there, planting the appropriate fall crops to capitalize on this can pay off. If the white oak acorns are raining down, that's where they'll likely be eating. Hence, don't plant too many early crops, I'd rather focus on mid-late blends this year.

BSK

Good plan JCDEERMAN. Let me add that, as long as nothing bad for acorn production occurs between now and mid-September, we should have a big white oak acorn crop! Branches blown out of trees by local storms are displaying MANY acorn buds, even triple and quadruple acorn bud clusters. As long as growing conditions continue as they have, we should have a big crop.

Mr.Bro

Have enjoyed this thread very much.
Predictions for buck size this year?
Scanning through 1000s of pics 2015 and 2016 were especially good on 5 farms in 2 counties of west Kentucky, A vast area not just 1 small section. The last few years have been down years. We are due for a bumper crop of bucks. Early August cam pics will tell me more.
Good luck to all.

MickThompson

I agree, everybody forgets that half of a bucks dna comes from momma doe. I put out di-cal/phosphate, salt, trace and selenium. If that fawn is getting the right minerals prenatal and while nursing it'll be healthier and fight of diseases better. I despise high fence operations but,ask one of the cats that feed their families because of big antlers if it helps.
This is assuming that deer have a deficiency of a mineral that you can get them to eat at a salt lick. Deer are concentrate selectors. They forage on many different plants and seem to be able to discern which parts of which plants are the best to eat.

Mineral supplements are sort of a necessary evil in captive herds fed a very narrow diet.

Snowwolfe

Any time corn is exposed to warm, humid weather aflatoxin producing molds can grow.

Does that mean the mold will grow? Or only that it might?

My wife loves to feed deer and turkeys just for her viewing pleasure. If corn is such a no no what feed can I buy for a reasonable price ?

Last edited by a moderator:

BSK

Does that mean the mold will grow? Or only that it might?

My wife loves to feed deer and turkeys just for her viewing pleasure. If corn is such a no no what feed can I buy for a reasonable price ?
Most corn, if left exposed to warm humid weather, will develop aflatoxin producing molds within just days.

Your best bet is buying certified aflatoxin-free corn from a feed mill, and making sure the corn is covered from rain. But even then, corn and summertime in the South do not mix well.

Snowwolfe

Most corn, if left exposed to warm humid weather, will develop aflatoxin producing molds within just days.

Your best bet is buying certified aflatoxin-free corn from a feed mill, and making sure the corn is covered from rain. But even then, corn and summertime in the South do not mix well.
What type of food can I buy for a reasonable price at the local co op that would be good to attract deer and also be healthy for them?

Latest posts