• Help Support TNDeer:

Milkless cornbread

huntintn

Got a gallon of chili im thawing for tomorrow, really gonna be wanting some cornbread but we're kinda rationing the milk. Anyone rwver ate water cornbread?

Hunter 257W

I've experimented between using regular milk and butter milk and prefer the butter milk as does the rest of the family. Can't hardly imagine what it would taste like to substitute water for the milk. I'd make a small skillet full for that 1st batch. :)

mike243

Pillsbury cornbread swirls, food city sells them, I try to keep some powdered buttermilk in the cabinet, it works pretty good.

huntintn

All thats great on the cornbread premade stuff but I'm quarantined till at least the 4th. Just wondering if it was worth a shot. Thanks

shane37110

2 cups cornmeal
1 tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar(optional)
Enough hot water to make a good batter that sticks together when patted out. Pat out little patties like salmon patties.
Fry in lard or the oil of your choice til golden brown. Can deep fry or skillet fry. Flip them as needed if skillet frying.

brassmagnet

I don't understand this no buttermilk situation, I buy a half gallon every 2 or 3 days. I went to buttermilk when I quit coffee December before last. Cornbread takes buttermilk!!!

mike243

Diabetic here so we don't buy much milk or buttermilk, we have to have a recipe that calls for milk before we buy any as it goes out of date before its all used, watching the carbs and sugars aint easy if you want to keep your toe's

bobbuck

I don't understand this no buttermilk situation, I buy a half gallon every 2 or 3 days. I went to buttermilk when I quit coffee December before last. Cornbread takes buttermilk!!!
According to what OP said he is in Quarantine. So they are rationing the milk they have on hand.

huntintn

I don't understand this no buttermilk situation, I buy a half gallon every 2 or 3 days. I went to buttermilk when I quit coffee December before last. Cornbread

Covid = no store runs

savageman

just use almond milk. I cant tell the difference. they also sell soy milk and oat milk.
dairy is unhealthy stuff.
I quit using it 12 years ago. No regrets.
Milk does not build strong bones. The countries that consume the most milk have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

Methane

For future reference, you can buy powdered buttermilk and keep it on hand. Lasts longer than a jug of buttermilk and the taste is okay.

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.