Military Humvee

Kirk

Kirk

Has anyone on here bought one of the Military Surplus Humvee's? I have found several for sale that have been demilitarized and just wondered if they were worth buying. Prices seem decent at around $6500 to $8500. Most of them are sort of rough condition on the inside and would have to have a few dials, gauges and seats recovered or replaced.

D

doolin

I know someone through a mutual friend that has one and he loves his and hasn't had any problems out of it. If I remember correctly he said he can not get it registered to use on the road though. I think he paid 6500 for his

hillbillyfab

hillbillyfab

I know nothing about the Hummvees, but I can tell you I've never been impressed or a fan GM's 6.2/6.5 diesel engine. Very underpowered for what they are.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

hillbillyfab":3po93j1b said:
I know nothing about the Hummvees, but I can tell you I've never been impressed or a fan GM's 6.2/6.5 diesel engine. Very underpowered for what they are.

In their original, non-uparmored, trim, the engine was quite sufficient for the vehicle. Once you start adding heavy stuff too it, they really start to bog down.
My hunting buddy is an absolute master with one and can climb stuff you wouldn't believe, including 3' vertical walls.
I wouldn't mind having one (if for nothing else, to remind me what trashed my back in Iraq), but would much rather have an M151A2.

M

Mattt

Why can't it be registered? Does it have something to do with where he lives? A side by side can be registered in my county with a reduced speed plate.

Gravey

Gravey

Supporter
My buddy just bought one for his son. Only seen pics and it’s cool. He did register it as the guy he bought it from had already done whatever necessary for it to be civilian used. It does not have A/C. They had another buddy customize the seats so they’d fit better. He’s 6’8” and his son is 6’5” and the seats weren’t adjustable. He said it’s fun for around town but you don’t want to take a trip in it.

Kirk

Kirk

I did a lot of research online today on Military Humvee's and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I think I will just find me a Jeep somewhere and work on it.

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
A friend and I used to work on them for customers. They are VERY heavy in their non militarized form and much heavier when armored. They are typically underpowered and cumbersome to drive, being wider than any other vehicle on the road. Amenities are few and the ones that are there don't work very well, such as cabin heating. They also require the highest load rated tires on the market because they weigh more than today"s 1-Ton dually's. Unless you want it for a show piece or a status symbol, it isn't worth having.

As for making a rock crawler, I wouldn't because it is so heavy that if it breaks you might have a hard time getting it out. Rock crawlers need suspension that can articulate a great deal more than a humvee is designed to do.

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
jlanecr500":1efsh54y said:
A friend and I used to work on them for customers. They are VERY heavy in their non militarized form and much heavier when armored. They are typically underpowered and cumbersome to drive, being wider than any other vehicle on the road. Amenities are few and the ones that are there don't work very well, such as cabin heating. They also require the highest load rated tires on the market because they weigh more than today"s 1-Ton dually's. Unless you want it for a show piece or a status symbol, it isn't worth having.

As for making a rock crawler, I wouldn't because it is so heavy that if it breaks you might have a hard time getting it out. Rock crawlers need suspension that can articulate a great deal more than a humvee is designed to do.

This man sound like he knows his stuff

hillbillyfab

hillbillyfab

LanceS4803":cbkaaavg said:
hillbillyfab":cbkaaavg said:

In their original, non-uparmored, trim, the engine was quite sufficient for the vehicle. Once you start adding heavy stuff too it, they really start to bog down.
My hunting buddy is an absolute master with one and can climb stuff you wouldn't believe, including 3' vertical walls.
I wouldn't mind having one (if for nothing else, to remind me what trashed my back in Iraq), but would much rather have an M151A2.
That's good to hear, because the civilian 6.2/6.5's were/are nothing to write home about. Of course my experience is from owning several of them in the 81-91 GM 3/4 & 1 ton 4WD trucks. I bet there's different HP/TQ ratings between civi's & military versions.

lightsareout

lightsareout

Matt from Demolition Ranch and Off the Ranch on youtube just got one street legal. Very cool if you ask me. I have no idea on the process to get one registered for the street.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

Gravey":1veful68 said:
He said it’s fun for around town but you don’t want to take a trip in it.
Taking one from one end of Iraq to another is brutal.
Tough on your back, neck and hearing. Hint: Wear ear plugs when driving.