Midsouth NOW - Powder

LanceS4803

I've gotten a few powders that I normally don't use but was able to get some 340 pistol powder today, that had been on my Wish List.

ADR

Is it just me or are powders hanging around on websites a little longer. They had N565 today that even stuck around for more than 5 minutes.

backyardtndeer

Is it just me or are powders hanging around on websites a little longer. They had N565 today that even stuck around for more than 5 minutes.
Think it depends on what it is. I saw varget 8 lb somewhere the other day and tried to put it in my cart, was gone as quick as it was there.

LanceS4803

Powders are starting to show up at a lot of on-line retailers.
Now if we could just get primers.

I found this great chart that equates powder charges to total rounds loaded. Gives you an idea of how many primers you need per container of powder.

Number Of Loads Per Pound Based On Powder Charge.jpg

DaveB

A pound of powder weighs 7,000 grains. Which means for my 9's, loading @5 grains, 1400 rounds but I have never exceeded 1250 per pound.

60 grains of IMR4350 works wonders in my 06 with only occasional pressure signs. about 115 rounds.

I have checked MANY times and nearly ever one pound cannister is slightly over-maybe one round.

backyardtndeer

A pound of powder weighs 7,000 grains.
Using that same unit of measure, I calculated my most used loads for each caliber I load for, tried to match up as close as possible with powder to bullet inventory. Have a file in my phone.

I have never run an entire 1 lb can in one sitting though and cannot say how close I get. Because I hand weigh each hunting round, I usually only load 20 or so at a time for hunting rounds unless it is 223, in which case I may load 50-100 at a time.

I had intentions of getting into loading 9mm, never did though. Honestly don't shoot handguns that much though.

DaveB

Neither did I. One son in US Army Reserves Engineer got a Sig. Other son got a Beretta 92FS, both 9's. You can shoot up 100 bucks of ammo in one range visit. Tried to load using regular procedures-10-10 beam weigh each charge, trickle to exact weight and then we'd shoot them up in like 30 seconds.
So I began a search for components and two places I frequent had untold thousands of 9 brass and the price was right. Off we went...

When I load for my 06 I have a recipe in use since mid-1980's. When I sit down to reload for the 06 it is because I have fewer than 20 rounds left which in turn implies I have around 450+ case prep items to do. That is how I know the formula works.

Hunter 257W

I always consider shots/pound when choosing powders for handgun or plinking rounds like the 32-20. Like to stay well under 7 grains if at all possible to get above the 1000 shots/pound mark. But same as you guys I've never recorded the total number of shots from an individual pound of powder to see how close it works out. Usually I'm using Red Dot or Unique and using from 8 lb cans anyhow plus loading for different cartridges intermingled together. Even when i was loading 500 shotshells a week I was using 16 or 18 grains of Red Dot but working from 8 lb cans so don't know how many shots i actually got out of a pound. The number of shots from a 25lb bag of shot did work out right about on the money though. You get 355 shots per bag using the standard 1 1/8 ounces of shot and that's why I switched to 1 ounce loads to get 400 shots. Nearly 2 more boxes of shells at zero increased cost for shot. :)

Latest posts