Middle TN WMAs and other State Lands

bgant

It's getting to be that time of year again. I usually hunt Cheatham when the gobblers get frisky in spring, but it was absolutely crazy out there last year, at least for the first couple weekends! I imagine part of that was COVID and lots of people being off work, but I'm wondering about other middle TN areas y'all may have hunted. I've walked all over PP Unit II for deer and long beards and have never found too much sign of long beards. Spooked one off roost one day, but that's the only gobbler I've ever seen out there. Perhaps I've not been out there at the right time or looked in the best areas?

Anybody stalk long beards on OH Unit I or Cedars? I imagine Cedars gets heavy pressure and I've never been out to OH Unit I, but a buddy that duck hunts out there says we need to scout gobblers out there. A quick look on OnX for OH Unit I looks like a lot of ag fields and not much by way of woods. Not sure that'd be the best habitat, but probably need to put eyes on it before making any decisions.

I'm not asking anyone to give up their honey hole, but if y'all have suggestions, I'd love to hear em. Thanks!

Remington700

Most public land is occupied during hunting season. The weekends are the worst, because everyone is off work. If you can go middle of the week or late season you will see fewer people. Also, the further you walk away from the roads, vehicles, sign of people. The better off you will be.

th88

I'm not asking anyone to give up their honey hole,
That's what they all say. Literally. lol

If you have a boat, I'd recommend putting in and hunting any of the lakes. Record springs last year on Old Hickory, Tellico Lake, and Priest WMAs. You can even see how the good hunting is on YouTube.

catman529

Everywhere you mentioned has turkeys and has probably twice as many hunters as turkeys. Pretty much anywhere around Nashville is gonna be like that. Persistence pays off. Good luck

Derek

I cut my teeth hunting turkey at Cedars of Lebanon years ago. It was tough, but I learned a lot and I had a LOT of fun. I learned from a local back then to go on the days when the weather is horrible. Thunderstorms and rain runs most people off. He seemed to always kill a bird out there.

bgant

That's what they all say. Literally. lol

If you have a boat, I'd recommend putting in and hunting any of the lakes. Record springs last year on Old Hickory, Tellico Lake, and Priest WMAs. You can even see how the good hunting is on YouTube.
Been looking for an inexpensive Jon boat for a while, but no boat yet. It'd sure help get me on more birds and deer!

scn

A lot of the pressure is by locals that hunt before work if they have a little flexibility. It will be tough to have an early gobbling bird to yourself.
Things calm down later in the morning. If you can get a 10 oclock bird to gobble, he can usually be killed.
So, another strategy is to sleep in, and hit the woods as the early morning crew is leaving.

Latest posts