Middle TN machinist/gunsmith

Long walker

I finally got my BSF carbon prefit for a Savage build (short action/small shank) and the barrel thread OD is 1.061 and the accustock recoil lug ID is 1.059.

Barrel threads in the action great so I'm looking for someone who can grind out the 20 thousands of so with precision and maintain concentricity which I know I can't do with a Dremel.

nso123

I finally got my BSF carbon prefit for a Savage build (short action/small shank) and the barrel thread OD is 1.061 and the accustock recoil lug ID is 1.059.

Barrel threads in the action great so I'm looking for someone who can grind out the 20 thousands of so with precision and maintain concentricity which I know I can't do with a Dremel.
My understanding on this is that you do not necessarily need a tight slip fit on the lug. In the case of a Savage, it's more important that the barrel nut and the lug are parallel to the action face when tightened. There is some thought that too tight of a fit between the lug and tenon can result in a pressure point. So, I would probably consider opening the lug up myself.

Long walker

Ended up taking the Dremel to it and letting the rotation on low speed take it down nice and slow with pretty good consistency. Polished it up with fine sandpaper on a dowel and it fits great.

Thanks nso123 for the words of encouragement!!

jaybird62

If you are looking for precision rifle gunsmithing, Echo 3 Armory in Chapel Hill is your best bet. The owner, Rich, is very knowledgeable. He rebarreled the rifle that set the 100- and 1,000-yard benchrest world record.
As a side note, several gun shops in the Nashville Metro area farm their work out to Echo 3.

Long walker

Thanks that's good to know. I'm a member at Strategic Edge but have never stopped in there. I'll make it a point to on my next trip.

Deer Assassin

If you are looking for precision rifle gunsmithing, Echo 3 Armory in Chapel Hill is your best bet. The owner, Rich, is very knowledgeable. He rebarreled the rifle that set the 100- and 1,000-yard benchrest world record.
As a side note, several gun shops in the Nashville Metro area farm their work out to Echo 3.
good info

I got to barrel the 7 saum this year