Memphis interstate shooting

Cache

Guess it was bound to happen. I witnessed a shooting on the interstate tonight.
Driving to work and not paying much attention to my surroundings when the car in front of me unloads 5-10 rounds into the car in the left lane. Before I realized what was happening the shooter and another car were speeding off and the car that was shot up was hitting the median.

I called 911 but don’t think I was much help other than giving them a location of the Honda Accord that was shot up and a vague description of the 2 vehicles that were long gone. I figured it would eventually happen but didn’t expect it to be 30 yards in front of me.

Shook me pretty good and I realized I need to do a better job of paying attention.
Anyone have recommendations on a good dashboard camera?
What else can you do in a situation like this?

hatnotch

Glad it wasn't you. It sucks that those type of people are out there. I have not dashboard camera suggestions for you. Noticed that they are beginning to be come place on more and more dashes around this part.
Yeah always keep your head on a swivel for sure. You never know when something like that will happen. A year and half ago I come up on a highspeed police chase crash with gun fire exchange. Granted I was more like 100yards from the "action" but it will get one shook up.

Pioneer1789

I just bought Rove R2-4K cameras for both our vehicles. $119 on Amazon. The footage I've seen from them is the best for a camera under $200. I can't say first hand yet as we just got them 2 days ago and haven't installed them yet.

MUP

Supporter
Driving to work and not paying much attention to my surroundings when the car in front of me unloads 5-10 rounds into the car in the left lane. Before I realized what was happening the shooter and another car were speeding off and the car that was shot up was hitting the median.

I called 911 but don’t think I was much help other than giving them a location of the Honda Accord that was shot up and a vague description of the 2 vehicles that were long gone. I figured it would eventually happen but didn’t expect it to be 30 yards in front of me.

Shook me pretty good and I realized I need to do a better job of paying attention.
I had an incident a few months back, and I didn't get any cameras, but I did upgrade from the protection aspect that I thought was sufficient. When two thugs are harassing you on the highway, and they get pulled over by the law who sees them speeding around you, and then they are found to have guns and drugs on them, it'll make you re-think only having one handgun on you in the truck I'm telling you.

BlackBelt

Where on the expressway did this happen?
When I look at the expressway shooting maps they show the majority of shootings happen on the southern leg...but they have happened around the entire expressway system.

I installed Papago front and rear cameras on my trucks. They are super easy to install and are high definition and affordable. They are "Sony quaity" without the Sony price.

Stay safe guys.

Last edited:

Wildcat

Rexing dash cameras. I replaced mine with one of these and it works great. You can get them at Amazon.

Cache

240 between Perkins and Getwell. No idea if it was gang related but the more I replay it in my mind the less I feel it was random.

backyardtndeer

Glad you were not mixed up in the fray, of the shooting. That is crazy. Saw a report just the other day about shootings on the roads in Memphis becoming more common. Another solid reason for my family to avoid Memphis.

BlackBelt

240 between Perkins and Getwell. No idea if it was gang related but the more I replay it in my mind the less I feel it was random.
That section runs right through the middle of pretty rough gang-territory. Pretty good chance it was a targeted gang-related attack.
The south leg of I-240 is not a good place to be after dark.

BlackBelt

Just curious..... not being a smart a**

What good is a dash camera going to do?

glad your ok
A dash cam provides evidence of a crime happening, or of an accident. On the Memphis expressways drag racing is a huge problem for regular motorists. The dragsters weave in and out of regular traffic and cause serious accidents because they tend to cut off other motorists by cutting in front of them before the rear end of the dragsters car has cleared the front of the regular motorists car. Without video to prove who was at fault the dragster can simply claim he was rear-ended, and now the motorist is on the hook to pay for the dragsters car.
Video camera evidence, whether for home or car, take away the perps claims that he didn't do it, he wasn't there, etc.
When there is video the question of "did you do it?" is answered.
Then the question becomes "how much time in a plea deal is acceptable?"

Crow Terminator

I am a dash cam wreck binge watcher. In my opinion the Rexing cameras have the best quality of the ones I see posted. Those videos have opened my eyes to how often road rage incidents occur from just stupid things. It has prompted me to carry some long range hornet spray in the truck. If some tough loud mouth ever thinks they want to have a go at me, I’ll leave em crying with a face full of hornet spray. It won’t kill em but I guarantee they’ll cry a little.