Mechanics- Supercharger questions

Pic IN the Casa

Pic IN the Casa

So my daughter has a 99 Buick Regal (50k miles). Took it for a 'once over' before she heads back to school. Mechanic (who I trust) said it sounded like the supercharger was making whine/rattle noise as if a bearing may be going out. The belt was replaced yesterday. Started researching and yay for me they are super expensive, even to rebuild ($1300 range).
I always thought the whine was from the alternator as I was told that 3.8 engine is notorious for that sound.

Questions I have after researching (and trying to get out of this as gently as possible):

It can still be driven but will lack as much power???

I have found several used ones on line, even ebay, from $250 up. Rebuilts are $700. Would you even think of buying one from a junk yard?

Looked at some old GM forums and some suggestions were to check/change the oil in them to see if that helps or solves noise issues.
Also, some suggested it may just be the coupling which may negate a rebuild.

Anyone know someone in Nashville area that will rebuild one if I buy the kit online?

Ultimately, I guess I should take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it and go from there.

T

TNLynn

My wife drove hers for a year without a belt so she had a standard 3.8gt motor instead of a supercharged motor. Only difference was when you really get on it the SUPER CHARGE power was not there. She has a 2000 Pontiac grand prix gtp.

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

They whine anyway, at least all that I have heard whine.I bet there is nothing wrong with it.With that low of mi

Man that car will fly..they have a page full of them on youtube....they all whine

They Whine anyway I don't know about the rattle.

Go to youtube and listen to some.