Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something

R

Ridgewalker1

Model 700. And don't look back.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Man that's tough. Never owned either brand so I cant really comment on the guns.

Btsmith2416

Btsmith2416

Are you still using American whitetail ammo? I have a 7mm-08 and the first box of ammo I ever shot out of it had 3 or 4 strike primer and never shoot. Didn't want to go through the hassle of contacting Hornady but I've since used federal fusions with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

muddyboots

Supporter
U can’t raise the bolt on any of my Remington’s when the safety is on. I’ve since switched to encore with a hammer but I have never had that happen.

Tennrock

Tennrock

I have a Ruger American that I have to watch the bolt closely. I was going to shoot a doe last year, pulled the trigger . . . nothing. checked to make sure the safety was off, pulled trigger . . . nothing. Saw that the bolt handle was slightly up, pushed it down and it fired when I pulled the trigger. On mine, the firing pin never engaged, it never clicked.
The bolt handle is way to easy to move up in the closed position. I shoot left handed and carry my gun on my left shoulder which causes me to bump it up every time.

docpoco":1tjjg3fj said:
I just got off the phone with Ruger.

Apparently this is a known issue with the Predator and they have received many complaints about ut.

Apparently there is a fix for it.

But still.... :|

Bone Collector

Bone Collector

Supporter
Tennrock":2r1gh9se said:
Same with my Browning A-Bolt.

muddyboots":2r1gh9se said:
U can’t raise the bolt on any of my Remington’s when the safety is on.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard. You can't work the bolt when it is on safety either. I would look for a gun that has this feature. Once you load a round and put it on safety, it can't be moved.

pressfit

pressfit

I had the same problem with my ruger American 308.. drew down on a 140 incher at 50 yards.. click.. dotted the primer.. put it back in later and kaboom.. the bolt handle had gotten snagged in some honey suckle and partially opened..

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Bone Collector":39bqgmuq said:
Tennrock":39bqgmuq said:
Same with my Browning A-Bolt.

muddyboots":39bqgmuq said:
U can’t raise the bolt on any of my Remington’s when the safety is on.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard. You can't work the bolt when it is on safety either. I would look for a gun that has this feature. Once you load a round and put it on safety, it can't be moved.

I shot a vanguard for years. The problem I had with mine was that the safety could easily be knocked to "fire". This happened on several occasions. Very scary when you look down and find it off safety after tromping through the woods. May have just been mine, not sure. With that being said, it was one of my favorite guns of all time other than that part.

To the OP, I didn't mean to get off subject. Glad that you figured it out and they are willing to fix it for you.

7X57

I know people say the Ruger American rifles are great shooters, but I just can't get over how cheap they are made. I have lots of old Ruger red butts and several 700s. I'm serious about my deer rifle, and I know it's gonna go bang every time. You can get a solid 700 at Academy for $379.99 now days. Good luck to you.

ImThere

ImThere

I have 2 Ruger Americans and have never had this problem. I must be lucky. When I pull the trigger chit dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

treefarmer

My Remington 700 was modified by Remington so it can be opened with the safety on, which I like. This was their first response to the trigger "recall" from guns going off when being unloaded. I was always uncomfortable taking the safety off to unload the gun. The bolt is stiff enough it doesn't lift on it's own.