Mature acorns - what are you seeing where

gary66

In Nashville, I'm already seeing some mature (brown) Chinquapin acorns on the ground as well as Black Oak acorns.
lots round here in farm country..deer never even give them a lick. It's so weird seeing them, knowing what it means to a deer hunter and also knowing it doesn't mean jack squat to deer round here. It's a war zone round here with all the incoming acorns.

Something going on round here, trees have exploded in size and I'm not sure why. Either bad times are coming or they have already come cause trees respond to stress...I don't like it.

BSK

lots round here in farm country..deer never even give them a lick. It's so weird seeing them, knowing what it means to a deer hunter and also knowing it doesn't mean jack squat to deer round here. It's a war zone round here with all the incoming acorns.
The Blacks or the Chinquapins? I find deer LOVE the Chinquapins, bot not their sister tree the Mountain Chestnut. They will hardly touch those. The Blacks only get eaten when no varieties in the white family are available.

gary66

The Blacks or the Chinquapins? I find deer LOVE the Chinquapins, bot not their sister tree the Mountain Chestnut. They will hardly touch those. The Blacks only get eaten when no varieties in the white family are available.
mostly red and white oaks here. I don't think I've ever found acorns in the deer round here, many bellies full of corn. They don't seem to pull the corn down either, they eat the corn coons pull down. I have pictures of deer eating the leaves off the stalks but none pulling them down.

I hunt the acorns down south, smaller deer, mostly timber and pasture ground. Find the acorns, find the deer.

Trnr

After I got out of the stand yesterday morning I did a little still hunting to check up on the oaks where I hunt. Ive got a ton of Reds dropping but I havent seen many acorns on the Whites (here). Finally found a producing White oak (acorns still green) close to a trail that leads into the corner of a brush field. Looks like Mother Nature is telling me to move my stand 😄

Rutherford btw

Trapper John

I went squirrel hunting yesterday with a secondary intention of checking on the timber cut going on on our farm and ho-ly crap. Last year we had almost no acorns. I say almost because I'm sure some tree out there produced, but I saw nothing. Yesterday morning it sounded like a rainstorm in the woods. Green ones, brown ones...whatever. All coming down with a vengeance. Mostly red oaks. A bunch of our whites got taken out by a storm, but the ones I found were loaded with green acorns. After last year, I'm thrilled. Central Decatur County.

catman529

Still seeing mostly green acorns knocked out by squirrels. I did find one white oak dropping a few ripe ones a few days ago in southern middle TN. Seems like the white oaks are loaded down this year, lotta green ones falling. Also noticed a couple chestnut oaks starting to drop. Shumard oaks in the Nashville basin starting to drop a few ripe ones as usual. I saw one chinkapin oak in someone's front yard with acorns starting to change color on Saturday. I think we're about to be overloaded with acorns in the next 2-3 weeks, could be some tough hunting. I've got a couple swamp chestnut oaks singled out on a field edge that are loaded this year, they probably won't drop till the end of October but I'm gonna try and slip in there when the time is right.

Bone Collector

I am having issues with my eyes. I'm 45, never been to an eye doctor and have always had 20/10 -20/15 eyesight. Now it appears my dominant right eye is near sighted and weaker than my left eye which appears to be far sighted and stronger. Looking through binos proved to be frustrating as too much magnification blurs my left eye and too little blurs my right eye. The white oaks I have seen in Rutherford APPEAR to be empty, but the reds I have seen appear to have some acorns. I am finding green acorns on the ground of both varieties so I assume there are some up there. I just can't focus to confirm. That being said, what I can tell is it doesn't look like a bumper crop where I am hunting.

Going to the eye doctor Friday.

catman529

I am having issues with my eyes. I'm 45, never been to an eye doctor and have always had 20/10 -20/15 eyesight. Now it appears my dominant right eye is near sighted and weaker than my left eye which appears to be far sighted and stronger. Looking through binos proved to be frustrating as too much magnification blurs my left eye and too little blurs my right eye. The white oaks I have seen in Rutherford APPEAR to be empty, but the reds I have seen appear to have some acorns. I am finding green acorns on the ground of both varieties so I assume there are some up there. I just can't focus to confirm. That being said, what I can tell is it doesn't look like a bumper crop where I am hunting.

Going to the eye doctor Friday.
You sure you don't just need to adjust the focus on one lens of the binos?

BSK

Mountain Chestnut finally starting to drop in Nashville. Was hiking at Percy Warner this morning and in places the ground was a carpet of Mountain Chestnut acorns. Reds, whites and blacks really starting to fall heavy.

catman529

Mountain Chestnut finally starting to drop in Nashville. Was hiking at Percy Warner this morning and in places the ground was a carpet of Mountain Chestnut acorns. Reds, whites and blacks really starting to fall heavy.
Saw a chestnut oak on Saturday that must have dropped 600 acorns at the end of a cul de sac

Bone Collector

You sure you don't just need to adjust the focus on one lens of the binos?
Is that possible? I know there is a +/- (which I messed with) on the right lens, but it didn't help. Maybe I just need to play with it more.

EDIT**** well crap. I tried that and it didn't work, but maybe I didn't try hard enough. I will definitely need to try this again.