Mature acorns - what are you seeing where

peytoncreekhunter

In the parks in Nashville, persimmons are falling like crazy. Trails are covered is squishy fallen fruit.

I have lots of persimmon tress where I hunt but have never seen any fruit. I just saw one tree on Tuesday that is covered up in fruit. I mean the limbs are sagging they gave so much on them. The ground is covered up in fallen fruit as well. This is in Smith County, Riddleton area.

BSK

I atually like it better when there are NOT a lot of acorns because the deer have to roam about more to search for them. When it's a bumper crop, it seems all they do is stand up from the bed, walk 20-30 yds, pig out, then lay back down.
I'm somewhat in the same boat Knothead. Because of the layout of my property (all ridge-and-hollow oak forest surrounded by huge agricultural bottomlands), in a great acorn year, we draw most of the deer out of the bottomlands up into our hill country because of the acorn crop. Our hunting season deer population peaks in those years. However, we don't see as many of these deer while hunting because they don't have to move much to find food. Yet, in a poor acorn year, we draw a smaller percentage of the bottomland deer, but what does come up into the hills moves a lot more daily to find food, and we see a much higher percentage of them. Sort of a catch 22.

Ski

Guys what is the most exhaustive resource for mast crops in the southeast? I'd love to find a book dedicated to this to expand my knowledge.

That's a good question. I'd be interested as well. I'm originally from southern Ohio. Lived here for 6yrs. A lot of vegetation is the same but there are some things here that aren't up there. I'm always having to search google or ask locals about stuff I find. Maypops are a good example. I'd never seen one in my life before moving here. Turns out they're a native passion fruit.

camoman270

I would be tickled to death to see chinquapin acorns for opening day I believe they are a deers favorite. I have seen a few whites but mainly blacks. I believe it's going to be a decent year for acorns in general on the east side.
In abundance in Wayne County, as well as white oak and some red oak varities

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-120348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811-120348_Gallery.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 42
I'm somewhat in the same boat Knothead. Because of the layout of my property (all ridge-and-hollow oak forest surrounded by huge agricultural bottomlands), in a great acorn year, we draw most of the deer out of the bottomlands up into our hill country because of the acorn crop. Our hunting season deer population peaks in those years. However, we don't see as many of these deer while hunting because they don't have to move much to find food. Yet, in a poor acorn year, we draw a smaller percentage of the bottomland deer, but what does come up into the hills moves a lot more daily to find food, and we see a much higher percentage of them. Sort of a catch 22.
I agree. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Brandon87

Seen the white oaks are falling a bit in Williamson county. Found trees are loaded in parts of the new lease that I picked up.

BSK

Acorns were really starting to fall at my place. Most are not mature (still green or only partially brown). I think it is more the case of trees dumping their excess acorn crop. But that hasn't mattered to the deer. They must be on them hard because they have absolutely vanished from the food plots. Where I was normally getting 25-30 videos per week on food plots, I only got 4 or 5 over the last week.

jejeffrries71

Yes. I killed a nice buck last year by finding a early falling grove of them on the edge of a thicket. Shot him the first week of season. Those persimmons can be very productive when falling before the acorn drop…
I have noticed one dropping yellow and orange fruit. Others are really green. I think it depends on exposure. Only acorns I see on the ground are sawtooth.