Marlin Firearms Closing

TLRanger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
1,736
Location
Bellevue and Carroll Co TN
MARLIN FIREARMS CLOSING ITS DOORS


Even if you do not own a gun you need to know this. I checked this out on "Truth or Fiction" who verified it. I trust them more than Snopes.

Marlin Firearms is already closing its doors! They are doing it to us, America! This needs to be spread to all gun owners and sportsmen/women. We cannot rely on the media to inform us of these types of matters.

Something you may not know that Is happening ... Who is buying the companies manufacturing guns??? For the last several years a company called The Freedom Group has been buying up gun and ammunition manufacturers. Some of the companies are Bushmaster, Marlin, Remington, DPMS, Dakota Arms and H&R.

Some people worry that this Freedom Group is going to control most of the firearms companies in the United States. If you
control the manufacturers you can decide to stop selling to
civilians.

What a perfect way to control guns. Now if you do some digging you will see that The Freedom Group is owned by a
company called Cerberus Capital Management. Guess who controls Cerberus??? GEORGE SOROS, Obama's chief financier!! He wants to restrict or ban all civilian guns. Please pass this on to all your freedom loving friends. This needs to come out. Why have we not heard about this in the "mainstream" media? I would think this would be BIG news. (Soros also owns Progressive Insurance).

f you don't know who George Soros is, you need to do some research. This One-World Government atheist backed Obama with millions of dollars and Obama is a puppet on a string controlled by Soros.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
I've heard this about Marlin closing but I can't understand why? They have the lever action market in their hands. Henry and the few Winchesters being produced wouldn't compare to the Marlins I would think. Yeah, Rossi makes their new lever action but Rossi quality can't compare to Marlin. It just doesn't make sense to close the doors when you almost have a monopoly??

And if there was some conspiracy to shut down gun manufacturers, why would they hit a company that makes lever action rifles? They are the least controversial guns available.
 

Vermin93

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
10,645
Location
Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN
100% certifiable BS.

George Soros has no involvement with Cerberus. Cerberus put The Freedom Group up for sale in December following the Newtown massacre after receiving pressure from investors with the California State pension system

We should hope that a good company buys The Freedom Group. My understanding is that many of the brands under their ownership have suffered from reduced quality and higher prices as a result of being consolidated. In my opinion, new Marlins do not seem to be built as well as older Marlins and my Remington 700 is the cheapest feeling rifle I own. Definitely not worth what I paid for it new.
 

Vermin93

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
10,645
Location
Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN
Hunter 257W said:
I've heard this about Marlin closing but I can't understand why? They have the lever action market in their hands. Henry and the few Winchesters being produced wouldn't compare to the Marlins I would think. Yeah, Rossi makes their new lever action but Rossi quality can't compare to Marlin. It just doesn't make sense to close the doors when you almost have a monopoly??

And if there was some conspiracy to shut down gun manufacturers, why would they hit a company that makes lever action rifles? They are the least controversial guns available.

Remington owns Marlin. They closed the Marlin plants a few years ago and moved production of Marlin firearms to Remington plants. If you buy a new Marlin it's built by Remington, hence the reduction in quality. The good news is there are almost always a few older Marlins in good condition available on gunbroker for a decent price. That's where I got my Marlin 30-30 WIN and 35 Remington lever guns. I love old school Marlin rifles.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
I have a bunch of Remington 700's and I can't understand how they got such a name for poor quality. I've never had the 1st problem with one nor do I see how a production rifle could be any better?

What model 700 did you buy? One of the real cheap versions?? An ADL maybe??

Yeah, I knew that Remington had purchased Marlin a while back.
 

89cherokeelimited

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
813
Location
TN, Sumner, Hendersonville
Cerberus is actually in control by George Kollitides currently.
after Sandy Hook they are selling off all investments in the Freed Group.
They have no intention in holding guns or keeping guns or ammo from us.
Cerberus is getting rid of any and all stakes they have in all firearms companies.
Also Remington is in with the Freedom Group also.
 

Vermin93

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
10,645
Location
Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN
Hunter 257W said:
I have a bunch of Remington 700's and I can't understand how they got such a name for poor quality. I've never had the 1st problem with one nor do I see how a production rifle could be any better?

What model 700 did you buy? One of the real cheap versions?? An ADL maybe??

Yeah, I knew that Remington had purchased Marlin a while back.

I have a 700 CDL in 7mm REM Mag and a 700 CDL stainless fluted in 280 Remington. They will be up for sale this year. They were both made in the past few years. I rate them behind my TC ICON, Winchester Model 70 and Ruger No. 1 and about the same as my Weatherby Vanguard in terms of quality feel. The 700 CDL's shoot good enough, but now that I have other rifles to compare them to I think they are too expensive for the quality that you get. My ICON cost a hundred less and it is just a much better made and more accurate rifle. I think a 700 should cost about the same as a comparable Weatherby Vanguard, but that's just my opinion.
 

BlountArrow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
3,161
Location
SouthEast Tenn
Vermin93 said:
If you buy a new Marlin it's built by Remington, hence the reduction in quality.

I couldn't agree more when referring to the more recent Remington bolt action rifles. I have a few older Remington bolt action rifles and they are great; nothing like what they're making today.

Vermin93 said:
I have a 700 CDL in 7mm REM Mag and a 700 CDL stainless fluted in 280 Remington. They will be up for sale this year. They were both made in the past few years. I think a 700 should cost about the same as a comparable Weatherby Vanguard, but that's just my opinion.

X2 - not what they used to be; and I hate it.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
I also have a 700 CDL stainless fluted in 257 Weatherby that I got 2 years ago and I don't see how anybody could find fault with it as far as form, fit or function is concerned. Now if you say you think it's ugly/gaudy or just plain doesn't appeal to you, then that's a matter of personal taste and there's no accounting for that. Not sure what you had to pay for yours but I got mine for something like $875 since I have an FFL and can buy wholesale.

I can't fault you on liking anything made by TC or Winchester 70's and anybody that doesn't like Ruger No 1's should be deported. LOL :)
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
BlountArrow said:
Vermin93 said:
If you buy a new Marlin it's built by Remington, hence the reduction in quality.

I couldn't agree more when referring to the more recent Remington bolt action rifles. I have a few older Remington bolt action rifles and they are great; nothing like what they're making today.

Vermin93 said:
I have a 700 CDL in 7mm REM Mag and a 700 CDL stainless fluted in 280 Remington. They will be up for sale this year. They were both made in the past few years. I think a 700 should cost about the same as a comparable Weatherby Vanguard, but that's just my opinion.

X2 - not what they used to be; and I hate it.

I just don't see this. I have model 700's dating from about 1990 to a couple of years ago and I see no change? What kind of shortcoming are we talking about? Part failures? Barrel channels cut 1/8 inch too wide?? Am I just exceptionally lucky with my rifles?
 

BlountArrow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
3,161
Location
SouthEast Tenn
I personally think you are extremely fortunate. I have seen several out of the box that are just plain rough. Rough as in poorly machined actions mostly. I have also heard more than a few complaints on accuracy out of the box. The worst thing Remington ever did was make the 710 model - when that came along I knew that they had foregone any care about maintaining their name with a high quality product. I'm no gunsmith and don't tinker with guns and triggers and actions - all I know is what I can visibly see, have felt, and have had folks come to me and complain about.
 

woodsman87

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
1,560
Location
south TN
I have a Remington 700 and I love it, don't want any other rifle. I like remington guns way better than any other brand as well. AS of now, I always plan on only using Remington guns.
I agree with the 710. Never should have made them, they are poor, cheap rifles to come from remington.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
BlountArrow said:
I personally think you are extremely fortunate. I have seen several out of the box that are just plain rough. Rough as in poorly machined actions mostly. I have also heard more than a few complaints on accuracy out of the box. The worst thing Remington ever did was make the 710 model - when that came along I knew that they had foregone any care about maintaining their name with a high quality product. I'm no gunsmith and don't tinker with guns and triggers and actions - all I know is what I can visibly see, have felt, and have had folks come to me and complain about.

I think the model 710 is where most of these quality complaints are coming from. They never were meant to be a "good" rifle. Those were intended for the guy who sort of wants to deer hunt but doesn't want to spend a penny more than he has to. If you compare the model 710 with the older 788, which used to be Remington's cheap bolt action, you are correct that they are not nearly as good. It's not so much a matter of poor quality though as it is a cheaper design. The 788 had screw on barrels and good triggers. The last 788's were in fact well known for outstanding accuracy out of the box. Being a rear locking action though they - at least mine - had/has a problem with cases stretching and cracking in front of the solid head due to over working in the sizing die. Remington should have kept makeing the 788 but I guess they figured they would lose some of that entry leveel buyer action by doing so as the 788 prices weren't as far from the 700 as the 710 is.

Accuracy wise for model 700's, I was very pleased when my new 700CDL stainless fluted shot 3 shot 100yd groups of .5 to .6 inches with several loads. That was with a simple glass bedding job (no pillars). I did a bit of trigger adjusting to get it down to about 3 lbs also. I never even fired it before the bedding so don't know what it would do "out of the box".
 

BlountArrow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
3,161
Location
SouthEast Tenn
woodsman87 said:
I have a Remington 700 and I love it...

I have a 1988 Remington 700 Classic and LOVE it too, and I have another older 700 (90s model) and it too is a great gun. I probably wouldn't take $2,000 cash for my Classic; in fact, it will probably still be in my possession when I die and be passed down to one of my sons. I VERY rarely hunt with either, but they will flat out shoot, but again those are OLDER 700s.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,549
Location
Franklin County
BlountArrow said:
woodsman87 said:
I have a Remington 700 and I love it...

I have a 1988 Remington 700 Classic and LOVE it too, and I have another older 700 (90s model) and it too is a great gun. I probably wouldn't take $2,000 cash for my Classic; in fact, it will probably still be in my possession when I die and be passed down to one of my sons. I VERY rarely hunt with either, but they will flat out shoot, but again those are OLDER 700s.

1988? That would be a 35 Whelen then? I wish I had bought some of those Classics. Specifically the 7x57 and 257 Roberts. The 6.5x55, 222 and 8mm Mauser too. But there's always only so much money to spend on guns and so many guns to buy. :grin:
 

BlountArrow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
3,161
Location
SouthEast Tenn
Hunter 257W said:
I think the model 710 is where most of these quality complaints are coming from. They never were meant to be a "good" rifle.

I wonder if Remington would say the same :D ! They wouldn't but shame on them. Plenty of manufacturer's make inexpensive options that aren't a plastic piece of trash. I remember when they came out. You could still buy Ruger MKII M77 for about $50-$75 more. Of course you don't get a piece of trash scope with the Ruger like you did with the Model 710 (which was a $30 value). I don't doubt for a second that you have some cracker jack rifles; I just don't think it is the norm.
 

BlountArrow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
3,161
Location
SouthEast Tenn
Hunter 257W said:
1988? That would be a 35 Whelen then?

You would be dead on, sir. Yep, I've been known to love the odd balls every now and then. What I wouldn't give to have scarfed everything that used to come in the door on trade! Like you so many guns, but only so much room, and only so much money!
 
Top