Management of Cedars... (Updated)

Cull Buck Hunter

To the right person they may have some value, fence post, fencing and if large enough furniture. assuming it was used for a fence row and they are free of nails and wire. I cut several old growth off my property and made some rustic furniture.

DoubleRidge

To the right person they may have some value, fence post, fencing and if large enough furniture. assuming it was used for a fence row and they are free of nails and wire. I cut several old growth off my property and made some rustic furniture.

I agree...cedar is a beutiful wood...it's just an area this size is intimidating....and I considered attacking it myself...don't mind running a chainsaw one bit....just don't know with work schedules if I would ever complete the project....hoping this company can come in and complete the thinning in a reasonable amount of time.....but if there isn't enough tonnage I guess we could offer it to others....it's just not easy to find people who want that volume of cedar....or that can handle cutting that much....my understanding is this company trucks it to a mill in Kentucky to be processed.....looking forward to learning more about the process.

Cull Buck Hunter

I agree...cedar is a beutiful wood...it's just an area this size is intimidating....and I considered attacking it myself...don't mind running a chainsaw one bit....just don't know with work schedules if I would ever complete the project....hoping this company can come in and complete the thinning in a reasonable amount of time.....but if there isn't enough tonnage I guess we could offer it to others....it's just not easy to find people who want that volume of cedar....or that can handle cutting that much....my understanding is this company trucks it to a mill in Kentucky to be processed.....looking forward to learning more about the process.
It's an interesting process, i had about 25 acres thinned a couple years back, i grows back really quick, undergrowth especially.

DoubleRidge

It's an interesting process, i had about 25 acres thinned a couple years back, i grows back really quick, undergrowth especially.

Undergrowth is what we're hoping for.... currently I can step in the area and see 80+ yards....bottom limbs all dead 6 to 7 foot up....ground shaded out with little to no growth at ground level.....so if everything in a deers world is from ground to six foot up....this area is close to a barren desert.....hoping to stimulate tons of natural or native growth..... appreciate the input.... encouraging to hear from someone who has completed the same type project.

BSK

If I remember correctly, when Dr. Woods cut the cedar glades on his property, Mennonites did the cutting, keeping the larger cedar for split-rail fences and fence-posts.

DoubleRidge

How many acres we talking DR?

On tax map I measured one area as 11 to 12 acre .... another area 2 to 3 acre....then there are couple of other small patches....not sure if they will be interested in those? But he mentioned software he uses to evaluate opportunity...so I'm curious what he comes up with.

DoubleRidge

If I remember correctly, when Dr. Woods cut the cedar glades on his property, Mennonites did the cutting, keeping the larger cedar for split-rail fences and fence-posts.

Hadn't thought about the split rail fence supply.....I've done done bussiness with a few local Mennonites in our area.... purchased laying hens, vegetables, garden plants and even had a couple of deer processed....my experience doing business with them has been great....so if this company currently looking at the project falls through I might ask around in the local Mennonite community to see if there is any interest or if they know of anyone..... always good to have a backup plan....thanks.

DoubleRidge

Talked with the owner of the company. He's done his evaluation from aerial images and wants to meet and walk the property in person....so once all the snow melts and it drys up a bit we are going schedule a day to meet.....ball is rolling.

DavidW

I find this topic very interesting and relevant to my property. I appreciate the input and expertise from folks like BSK on this subject... the QM section has gotten a lot better with his return.

Please keep us posted with updates.

DoubleRidge

Update on the cedar harvest/thinning project....Met with the Forester today and walked the property....very knowledgeable guy...he believes we have enough cedar to bring a crew in....some logs big enough to saw for lumber....smaller stuff will be chipped....all of it will be trucked to Kentucky for processing....only challenge he is seeing is with him getting the big rig that hauls logs to the location deep in the property but he said he'll figure it out..... according to him the cedar market is strongest in the summer so that's when they do the most of their work...plus he doesn't like to get his equipment in the timber in the wet winter months...ruts, etc....in reality our job is small for this outfit but he said we caught him at a good time.....we are located inbetween two big contracts ....one of which is close is wrapping up so he's going to "try" to squeeze us in....but if he can't get it this summer....then it will be next summer...but when the time comes he said his crew will be in and out in one week..no more than two... weather permitting.....next step is he's going to put a proposal together describing the project and email it to me for review next week.....I'm hoping we can get the harvest complete this summer to get the canopy open and sunlight on the ground....but I know habitat improvements take time and we have to be patient....it just I've been studying on this project a while and am just anxious to get going.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Update on the cedar harvest/thinning project....Met with the Forester today and walked the property....very knowledgeable guy...he believes we have enough cedar to bring a crew in....some logs big enough to saw for lumber....smaller stuff will be chipped....all of it will be trucked to Kentucky for processing....only challenge he is seeing is with him getting the big rig that hauls logs to the location deep in the property but he said he'll figure it out..... according to him the cedar market is strongest in the summer so that's when they do the most of their work...plus he doesn't like to get his equipment in the timber in the wet winter months...ruts, etc....in reality our job is small for this outfit but he said we caught him at a good time.....we are located inbetween two big contracts ....one of which is close is wrapping up so he's going to "try" to squeeze us in....but if he can't get it this summer....then it will be next summer...but when the time comes he said his crew will be in and out in one week..no more than two... weather permitting.....next step is he's going to put a proposal together describing the project and email it to me for review next week.....I'm hoping we can get the harvest complete this summer to get the canopy open and sunlight on the ground....but I know habitat improvements take time and we have to be patient....it just I've been studying on this project a while and am just anxious to get going.
That's great! Hoping it works out for you this year. Everything happens for a reason.

DoubleRidge

Well....as mentioned....back in March I met with the owner of the company who harvest cedar....super nice guy, seems very knowledgeable....when we parted ways he said he would be in contact with me and would email me a management plan for our stand of cedar..... unfortunately I hadn't heard a word from him since that day? I know at the time we met he had two crews working on two large jobs...and I understand in his world our project is small....but was still hoping to hear something? Trying to be patient being there are not logging operations standing in line to take cedar..... knowing he was slammed when we met I've tried to leave him alone but may try to reach out to him soon if I don't hear anything..... anyway, I started this thread and got allot of great ideas from you guys....felt I owed y'all an update.... hopefully more information on the topic in the future.

DoubleRidge

Not much of an update....but still no word from the owner of the company who processes cedar? ....but Tuesday I will be attending the West Highland Rim Forestry Association meeting.....and the Forester we worked with on our management plan will be there.....he is who connected me with the cedar guy.... maybe he can update me on the situation.... trying to be patient because he originally showed interest and there are not many timber companies exactly standing in line for cedar in our area.....I'll post any further updates when or if they become available.

Huntaholic

Historic aerials is indeed an excellent resource; I found one from 1946 of my farm. Also, go for a walk with a logger or forester sometime...you talkin'bout someone who can read the land. Amazing what their eye and experience can see that we don't pick up on immediately.
LOL Ive cut 30" poplar out of corn rows before. Now granted, the average person cant see them, but if you've done this stuff as long as I have, you learn a few things. "Hillside turning plows" leave a distinctive signature if you know what to look for. It also helps to be old. Ive literally watched places go from pasture fields to decent timber.

Huntaholic

Well....as mentioned....back in March I met with the owner of the company who harvest cedar....super nice guy, seems very knowledgeable....when we parted ways he said he would be in contact with me and would email me a management plan for our stand of cedar..... unfortunately I hadn't heard a word from him since that day? I know at the time we met he had two crews working on two large jobs...and I understand in his world our project is small....but was still hoping to hear something? Trying to be patient being there are not logging operations standing in line to take cedar..... knowing he was slammed when we met I've tried to leave him alone but may try to reach out to him soon if I don't hear anything..... anyway, I started this thread and got allot of great ideas from you guys....felt I owed y'all an update.... hopefully more information on the topic in the future.
Text him or give him a call. Sometimes things slip our minds. I try to keep an actual list on paper of the jobs Ive looked at and traded for. Don't hound him to death but a call isn't going to hurt anything. Our jobs are very much weather related and we cant control that.
I wish I knew somebody around here that did cedar. I could keep them very busy. Unfortunately for me, my overhead is too high and the volume of production is too low with cedar for me to be able to do it.

DoubleRidge

Text him or give him a call. Sometimes things slip our minds. I try to keep an actual list on paper of the jobs Ive looked at and traded for. Don't hound him to death but a call isn't going to hurt anything. Our jobs are very much weather related and we cant control that.
I wish I knew somebody around here that did cedar. I could keep them very busy. Unfortunately for me, my overhead is too high and the volume of production is too low with cedar for me to be able to do it.

Yeah I definitely don't wanna hound him....I know he's busy and weather has been wet in certain areas....and when we met he did have equipment on a big job.....I did text him a month or so back but must not have caught him at a good time....next attempt at contact will be a call....and while I'm interested in doing the project it's no emergency or anything....but would like to confirm I'm still on the list.

Latest posts