Mag primers vs standard

Rockhound

I've been reading lately, and have came across several accounts of people working up loads with standard primers in magnum cartridges, with outstanding results. Anyone tried it?

MUP

I'm using CCI LR primers in my 300 WinMag. Couldn't get the accuracy with the mag primers . It also has a lot to do with the powder you're using as well, some powders ignite easier than others. I also use CCI LR primers in my 300 WSM, and am using AA 4350 powder.

Omega

Some argue that a primer may change your load, so you should always work up a load looking for pressure sign anytime you change a variable. But I have not heard of any major issues caused by swapping between the two, but I always have both on-hand, just in case.

MUP

My concern was that LR Primers may not ignite in colder weather, but talking to some guys who live in the Northwest territory convinced me that I would be fine, as they use LR primers as well in their mag rifles, with certain powders that is.

Rockhound

I've got a new (to me) 7mm wsm, I've been researching loads, and ran across some stuff about it. I may try it. Looks like I'm gonna give imr 4350 a try.

fairchaser

It's probably similar to using small primer brass in .308 versus lR primers. It burns slower and more even resulting in better accuracy. But, I use the magnum primers in my 300 wm with great results 1/2 MOA at 300 yards using 4831sc.

DaveB

IIRC, with the advent of the Weatherby magnums there was a perceived need for primers that would ignite the IMR7828 powder. Federal came up with the 215.

You will see opinions that any powder charge over 60 grains should be ignited using magnum primers.

If you are going to experiment using large rifle primers in a mag caliber I would be sure to include a chronograph.

GOODWIN

Was going to ask about this with the impeding primer shortage...

Not to hijack but who has used magnum primers in standard cartridges? I have more of them than anything

Safari Hunt

If you read the disclaimers for reloading, it specifically says not to change anything. Primers might not change anything but why take a chance. BTW, been reloading for over 50 years.

Latest posts