Made a deer feeder to keep the hogs out....

gator-n-buck

gator-n-buck

They use these type feeders in FL/GA to help keep the hogs out. I built this to bolt together so it could be transported and carried into the woods. Might have to add 2×4s on the narrow side on legs if the hogs knock it over. This one will take the test run.

D

dmonty

Supporter
Bruce just curious what make this design hog proof, the height? Looks good

gator-n-buck

gator-n-buck

dmonty":24fjqu26 said:
Bruce just curious what make this design hog proof, the height? Looks good

Its hard for hogs to stretch over the 28" to the top and reach over to feed.

I spent most of last season feeding the hogs instead of the deer... Lol

D

DavidW

Looks great. Maybe drill some drain holes

gator-n-buck

gator-n-buck

DavidW":1b61podf said:
Looks great. Maybe drill some drain holes

I put a 2×4 bottom in and gapped them a little so it will drain. I decided to go that route instead of plywood and drilling holes.

M

Mike Belt

Just like the gravity feeders I built. You might consider adding a couple of pieces of plywood under the roof that angle down from the roof to a few inches above the feeding trough (V shaped). At the top they're as wide apart as the underside of the roof and at the bottom they're about 4" apart. This way you can load the feeder (inside the "V") and it feeds more into the trough as it's eaten. As well it's less susceptible to rain except for the feed that's in the trough at the time. I also hinged my roof. This way I can drive right up to mine, jump in the back of the truck or on my ATV, raise the roof, and fill. Mine hold about 400 pounds of corn.

As a side note, you'd think that would last a while. I have a feeder about 50 yards from my back porch. I've had as many as 18 deer standing around it at a time... along with a bunch of squirrels and coons and crows. I've seen all kinds of different displaying and fighting and rubbing and scraping and it has been purely entertaining while sitting on the back porch but I was spending $400 a month to keep it active. I had to quit.

L

landman

I sold a Big place this past year for a clinic that fed mineral/feed mix year round and wasn't going to replace the tract so all the hunting stuff was sold. I had already discussed feeding during a short time of the season trying to hold deer off a sorry managed property during a few week period with my GW, he told me what guidelines to follow and it seemed to work well for my needs.

I was concerned about hogs, but never got a picture of them in the feeder or even using them, the just seems to walk by, but I do feel if the numbers where higher like they have been in the past.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 540
gator-n-buck

gator-n-buck

landman":2fn4f4sz said:
I sold a Big place this past year for a clinic that fed mineral/feed mix year round and wasn't going to replace the tract so all the hunting stuff was sold. I had already discussed feeding during a short time of the season trying to hold deer off a sorry managed property during a few week period with my GW, he told me what guidelines to follow and it seemed to work well for my needs.

I was concerned about hogs, but never got a picture of them in the feeder or even using them, the just seems to walk by, but I do feel if the numbers where higher like they have been in the past.

We have a bad hog problem no matter how high I hung the gravity feeders on the tree last year. They would bump them with there nose.

L

landman

gator-n-buck":31d3y0x3 said:
landman":31d3y0x3 said:

We have a bad hog problem no matter how high I hung the gravity feeders on the tree last year. They would bump them with there nose.
I got 3 of these from him and expected to have pictures of hogs in all 3 of them, really surprised they never showed them any attention, but my hog numbers were very low this year. I killed the only one we saw during season, but they have know showed up more, my dad killed 2 Friday afternoon this week, guess I will see how they do when I fill feeders back up this week.