M2 20g TSS #9, Indian Creek

TNReb

I really thought I had posted these patterns in this subforum before, but apparently not. Here's some results for future reference...

Shots are at 40 yards.

M2 20g, 26" barrel, Indian Creek .555

The load is Hal's Big 20 Stubby XL, TSS #9

a66e6089b508681ff28d569950d7a3e2.jpg

Same gun and choke with Hal's Big 20 Stubby NC, #9

61f5464fff6a6c43b7ccbe7861af7697.jpg

TNReb

SKFOOTER":16qz35l2 said:
Awesome patterns. Have you patterned those loads with any larger chokes??

I tried it with a Carlsons .580 and it was no good out of my gun. I tried several other chokes, but I can't remember the constrictions. The Indian Creek was hands down the best, but actually a little tighter than I would prefer. However, I tried A LOT of stuff out of my 20g last year (Hevi, Federal, TSS)... all with a variety of chokes. Once I found the Stubby XL with the Indian Creek I was happy enough to stop spending time and money chasing the perfect pattern. I killed two turkeys last year and they both dropped like a sack of rocks.

REN's gun is a 24" M2 and mine is a 26". We shoot together and there is often quite a bit of difference in our performance when using the same choke and same load.

TNReb

SKFOOTER":2zcmi54p said:
I have a Franchise Affinity with a 26" barrel and I'm trying to find the best choke for the Big 20XL TSS load of #9"s.

Is that the MobilChoke system? If so, I'm about to be patterning a new 20g with the same choke. I've got a couple of cheap chokes already ordered to try out. If they don't work for me, I'll be happy to mail them to you and let you try them. If you find one you like, we can work something out and you can keep it. If you don't like them, you can just mail them back. PM me if you're interested...

Andy S.

Looking good. Both will get the job done, but out of those two, I'd prefer to hunt with Hal's Big 20 Stubby NC to give me more insurance (pellets in between the 10" ans 20") if the turkey's head moves or I happen to pull, which happens from time to time.

SKFOOTER

Patterned my 1 5/8 oz Big 20 XL Stubby TSS #9 load thru my Franchi Affinity w/26" barrel/Carlsons .575 extended choke combo over the weekend and was very impressed. 320 in the 10" @ 40 yds and 155 in the 20".

SKFOOTER

SKFOOTER":1884giw0 said:
Patterned my 1 5/8 oz Big 20 XL Stubby TSS #9 load thru my Franchi Affinity w/26" barrel/Carlsons .575 extended choke combo over the weekend and was very impressed. 320 in the 10" @ 40 yds and 155 in the 20".
f0669bd43f6cdcf758b313676647a9e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt 365

I'm in the 20 gauge club now. Been shooting Fed HW 7s for a couple years. I have no reloading equipment. Is there a source to buy these TSS bad a$$ shells? Gotta have some.

elknturkey

Can't legally buy them but easy to make. My buddy has an infinity and with the .555 Indian creek averages 280 with 1 7/16 oz load. Have not ran a 1 5/8 load thru it. My m2 with .555 will do 300-315 consistently with the 1 7/16 and same with the 1 5/8 so I shoot the 1 7/16 for the extra speed. Tried several chokes and Indian creek was the best with jebs second

Southern Sportsman

Not actually illegal to sell them, but most people wont for a number of reasons. The shot is expensive, so the shells cost $5.50-$6.00 a piece in just materials (for 20 ga). And they're loaded one at a time, so it's time intensive. Just not worth it for most. But it doest require reloading equipment other than a scale ($20-30 digital scale) and a roll crimping bit ($20). Materials (other than shot) are sold by the 100 or 250, so there are some up-front costs. But once you stock up, you got what you need.

elknturkey

Illegal without a ffl06 license technically if going into business but the liability alone isn't worth it

Southern Sportsman

elknturkey":4iuj7o9t said:
Illegal without a ffl06 license technically if going into business but the liability alone isn't worth it
Illegal to sell them without a license if manufactured and sold "as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured." Not illegal to sell a few to other turkey hunters because they're awesome shells. Regardless,100% agree on liability concerns making it unwise.

But we've gotten sidetracked. These are awesome patterns. I've had a hankering to set up a 20 gauge for a few years now. I've got a .410 almost ready for this year. Hopefully in the next year ot two I'll get my 20 gauge game in gear.

jotahech

I loaded some 8.5's last season. I didn't count, but, I call it good. Way better than the federal hw 7's and cost me about the same to load.

fairchaser

Those are some awesome good patterns for a 20 gauge but why the 20 gauge? Is it that much lighter and easier to carry through the woods or is it just one of those things? What's next a .410? Should I just skip the 20 and go straight to the .410? I do love a challenge. Maybe it's just one of things about getting the most from the least. I don't see anyone here showing off their 10 gauge patterns.

Bgoodman30

fairchaser":2jx0zv5y said:
Those are some awesome good patterns for a 20 gauge but why the 20 gauge? Is it that much lighter and easier to carry through the woods or is it just one of those things? What's next a .410? Should I just skip the 20 and go straight to the .410? I do love a challenge. Maybe it's just one of things about getting the most from the least. I don't see anyone here showing off their 10 gauge patterns.

I'm switching to a 20 mainly for the weight factor. The M2 20 gauge at 5.5 lbs is a game changer. Love that gun!

Bgoodman30

TNReb":2wjwi1bh said:
SKFOOTER":2wjwi1bh said:
Awesome patterns. Have you patterned those loads with any larger chokes??

I tried it with a Carlsons .580 and it was no good out of my gun. I tried several other chokes, but I can't remember the constrictions. The Indian Creek was hands down the best, but actually a little tighter than I would prefer. However, I tried A LOT of stuff out of my 20g last year (Hevi, Federal, TSS)... all with a variety of chokes. Once I found the Stubby XL with the Indian Creek I was happy enough to stop spending time and money chasing the perfect pattern. I killed two turkeys last year and they both dropped like a sack of rocks.

REN's gun is a 24" M2 and mine is a 26". We shoot together and there is often quite a bit of difference in our performance when using the same choke and same load.

Just due to the barrel length? What differences are you seeing?

Latest posts