Lots of talk…

Roost 1

D7E03C35-C7D9-4252-BD44-10DEF8226A69.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

Just a loop with a clasp on each end and cheap crimp. 10 to 12ft cable. Makes it crazy easy to attach to the trap and just loop around a tree and clasp back to itself.
I like the idea, but coons are smart as hell. I personally wouldn't change to that. I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I've seen coons figure out some remarkable things

Rockhound

And that is easy to do!
I went for quite a while not know about the "setting tool", and wondered why others claimed the dp traps were so "easy" to set!

For anyone "new" to trying trapping ---- research all the available "setting" tools for the type traps you're trying. These "tools" make it much easier.

The only one that's still a bit challenging to me now is the 330 Conibear. Even with the tools, usually takes me multiple attempts. Maybe in part because I'm a bit "scared" of it. If you try one of these 330s (for beaver) be sure to get the additional safety clip (which becomes last thing you remove when setting).
Those things make my butthole draw up lol

TheLBLman

Those things make my butthole draw up lol
No shat, Sherlock!
I set up one late yesterday evening, and had much trouble getting one of the springs fully opened. Finally got the springs open, latches clipped, got trap into place (in a pond), unlatched spring clips, then noticed I had totally forgotten the most important safety clip!

I guess really should have a 2nd person to set up a 330 conibear, just in case your hand gets caught in it.

TN Larry

So I've had a skunk eying my trap from trail cam, how do you get one out?

Edit……I just read in the trapping forum to shoot them through the lungs to keep them from spraying. I'm gonna now get to try it out because I just got a pic from my cam that I've got him. Wish me luck. Lol
So an update..................my initial plan was to shoot the skunk and let it lay for a day or two before taking it from the trap. I read in another thread that shooting through the lungs would result in no spray. So I grabbed the 22 rifle and headed over there. A quick 30 yard shot behind the shoulder made short work of it. I couldn't smell that it sprayed so decided to go ahead and get it out of there. I did have gloves on and removed it from the trap and had my son help me reset the trap. I carried him off with gloves but did touch my cell phone with the gloves. I could smell him pretty strong when I picked him up so still not sure if he sprayed or not. Well, we get home and could still smell it. Crap...........we finally figured out that my phone case and son's hands smelt like a skunk and then it came to me. We got that off of the "stinking" trap when we reset it. LOL...........so lesson learned in that department but hope to not catch a skunk for a while.

Hduke86

So an update..................my initial plan was to shoot the skunk and let it lay for a day or two before taking it from the trap. I read in another thread that shooting through the lungs would result in no spray. So I grabbed the 22 rifle and headed over there. A quick 30 yard shot behind the shoulder made short work of it. I couldn't smell that it sprayed so decided to go ahead and get it out of there. I did have gloves on and removed it from the trap and had my son help me reset the trap. I carried him off with gloves but did touch my cell phone with the gloves. I could smell him pretty strong when I picked him up so still not sure if he sprayed or not. Well, we get home and could still smell it. Crap...........we finally figured out that my phone case and son's hands smelt like a skunk and then it came to me. We got that off of the "stinking" trap when we reset it. LOL...........so lesson learned in that department but hope to not catch a skunk for a while.
The stuff is like glitter, you'll somehow get it on you one way or another

JCDEERMAN

The stuff is like glitter, you'll somehow get it on you one way or another
🤣 spreads like glitter - that is the best way of putting it. I HATE glitter. If you deal with a skunk, you're going to be smelling it for a while. Even when they don't spray, small fragments of their scent saturates your clothes. You basically just try to minimize it.

TN Larry

🤣 spreads like glitter - that is the best way of putting it. I HATE glitter. If you deal with a skunk, you're going to be smelling it for a while. Even when they don't spray, small fragments of their scent saturates your clothes. You basically just try to minimize it.
Which is where we are at now...................just don't touch the dang trap. LOL.

If I see another skunk on trailcam, I'm pulling them traps. :)

spoon

Just a loop with a clasp on each end and cheap crimp. 10 to 12ft cable. Makes it crazy easy to attach to the trap and just loop around a tree and clasp back to itself.
I do something little differently. I use about 20" of cable with the dead end (not the end attached to the DP) large enough for the trap to slip thru after going around the tree

RobDooley

Coons and Possums are the number one nest predators to turkeys, so anyone you can dispatch is a nest saved. I generally just toss them as there is no market for them. Raccoon makes really good BBQ though if you wanted to try it. Dogproofs are easy and fool proof, and anytime you can make it happen, it's worth it.
I have read where their fishing rod (bone) is in demand.

square

I'm a brand new trapper but I've learned a couple of things. Clint Locklear of Predator Control Group has some videos of how coons snd Coyotes act around trap sets. They are called Teachers of the Night. Well worth the Time it takes to view them. It will really change your ideas about trapping.

I use a 2 in auger to make a dirt hole set. You can use the same auger to drill down beside earth anchors. You can then pull them up easily

Displaced_Vol

My box of DPs I ordered from TFT showed up this weekend. I've got the basic gist of it but need to get schooled up some more. Hopefully have some out towards the end of the week or weekend at the latest.

Latest posts