Looks Mature but Should he get Another Year?

redblood

BlountArrow":2cj2tr5h said:
W.Seay":2cj2tr5h said:
I don't think he'll gain much in the antler department, even by giving him another year.
Thanks for the input. For me, on this property that is the big question. Maybe I should have added too that this is South East TN, which isn't to say there aren't some dandy mountain bruisers here and there, but for our property he's probably within 20 inches of the largest bucks we've ever seen (and trust me the place is NOT crawling with them). One or two bucks the last three years; and he's one of maybe three this year.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

well then with that info being added, you may want to shoot if he shows.

BlountArrow

tree_ghost":1e1xew89 said:
I would age this buck at 4.5yo...to me the thickness of the neck flows directly into the depth of the chest and brisket...front half of the body is symmetrical in thickness to the back half...also notice the apparent "short" muzzle on this buck, this is an indicator at this time of year that he's a 4.5...that being said I'd put him in the 115"-120" range...the jump from 4.5 to 5.5 usually will have the most noticeable difference in rack size when you look at the mass...tine length usually doesn't change much but many times this age class will start shooting sticker points off if the deer possesses those genetic traits... That being said if your a trophy hunter with the opportunity at a higher class buck then I say pass on him...just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wasn't going to mention the short muzzle but I thought the same thing; that it looked short!

String Music

That looks to be a mature buck with poor genetics. I would also put him at 4.5. It looks like he has a tear in his ear.

There is no way to know for sure if he will be bigger next year. My opinion is, if you are asking other people whether or not to shoot him, you likely won't be completely satisfied if you do kill him.

If he isn't what you are looking for, give him a pass.

Winchester

There is no way to know for sure if he will be bigger next year. My opinion is, if you are asking other people whether or not to shoot him, you likely won't be completely satisfied if you do kill him.

If he isn't what you are looking for, give him a pass.[/quote]

There you have it, let him go, as if you even questioned shooting him hes not big enough! You have NOTHING to lose by letting him walk.

BlountArrow

String Music":v01shojy said:
That looks to be a mature buck with poor genetics. I would also put him at 4.5. It looks like he has a tear in his ear.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the input. Yeah, I'm very much back and forth.

Looking forward to seeing your pics soon... :)

Mike Belt

Pretty buck but if you're looking for something bigger let him walk. I quit counting bucks like that I've let walk. They may be mature or close to it and may not put on much if any more antler growth but if they aren't what I'm looking for they walk. It all depends on what you're happy with. I guess I'm greedy, lol. I want mature bucks but with head gear that impresses me which really narrows the playing field. Just watching them fires me up and occasionally they teach me a thing or two.

String Music

BlountArrow":1yix8bxk said:
String Music":1yix8bxk said:

Thanks, man. I appreciate the input. Yeah, I'm very much back and forth.

Looking forward to seeing your pics soon... :)

You would have seen pics last Saturday if I could shoot straight. Dang open sights!

BlountArrow

String Music":22yvvcm1 said:
Do you have anymore pics of this buck?
Yeah, I think I have one or two...let me see if I can find them. My trail cam surveying is so unorganized. I need to install some sort of software to help keep track of it all.

BlountArrow

Mike Belt":14vfgb9z said:
Pretty buck but if you're looking for something bigger let him walk. I quit counting bucks like that I've let walk. They may be mature or close to it and may not put on much if any more antler growth but if they aren't what I'm looking for they walk. It all depends on what you're happy with. I guess I'm greedy, lol. I want mature bucks but with head gear that impresses me which really narrows the playing field. Just watching them fires me up and occasionally they teach me a thing or two.
I don't think it's greedy if you're truly grateful for what you have and work for it.

BlountArrow

Here are some additional photos...

61aaca3a018fd292b521bc8298991410.jpg

b271a682a55be377b03ed6dbc74c29f2.jpg

594bc1964393926b78aecb3a3e156f22.jpg

Not 100% sure on this one:
0a9e56badd2078f64a7b0106918b5d8b.jpg

PillsburyDoughboy

Sausage.
He is ripe. Pick him. If you don't someone on the next farm over just might. Or he might get a FORD tattoo. Never know.

deerhunter10

I think he is 4.5 but I would personally on our farms like to see what he would do with another year. With that being said it is extremely difficult to kill a 4.5 in tn and very very difficult to kill a 5.5 in tn. But I would personally let him walk to see if nothing else what he would do.