Looks like time for NR to start using their PP's...

sneakybow

My unit is on that list, hunted it last year, really wish with the cool wet spring we've had this year that I would have waited. Hot and smoky last year.

megalomaniac

At this point, I could almost make an argument that the Feds should own no land and it should ALL be sold to private indivuals. Then let the states charge whatever they want for a NR license, and the can just buy access to the private property. Residents can buy access as well.

LanceS4803

Once we lose OUR Public Land, it is gone forever.
Everywhere will be like Texas, which has very limited public land, 4.2%.

megalomaniac

Once we lose OUR Public Land, it is gone forever.
Everywhere will be like Texas, which has very limited public land, 4.2%.
If states restrict OUR access by reducing NR tags to next to nothing, id almost rather OUR public lands be taken away from the states. It's one thing to charge $1000 to $1400 for a NR elk tag, but a whole another level to not issue ANY NR tags in the best units. And the only way to hunt an above average unit is to contract with an outfitter for $5000 or buy a landowner voucher for $5000 (in addition to the $1000 to $1400 elk tag.

Buzzard Breath

I'm hoping the 90/10 had people scared and they were just jumping in the draw this year. The units I have been considering all jumped more than a point this year, for all species. At this rate, my new draw strategy may be to put in for high point units and hope for a random tag.

Buzzard Breath

megalomaniac

A little light at the end of the tunnel.

I can guarantee you that personally I will not fund by spending any recreational dollars in any states out west that reduce NR unguided tags to the point where they are virtually unobtainable in a lifetime. I ve quit taking my recreation dollars to New Mexico, and if Wyoming ends up cutting a deal with the outfitters, I will not spend an additional dime in Wyoming except for gas. I'll camp instead of staying in a hotel and eating at restaurants, and instead buy all my groceries and camping supplies in Colorado before I cross state lines.

Conversely, I will support states that are fair to nonresident tag allocations by hunting there and supporting local businesses while on vacation.

AT Hiker

I've been watching the weather reports. Going to be a rough one this winter (and next Spring) if they don't get rain/snow.
By random luck, the area I hunt in SE MT is doing much better this year than just about any other year. Those spring snow storms havent helped but the moisture is up. Im hoping this turns things around for my area so the age class can get back to what it needs to be.
Of course MT has jacked up the draw odds so who knows if/when I will get to enjoy the benefits of the moisture.

tellico4x4

By random luck, the area I hunt in SE MT is doing much better this year than just about any other year. Those spring snow storms havent helped but the moisture is up. Im hoping this turns things around for my area so the age class can get back to what it needs to be.
Of course MT has jacked up the draw odds so who knows if/when I will get to enjoy the benefits of the moisture.
I've been pretty excited with the moisture this year next door to your spot in SD. Definitely much better than last year

th88

There's talk of Wyoming upping cost of NR tags by 40-50% and increasing price of preference points to $100. It'd put the NR special elk tag close to $2,000!

LanceS4803

There's talk of Wyoming upping cost of NR tags by 40-50% and increasing price of preference points to $100.
The only points I do for WY are pronghorn. Just too expensive with not a chance in hades for drawing anything else.

Latest posts