Food Plots looking to spread lime

megalomaniac

How many tons you need? Co op will bring a truck and spread it for you for a nominal fee, but I think 10 or 12 tons is the minimum.

For the areas not reachable by the truck for ag lime, I just use pelletized lime spread with a 3pt hitch on the tractor.

JCDEERMAN

3 options we've used. 1) Like mega mentioned - the truck from co-op, 2) if you wanted to do it yourself, a 3pt hitch spreader on the tractor (most hold about 300 lbs) - just make sure and rinse it out very well after each use, 3) you might be able to find a place that has ag lime and could come out and spread it for you - I know of one local place in my area.

Just know that pelletized lime become effective quicker than ag lime (powder).

DoubleRidge

I need about 25 tons

I agree with others....I'd go with Ag lime...hire spreader truck driver... my understanding is while the Ag lime is slower to work.....it last longer....and I know it cost much less per ton...but then I'm also told with the pelletized being concentrated you don't have to use as much per acre? So go figure (just don't ask me how to figure...I asked the guys at co-op and I still don't fully understand the calculation between Ag lime and pelletized?)..... So the challenge I ran into last year on food plots was the local lime truck drivers were booked up on bigger jobs, large hay fields, etc....so I did end up renting the co-op ground driven buggy and we spread fertilizer and pelletized lime at the same time....but it got expensive quick....I need to pull new soil samples to see where we are.....couple of the plots I'm sure need more lime.

Boll Weevil

I've done that much aglime with my tractor and a PTO driven buggy; it goes pretty fast really. Just make sure you got enough tractor especially if you got hills.

JCDEERMAN

and I know it cost much less per ton...but then I'm also told with the pelletized being concentrated you don't have to use as much per acre? So go figure (just don't ask me how to figure...I asked the guys at co-op and I still don't fully understand the calculation between Ag lime and pelletized?)
Correct, although I can't remember how much less of pelletized lime you use poundage-wise (ex. 1/2 or 1/3 as much, etc....). I did the math a couple years ago and the cost was just slightly more with pelletized lime than ag lime from the figures I was given. We've typically done ag lime - it's always been around $34 a ton where we've gotten it

DoubleRidge

I've done that much aglime with my tractor and a PTO driven buggy; it goes pretty fast really. Just make sure you got enough tractor especially if you got hills.

So you had the Ag lime delivered and dumped? Then loaded the PTO driven buggy with another tractor? Guess you would need a good dry day....that pile would need to stay good and dry right? ....I'm asking....never done it...but am curious about this option....seems like it may be a cost save.

Boll Weevil

So you had the Ag lime delivered and dumped?
No sir. The lime is actually delivered in the buggy which has a moving floor and spinner/spreader so all I do is hook up and go. Just go from spot to spot liming, when empty, took it back up to the blacktop where the 2nd was waiting. Repeat. Done.

1620155564158.png

JCDEERMAN

No sir. The lime is actually delivered in the buggy which has a moving floor and spinner/spreader so all I do is hook up and go. Just go from spot to spot liming, when empty, took it back up to the blacktop where the 2nd was waiting. Repeat. Done.

View attachment 72964
What service/company does this? What did it come down to per acre in total costs?

Boll Weevil

I use Nutrien Ag out of Whiteville, TN but keep in mind this is ag country so scale comes into play to some degree. The last time I limed real heavy was 2018 or 19 it was about $400 for 25 or 26 tons...that works out to $15 - $16 per ton. If the lime is wet a little less weight per buggy; dry lime a little more. It's not exact.

I'm going from memory here not looking at the actual invoice and the only thing I recall about diesel costs is it was less than it is now. I would have limed about 8 ac total at that time, average 3-3.5 ton per acre, so $50 per acre and I limed HEAVY...all high ground old log decks. Hope this helps.

BSK

If it is pelletized lime, any seed or broadcast spreader will work. Ground limestone requires a special lime buggy/truck with agitator.

RS

Since some of my plots are too difficult to get to with a spreader truck, I have always used a lime buggy similar to the one pictured above. The local CO-OP rents lime buggies, as well as sells Ag lime. The only problem with this method is that the lime buggy is so large, I can only have them put about 3 tons in one load (otherwise it gets a little scary pulling it down the road to the farm with my F150). I only do this when I have a small plot or two that needs to be re-limed. Normally, I have Ag lime brought in from Dickson by dump truck and dumped at the farm, then I will just rent the buggy from the CO-OP. I load the buggy myself with the front-end loader, then haul the buggy to the plots with the tractor.

BSK

Normally, I have Ag lime brought in from Dickson by dump truck and dumped at the farm, then I will just rent the buggy from the CO-OP. I load the buggy myself with the front-end loader, then haul the buggy to the plots with the tractor.
In my opinion, this works best.

eireog68

If it is pelletized lime, any seed or broadcast spreader will work. Ground limestone requires a special lime buggy/truck with agitator.
I agree if its pellets as long as it has the gator in the bottom of the spreader but most bulk ag lime is powder which also do not spread on a windy day and as ask said most co-ops will rent and some will loan a spreader on a first come first serve it depends on how much land you are doing for me if you are doing a small area get your own drop spreader and do it on your free time be it pellet or dust or powder.

Latest posts