Looking to get into reloading

CountryBoy053

I've never done the reloading before, but would like to start getting into it some, probably after all this dies down so I will be able to purchase stuff.

My question for all of you guys that do reload, what all will a newbie to reloading need to purchase to have a decent set up. Like I said, I've never done it at all, so if you can include websites with what I will need?

How difficult is reloading?

firefox

This and a rubber/wood mallet is all you need for bolt and lever action rifles. It only neck-sizes so you can only fire handloads you build with it through the rifle the case was originally fired it. For $30 plus powder primers and bullets you can make some astonishngly accurate handloads
This one is for .270 but others are available:

http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-270-win.html

DIRTTRAX

Any of the classic starter kits will work if you can find them. I recommend decent press and a good powder thrower/dispencer and not a cheap one. if you plan on sizing bigger caliber rifles (30-06 etc) I wouldnt get a c-style press.
But reloading is not as cheap as alot of non reloaders think it is. Unless you shoot several thousand rounds a year in my opinion its not any cheaper time you figure cost of materials,tools etc. But if your looking for more accurate loads or just the fact if you need ammo you can set down and make it, its worth it. It is time consuming with a single stage press. I have now upgraded to a progressive and can easily put out 300-400 pistol rounds an hour taking my time.

BirdDog123

KPH said:
What DIRTTAX said plus the first thing is get a good reloading manual and read it befor you buy anything else.

^ This. First thing you should do is buy a reloading manual and read it cover to cover. I started with the ABC's of reloading and it is very informative. Once you read this manual, you will know everything else you need to get started :)

Be prepared though, its a great hobby but I am not sure how much money you will save. Maybe some in the long run but its more about accuracy than anything.

I bought the lee anniversary to start out with and it works just fine. I get MOA handloads all the time.

CountryBoy053

Thank you guys! Definatly will be go and buying a manual now.

Through out the year, before the ammo scare. I would shoot a few thousand rounds a year of all different calibers. 9mm, .40cal, .223, 30-06, .243, .45, .38, .357

hunter0925

Brownells and midway both have reloading "starter kits". These kits come with most of the essentials that you will need minus dies, powder, primers, etc. When you look through manuals you will see different powder charges and the like. Just work up slow and watch for pressure signs when you get started. Remember that speed does not equal accuracy and it does shorten barrel life. Good luck!

Latest posts