looking to buy a muzzleloader

JoeDeer

i have a bow and a rifle....dont have a muzzleloader and would like to top off my trio of weapons....

problem is ...i have no idea where to start....what to look for what extra expenses are involved after the gun is purchased....heck...dont even know how to load one....im guessing its not too difficult....the guns range from 299 up to 799....

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Model70Man

What kind of ML are you looking for? Flintlock or 209 ignition.

The CVA is a good starter ML. They are inexpensive and are very good shooters. I've owned 2 different CVA's (Eclipse Magnum and the Optima).

A little higher in price and in quality IMO is TC. I have a TC Encore 50 cal ML and it's a tack driver. Lightweight and so easy to clean. The Omega is also another very good ML. I've never shot one but many on here talk highly of them.

Powder, Sabots, Bullets, Cleaning Supplies, and Bullet Starter are going to be some additional expenses.

kry226

Model70Man gave some great advice.

I'll throw my opinion in as well... there has been a long debate about what is best. There is no right answer, you just have to figure out what's best for you.

I have the Savage ML-10II. I have not participated in that million page thread here on TNDeer, but I do feel that this rifle is an outstanding ML.

Using smokeless, you don't have to clean it like other BP rifles. Shoot it and leave it without worrying if it will corrode. You can also use other types of black powder or BP substitutes, but will have to clean it like all other BP rifles.

It uses 209 primers for consistent ignition and there are several smokeless powders available that it shoots well. However, like reloading cartridges, you'll have to work up a load that your rifle likes, based on bullet, sabot and powder. Also, smokeless powder isn't as readily available like Pyrodex, etc. that you can find at WalMart. But to me, that disadvantage is outweighed by all of the other great characteristics of this rifle.

The ML-10II also comes with the Accutrigger, easily adjusted by you. It is a superb trigger.

I guess the biggest thing for you is to figure out what you're looking for, then research as much as you can. There are lots of muzzleloading forums and you can find years of reading there.

Good luck and welcome to the world of muzzleloading. I like my Savage and I haven't looked back since I bought it.

big jim

I have two inline ML's. One is of spanish heritage, the other american

My TC inline stainless has performed flawlelssly and I have enjoyed it for well over 7 years. It is a shooter. The quality and tight tolerances of Thompson Center has stood the test of time.

I was looking at the new pro TC encore but it is very pricey. For a couple hundred less I am giving serious consideration to the savage. I would be happy with either, but the savage is different and more flexible with the ability to shoot smokeless... and at some astonishing velocities.

Hickory Nut

Has anyone had any experience with a Traditions Pursuit Pro? A friend told me he has bought one and it's a very good ML. Accurate and easy to clean with a removable breech plug.

22rimfire

I would purchase the TC Omega. Accurate and dependable. I got a new stainless one last year for a pretty fair price ($235) that I just could not pass up. You won't go wrong with Thompson Center products.

grandslam

joe, i was in the same situation last year. had bow and rifle but no muzzleloader. what i did was i ordered a cva wolf. $159 bucks. prob. cheapest one out there. the reason i did it that way was that i had never shot one or loaded one so i did want to go out and spend 500 bucks on a gun that i might not even enjoy shooting or hunting with. because it is different in many ways. just a little advice

W.Seay

Get the savage smokeless with accutrigger! You will save yourself ALOT of headache ( very little cleaning involved, the frequency of cleaning is NOWHERE near what it is with blackpowder. The TC Encore and omega are also great muzzleloaders, but they both require alot of cleaning.

Encore Eye Candy

As u can tell by my call name or user name I'm an Encore fan. I have a total of 5. They are great rifles and MLs and they do have great customer service.

Do not get me wrong on my following statement:

I'm a person that wants more out of my firearm than just and average or exceptable limits. Like my first which was a Encore ML. I have shot over a number of years and I have tweaked it to death (that is what I like to do). To get what I've achieved from my ML I have put a lot of time, money, not to mention blood, sweat, and attitude into a friggin ML. By the way, this is not what I set out to do, it became an obsession because I loved or feel in love with single action firearms.

FYI: But I would purchase the one that you want or fill comfortable with and do not settle for less because like anything else you will not be happy with it, if you don't.

Just my opinion.

iowavf

Gotta love the TC products. I have a SS Encore myself and it was the first ML I purchased. I knew I woukld like ML hunting so decided not to go with the cheapest one I could find. I don't trade guns so when I buy one I'm going to have it for a long time, that's why I chose the Encore.

ewc

If you want an entry level mz, then the Knight Wolverine is fantastic for about $200.

The Encore is another great choice, but kry226 gave some great advice also.

I would pick what feels good to you in your price range.

I, too, have the Savage and would not trade it for anything. I have also owned a couple Knights and one Remington - if any of that matters. I have shot them all (including the Encore) and that is how my opinion is formed.

Good luck. I always remember the saying: "You get what you pay for".

It works with muzzleloaders too.

Latest posts