Looking for opinions.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

One area I have hunted for the last several years is a huge creek bottom surrounded by several hundred acres of hardwood ridges. Opening day I heard several gobblers on the roost who all went silent after flydown. I was able to to kill one mid-day after getting a hen fired up which got him to gobbling. Fast forward to the last few days and there has been very little gobbling. The last day I hunted this area there was no roost gobbling and on into the morning no answers to my calling. I also heard another hunter calling with no gobbling. Just when I started to think they may have moved out of the area an owl starts hooting around 11:30 and three different birds gobble.
My questions are #1 why have these birds been silent all morning but gobble every time the owl hooted?
#2 How would you go about hunting these birds? Opening weekend saw a lot of pressure with I'm sure a lot of aggressive calling.

Goodtimekiller

I think #2 answers #1, i have heard very little roost gobbling the last few days, killed one today that was strutting with 3 hens and never gobbled one time all morning. Patience, soft, subtle blind calling, owl hoot to locate or let the owls locate for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setterman

Your birds are locked down with hens. There's nothing more aggravating and frustrating. Honestly there isn't much you can do other than leave them be for a few weeks. After a few weeks the hens should start leaving. You'll be able to tell by an increase and duration of roost gobbling along with some ground gobbling. This signifies hens leaving during the day. When this happens hunt afternoons. If that doesn't work, get tight on the roost and many times they'll march right in. If this doesn't happen, give it another week and hang on when the hens are totally gone. It's easy pickings.

My advice don't push too hard, do not spook them or press too hard right now. Hunt smart and back out if they get quiet. Don't bushwhack or try to ambush you'll only make it worse later

TreyB

Setterman":ki90sf2g said:
Your birds are locked down with hens. There's nothing more aggravating and frustrating. Honestly there isn't much you can do other than leave them be for a few weeks. After a few weeks the hens should start leaving. You'll be able to tell by an increase and duration of roost gobbling along with some ground gobbling. This signifies hens leaving during the day. When this happens hunt afternoons. If that doesn't work, get tight on the roost and many times they'll march right in. If this doesn't happen, give it another week and hang on when the hens are totally gone. It's easy pickings.

My advice don't push too hard, do not spook them or press too hard right now. Hunt smart and back out if they get quiet. Don't bushwhack or try to ambush you'll only make it worse later

Great great info

Latest posts