Looking for new bow sight for Mathews V3

KatManDew

Been a while since i had to get a new sight. Looking for recommendations if there are other V3 or VXR shooters out there?

KatManDew

Wow, $350-$400. What does it do that other pin sights like the Apex Covert 4 pin sight, for example, doesn't?

KatManDew

Just curious why should I spend the difference in the $130 sights vs one like this in the $400 range. What is it doing differently for me?

paradis1142

I get what you're saying. I have one on my compound. $150 used. Build quality is the difference. Would i buy one for retail price? Probably not. But I'm ok with pre-owned stuff when its top of the line quality. It's not going to move, come out of adjustment, when stuff is built like a tank it cost more. Your sight is more important than the bow. Bows have been fantastic for years, the days of substandard bows left a long time ago. Why spend $1100 on a V3 when a $250 Switchback will do the same thing.

KatManDew

I get what you're saying. I have one on my compound. $150 used. Build quality is the difference. Would i buy one for retail price? Probably not. But I'm ok with pre-owned stuff when its top of the line quality. It's not going to move, come out of adjustment, when stuff is built like a tank it cost more. Your sight is more important than the bow. Bows have been fantastic for years, the days of substandard bows left a long time ago. Why spend $1100 on a V3 when a $250 Switchback will do the same thing.
Good point, but on the bows, you can get a vxr or v3 now and replace that switchback, and shoot 60lb draw instead of 70 and still gain speed. Thats how I justified that upgrade. I'm not saying you are wrong on the sight, i'm just trying to understand why they are 2-3x the cost when i have shot a $120 trophy ridge for 6-7 years without any movement issues. Say i want to stay in the $150 new range on a sight, whats the best options?

KatManDew

Do you have time in the field to range the animal and adjust those 1 pin sights before the shot? I'm not sure I would have that kind of time where I hunt.

JN

I am trying out a spot Hogg fast Eddie 2 pin where the pins are fixed and stacked in the center. I also like the larger field of view with a single pin and had tried a 5 pin last year but just couldnt get use to the crowded view again. Like others have said higher cost sights are usually just built better. Have had problems with cheaper sights rattling or not having good ways to micro adjust the sight or fiber optic breaking.

KatManDew

Thanks for recommendations. I broke down and bought a Black Gold Mountain Lite. Now the trick will be setting it up. I do like the idea of being able to move it once tuned for open field hunting. Pretty impressed so far. I have the top 2 pins sighted, just havent messed with sight tape yet. Going to make sure setup is all good and i am happy with it first.

Latest posts