Looking for guides in field dressing, butchering

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
I'm new to hunting and have needed to go with seasoned hunters in the event I get my first harvest and require direction in field dressing. I'd like to remove this tether and learn on my own, but the different tips & techniques I've come across can be contradictory. Is there a tried & true education source which describes the "right" way to field dress and butcher a harvest (deer or otherwise), perhaps with video tutorials?

Shotgun84

Like others said watch some videos and do your best man. Take your time and give yourself a chance to calm down before you go breaking blades out especially if it's your first deer. Speaking of blades make sure they're nice and sharp and that you have a sharpener on hand. Dont put too much pressure on yourself to get it all perfect the first time. Its a learning process. Anyone who says they haven't messed up field dressing a time or two isn't being honest. As far as the butchering part goes I just try to cut out each muscle group as neatly as I can and get as much of the tough stringy sinew off the meat as possible. I think there's some good tips in this article but you'll find your own way with time: https://www.fieldandstream.com/how-to-butcher-your-own-deer/
The fact that you care enough about doing a good job to ask folks and do research about it tells me you're gonna do just fine.
Good luck out there man

SteveJ

Like others have said, there's plenty of videos on YouTube to get tips from. I still do that from time to time to get tips. One tip I could give is when you make your first cut to open up the belly, make small, shallow cuts to make sure you don't puncture the guts. Don't just jab your entire blade in it to start. It can make it more messy and smelly

JeepKuntry

I had printouts years ago when I went to dress my first out. My advice is do not rush and start pulling. That is usually when the guts rupture. The smell doesn't bother me but some people cannot handle it when dressing one out. Start at the diaphragm and work back to the butt hole. Trim when needed. Reach as high as you can in the chest cavity and cut the esophogus. Things should fall out. Try to use a high side if you are by yourself where gravity can help you out.

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Like others said watch some videos and do your best man. Take your time and give yourself a chance to calm down before you go breaking blades out especially if it's your first deer. Speaking of blades make sure they're nice and sharp and that you have a sharpener on hand. Dont put too much pressure on yourself to get it all perfect the first time. Its a learning process. Anyone who says they haven't messed up field dressing a time or two isn't being honest. As far as the butchering part goes I just try to cut out each muscle group as neatly as I can and get as much of the tough stringy sinew off the meat as possible. I think there's some good tips in this article but you'll find your own way with time: https://www.fieldandstream.com/how-to-butcher-your-own-deer/
The fact that you care enough about doing a good job to ask folks and do research about it tells me you're gonna do just fine.
Good luck out there man
Kind words. Thank you!

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Most of all, take your time and go slow on the first couple. Do not get in a rush to get it done, that is how accidents happen. If you don't have a good knife, I'd recommend the Outdoor edge. This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-RazorPro-Replaceable-Hunting/dp/B00IM1BGOI
Your recommendations are appreciated. I can imagine it will be difficult to "calm down" after taking my first harvest, so this advice is invaluable. My father-in-law gave me this for Christmas a couple years ago to use on my first harvest: https://www.buckknives.com/product/102-buck-woodsman-knife/0102FAM01/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
If you were close by I'd offer to help after you got your first deer or two, but Rutherford is a little poke from Rhea
That's a kind offer! I'm sure there's great hunting there, especially being right on the Tennessee river. A buddy of mine moved to the Chattanooga area and loves all the options there.

Weegee

There's plenty of good advice above. I too have relied heavily on the Meateater tutorials. It's much easier to take extra care keeping meat free from hair, dirt, and debris than it is to try to clean that stuff off later. I recently got one of those butt-out tools and I'm a fan. They're like $8 and weigh basically nothing.

TNWhit3tail

Here is a good guide on field dressing. The most important thing is to have a very sharp knife!

Also, there's a channel called Deer Meat for Dinner..he has several skinning and cleaning videos...here's a line to one.

Bearded Butchers has some videos too. Just some things you might like to check out.

Latest posts