Looking for boots

Easy3actual

I'm in the market for some good all around hunting boots. I have rubber boots, but they're not the best for putting miles in. I'm in west TN and hunt a mix of private and public (Hatchie and Wolf River). I want something waterproof, insulated, and 8" high. I saddle hunt, so I move around a lot.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Weegee

I'm in the market for something similar. I got a pair of Danner Powderhorns for an Idaho trip last year. They're in insulated though because my feet sweat when I hike. To be honest I wish I would've spent another $150 and gotten some Crispi's or Kenetreks. I've heard really good things about the Salomon Quest though. They're in the $250 ball park. Not sure if they make an insulated model…

Andy S.

I really like my Salomon Quest 4D GTX, the previous model, with the metal eyelets. Pretty sure the newer model has plastic eyelets, so not sure what else may have changed, if anything. You can find solid deals on eBay.

This is the model I like. Salomon Quest 4D GTX

I also have Crispi Briksdal uninsulated but my verdict is still out as they are just now getting broke it. I have only owned them 6 month with all use/miles during Apr/May turkey season.

Safari Hunt

Son has worn out a few pairs of Danner boots. When he first started looking, the associate at the big box store said Danner boots can be resoled. Molded soles are throw-away. Local shoe repair guy said he has expensive boots brought in to be resoled. He tells them to toss the boots and get a brand that can be resoled.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have worn several pairs of the Danner Ft Lewis boots. They are waterproof and have 600 gm insulation. My feet get cold easily, and they didn't keep me warm on cold day sits.

Hduke86

DB9A00BA-9A1B-4C06-8CD4-1D5F6C479DC9.jpegOboz Bridgers in 8"are awesome hiking/hunting boots

Blackdog

I got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers for Christmas a couple of years ago...Gore-tex, 200gm Thinsulate (they have up to 1000g). So far so good, very comfortable.

Hduke86

I've got two pairs of Oboz, and I like them a lot. I just wish they made their taller boots without insulation.
Yea, I didn't realize they didn't have a non-insulated version. My last pair of oboz are 2 years old and I have probably worn them 600 days out of the 2 years and they have held up great. My feet are dry even in tall grass soaked with dew but the tread is getting a little worn. I can't complain cause the type of work I do in them day in and day out would definitely destroy a boot that's not well constructed. Ive tried Vasque boots and they literally fell apart within a year.

Wolverine72

a few years back I went hunting in my Keen Targhee hiking Boots. unless I'm planning on going into deep water, I'l be in my Keens. light weight, flexible, ultra comfy and with Middle TN winters not being all that cold, they work amazing. Previously I had Lacrosse boots. I loved them, then the soles started to come apart after 2 years use. the Lacrosse can't even compete with the comfort of the Keen's.

I've looked at the Oboz and may try them next if my keens ever give out. these Keen's have been hiking for miles, 2 trips to Alaska and lot's of hunting stories to tell.

Mattt

Keens last me about 2 months. Crispy makes a good boot, kenetrek I like but they remind me of old school Rocky's the way the feel and fit. Nursing a pair right now to try to make them last but I wear mountaineering boots for work also. Dot waste your money on sportiva quality took a nosedive when my trade adopted them. A solo fugitives are our lightweight choice, they last really well. Don't overlook scarpa.

tree_ghost

I have the kenetrek mountain extremes and love them. I like the high sole because when I'm on private land I use climbing spurs and the spur fits very well into that part of the boot. Grab the ground great and are 100% waterproof.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I just bought a pair of the Vapr trekks. I have put in about 40 miles so far and they are holding up well. I want to see how they do once I get up in my saddle more.

Latest posts