Looking for an inexpensive truck for my son

BMan

Rented a car in England a few years back and when I got there they asked if I knew I'd ordered a manual transmission as Americans usually order automatics. I said that was correct and the guy asked if I drove a manual transmission vehicle.

"Every damn day."

He smiled and tossed me the keys. Made him happy to meet an America with basic skills for once.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Rented a car in England a few years back and when I got there they asked if I knew I'd ordered a manual transmission as Americans usually order automatics. I said that was correct and the guy asked if I drove a manual transmission vehicle.

"Every damn day."

He smiled and tossed me the keys. Made him happy to meet an America with basic skills for once.
But how weird is it shifting with left hand?

BMan

But how weird is it shifting with left hand?

Not weird at all actually. Same shift pattern but you are pulling towards you instead of pushing away. Fortunately the clutch and gas pedals are the same as ours.

The first time I went around a parked car I did it without even thinking about it. About a half mile down the road it dawned on me that while I know exactly where cars extend to on the right side when driving in the US, I really didn't know the same for the left side when driving on the right side of the car. Kinda chilled me for a sec.

Had to be careful in traffic circles because the natural instinct would be to go right; that would be a bad thing…

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Not weird at all actually. Same shift pattern but you are pulling towards you instead of pushing away. Fortunately the clutch and gas pedals are the same as ours.

The first time I went around a parked car I did it without even thinking about it. About a half mile down the road it dawned on me that while I know exactly where cars extend to on the right side when driving in the US, I really didn't know the same for the left side when driving on the right side of the car. Kinda chilled me for a sec.

Had to be careful in traffic circles because the natural instinct would be to go right; that would be a bad thing…
Also the benefit of, if your passenger gets on your nerves, put them into oncoming traffic 😁

BMan

Also the benefit of, if your passenger gets on your nerves, put them into oncoming traffic 😁

I had a guy with me who had flown in from India (where they also drive on the left). I told him that if I strayed into the right lane he was to forcefully say, "Left lane, BMan, left lane." :D

Latest posts