Looking for a place to kill a hog

longranger

Anyone on here have a place I could come kill a hog that would be awesome I'll drive anywhere in Tennessee but don't want to do a preserve type want to hunt in wild

rmmonty32

Seen a sow while bow hunting South Cherokee. Dogs only allowed during bear with dog hunts. I just wonder how crowded it gets during that time?

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk

CATCHDAWG

rmmonty32":3308flv3 said:
Seen a sow while bow hunting South Cherokee. Dogs only allowed during bear with dog hunts. I just wonder how crowded it gets during that time?

It can get pretty crazy but more importantly it's typically frowned upon by dog hunters when someone outside of their party shoots something off of their dogs.

rmmonty32

CATCHDAWG":1ienst0r said:
rmmonty32":1ienst0r said:

It can get pretty crazy but more importantly it's typically frowned upon by dog hunters when someone outside of their party shoots something off of their dogs.
I was referring to trying to hog hunt with dogs while bear with dogs is going on. Did not mean capitalizing off of someone else's dogs.

CATCHDAWG

^^^ 98% of dog hunters dogs will run either or. Very few have dogs that are strictly bear dogs but there a few. I was always the opposite, my dogs would run a bear but I wouldn't release them on a track, I always preferred to catch hogs instead. The key to success is to get off the road, most folks rig their dogs off the box and drive around until a track is struck. I always parked and led the dogs off into the woods. It's a lot more work but greatly decreases the competition. Still doesn't mean someone else's dogs won't join up with yours or vise versa but that's public land for ya.

Stykbow

CATCHDAWG":iqa5wpxo said:
^^^ The key to success is to get off the road, most folks rig their dogs off the box and drive around until a track is struck.
This is what I saw the one time I went bear hunting there. I could count on one hand the guys that were actually in the woods with their dogs. They just wanted to drive around till they rigged one and then drive around trying to catch it crossing the road.

If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough!

mrforest

Have a few Hog hunts available for anyone interested. These hunts will be offered from Jan. 4th through the 14th in both Monroe and Fentress counties, on a first come first serve basis. Have 2 openings left as I am typing this. Two consecutive day hunts. No food or lodging provided. Up to 3 person groups. $100 per person covers you for both days. Will provide transportation in the woods. Walking will be involved. No limit on Hogs and no trophy fees. These will be dog hunts, with no more than 2 dogs on the ground at any time. NO GUNS ALLOWED. Hogs that are kilt, will be done so with a knife, under close supervision from me and my partner. We will skin and quarter all Hogs kilt, no charge. Coolers and Ice not provided. WE WILL CATCH SEVERAL HOGS. PM me if interested.
I'd like to go on one of your hog hunts. What do I need to do to get signed up.

Huntaholic

Ok, I gotta ask, if its not high fence, just how are you guys LEGALLY taking people to kill hogs??????? TWRA REALLY frowns on that! You cant put that many people on your exemption permit, you cant change names on the permit except for at the end of the year at renewal time, hell you cant even legally kill a hog ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY without having an exemption permit first! So enlighten me, how are yall doing it and staying legal?????

PickettSFHunter

Ok, I gotta ask, if its not high fence, just how are you guys LEGALLY taking people to kill hogs??????? TWRA REALLY frowns on that! You cant put that many people on your exemption permit, you cant change names on the permit except for at the end of the year at renewal time, hell you cant even legally kill a hog ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY without having an exemption permit first! So enlighten me, how are yall doing it and staying legal?????
There are a few landowners in this area doing it and even advertising. I think it's legal if the hunter is on the permit, usually shooting over bait at night. Hog,dog, and legal don't typically belong in the same sentence, at least not in my area, but it seems to be ignored by TWRA. Just my thoughts.

cowhunter71

Being a Cowman and land owner myself, gaining their respect, as well as the neighbors, goes along ways in this business. Hunting "Cracker Style" is a big part of it as well ;) Law is notified both before and at the conclusion of each hunt in Fentress and Cumberland Counties. Here in McMinn and Monroe, they are often times with me.

Last edited:

Huntaholic

I pretty much knew the answer to the question before I asked it. ;) Ive got places with several hogs too so I know all the technical aspects of doing this legally. The ONLY way is to be on an exemption permit, a permit can have up to 10 people on it and those names cant be changed for a year. The main reason I wanted to post all of this is to keep people that might not know any better from getting in trouble with TWRA. Once they have that information they can make their own choices about it. All it takes is one officer from somewhere else or even for your local officer to have a bad day and EVERYBODY involved will have a bad day too.

PickettSFHunter

What I would add is that the TWRA isn't exactly helping those landowners that actually want to do this legal. It has always been a hassle since the permits started. I have 3 properties that should have 3 permits with 3 permit numbers. It is a huge hassle every year to get them renewed. This year, I sent in all 3 with all of the data and explained that there 3 distinct permits. I only got one back. After several calls and emails, the regional office just basically explained that they don't have resources to keep up with it. I did get one more in the process. They get confused when you have multiple properties other than just your home address. I have saved all of the emails with attachments so I can prove I did my part, the TWRA just won't do their job. The thing is, no one seems to care, but it makes it a pain for those of us that go out of our way to do it right.

Shanman

What I would add is that the TWRA isn't exactly helping those landowners that actually want to do this legal. It has always been a hassle since the permits started. I have 3 properties that should have 3 permits with 3 permit numbers. It is a huge hassle every year to get them renewed. This year, I sent in all 3 with all of the data and explained that there 3 distinct permits. I only got one back. After several calls and emails, the regional office just basically explained that they don't have resources to keep up with it. I did get one more in the process. They get confused when you have multiple properties other than just your home address. I have saved all of the emails with attachments so I can prove I did my part, the TWRA just won't do their job. The thing is, no one seems to care, but it makes it a pain for those of us that go out of our way to do it right.

That's sad, any middle school student could write down an address on a permit and make a copy. Good job on the 44, sounds like a never ending problem.

Atchman2

I was successful in adding two guys to my permit! The nice thing is I only have one permit right now. I truly wish I could invite some of you, but I don't own the property. My friend has been very generous is adding folks that he doesn't know. However, they only come with me and he had met them numerous times.

Latest posts