Looking for a new choke.

Outdoor life

I've got a couple of Mossberg 12 gauges. One is a 835 and the other is a 500 Turkey Thug. I like the pattern of the original chokes, but I'm looking for one better. Any suggestions?

I can't afford to spend too much for a choke either. So about $50 is my max (that's also why I can't afford to try many of them out).

Thank you.

darn2ten

For a cheaper one try the truglo ssx for the 835, they are about $40 brand new. The jellyhead .660 for the 500 should work pretty good.

Outdoor life

Thank you all. I didn't know where to start looking. I've always just shot whatever choke came with the gun.

Those jellyhead chokes also have great reviews from other site. I kinda wish I started this earlier though, since on most sites right now turkey chokes are sold out...wonder why haha

deerhunter10

I'm not sure if they still are but bass pro was running a special on jelly head on a news paper thing they send out for 39.97 it says sales end April 7th if they aren't sold out.

TNDeerGuy

Last year I used a .690 Jellyhead out of my Mossy 835 ulti-mag using Winchester Supremes #5 and had a great pattern. This year I'm switching to HeviShot Mag Blend 5,6,7 and I'm going to try a Truglo SSX .670 and the Jellyhead to see which one gives the best pattern tomorrow�I'll post the results when I get back for you.

Brad C.

TruGlo SSX(Strut Stopper Xtreme) .670 will be the best shooting choke you will probably find in the 835 for the money. I'll show you a pattern.

DSCF0069.jpg

You can buy them on ebay for under $40 shipped. Or Clark sells them at www.allaboutshooting.com

TNDeerGuy

The .670 SSX with the 3" 2oz magblends did the best for me�130 pellets at 40yards out of my 835. The .690 jellyhead with the same shell also gave me 130 pellets at 40 yards, but the pattern was very broken with lots of holes in it. I'm going to polish the barrel and see if it improves the pattern and pellet count any.

Outdoor life

Thanks for the input TNDeerGuy, they both sure sound good enough to get a bird a 40 yards +.
Thank you for the offer timberjack, but I think until I hear back from the job that I had an interview for, I'm gonna use the one I currently have (the wheel tax shot sky high here and took away more than I planned). If I get the job, I may be back in contact with you.

Latest posts