Looking at gun safes

Ladys man

Ladys man

Went to the gun show in Knoxville today and sold my Blackhawk and going to put the cash into a proper gun safe. I’m not looking for anything huge but would like to be able to hold about 24 long guns (dnt have that many yet but...) and couple shelves for ammo also like to stay under $800-900. Is it possible to have fire safe for documentation and also have a back up key to open or is everything keypad style now. Dial wouldn’t bother me just couldn’t find a lot.

Anyone have advice I’ve been looking at Winchester at tsc for 499 but it’s key pad but that style is what I’m looking for

MUP

MUP

Supporter
I have the 6' model from Browning, the Yukon Gold, and the extra foot up top is extremely useful for documents and/or handguns. It's a little higher than what you're considering at around $1300-1500 but I'm glad I got it.

Ladys man

Ladys man

MUP":o3ox3f6f said:
I have the 6' model from Browning, the Yukon Gold, and the extra foot up top is extremely useful for documents and/or handguns. It's a little higher than what you're considering at around $1300-1500 but I'm glad I got it.

I dnt want to spend the money but it’s like I always tell my wife any good investment is worth the money upfront

MUP

MUP

Supporter
I was hoping to get out under 600-700 bucks myself, but the capacity of long guns plus the extra space up high just won me over I suppose. :) It's a dial lock as well.

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

If your wanting it to actually hold 24 guns plus have shelves you’ll need one a lot bigger that the Winchester at TSC if it’s the one I think it is. The way most are designed, if you want shelves, all of your guns would have to be on one side. So if they held what they say, you would need a 48 gun safe to get 24 on one side. However, with scopes and stuff it won’t do it. Probably won’t come close actually. For shelves and to hold 24 guns I would say you would need a 64 gun at minimum. The bad thing about how they design these things is once that first guy has to cross over to the other side, you loose all your shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow Terminator

Crow Terminator

I got a 24 gun before Christmas. Mine is a Liberty. Like the others said, they won't hold what they say they will if they habe scopes or accessories. I have about 7 in mine now with scopes, and it is already crowded. Might hold 10 long guns with scopes at best. I got mine at the Valley Farmers Coop on sale.

S

Smo

Buy as big a safe as you can afford ! You'll be glad you did......later.

I have a Liberty (dial) and a Winchester(key pad) from Tractor Supply.

foodplot

foodplot

Jon54":3rryrous said:
I bought a 23 gun safe and it’s big enough for my collection and I’m very happy with it. I think I have 26 long guns in it but it’s full. Here’s a link for one at Costco. https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS72-Exec ... 41405.html
I just bought this one from costco.....the cabinet is great... the shelving is a little on the cheap side..its particle board covered in a cheap felt material... i will have to remake the shelving eventually but still a good deal for the size....

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,029
M

Mike Belt

I have a big, heavy safe and love it...except for when I want to move it. As mentioned if you think you'll be happy with a 20 gun safe you probably need a 30 gun safe. Don't forget that if you're putting it in the house and you have a conventional foundation to shore up the joists under the house where you plan on setting the safe.

W

Wiley

As far as fire protection, you will not get it in a typical, name brand 'gun safe' in a full on house fire. I know what all their claims are but the evidence tells a different story. Only a true Fire Safe will protect from fire. There have been some house fires over the holidays that I have personal knowledge of and 1 was contained while 2 others burned to the ground. The home that was partly saved had a Browning safe and due to that room not burning there was very little damage to the contents. The 2 homes that burned to the ground lost everything paper in those safes as well as wood stocks on weapons charring and synthetic stocks melting. The guns may not be restorable due to possible warping from the heat. Both of these safes were name brand but I don't recall what brand(s). I always recommend buying the thickest metal you can afford to fend off/deter the criminal element of society. There are far more burglaries every day than house fires.

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

Where I live I don’t think fire rating is really that big of a deal. I’m not saying my house won’t burn. I’m just saying by the time someone discovers the fire, calls 911, all of the volunteers get to the firehouse, then get out here with the trucks, it will be to late anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
I have a 24 gun winchester. It weighs 505 pounds so it's all I want to move. I love the safe and love the keypad. Getting ready to buy another one just like it instead of buying a giant one. I'll have one in one bedroom and one in another. Look closely at the number of locking bolts. Cheap brands like Cannon don't have as many locking bolts and some Cannons don't even have locking bolts on one side of door. I compared the winchester and cannon side by side and the cannon just seemed cheap. You get what you pay for. If money was no option I'd buy a huge Liberty safe and have it installed. As I said, I'm not moving one bigger than my 505 pound Winchester. I need my back to last.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R

RandyinTN

The only safe brand I will never buy again is a Cannon. They are just made to cheap. Currently own a Winchester and two LIberty's. Libertys are very good quality but am happy with the Winchester as well. I believe the Winchester is a 24-26 rifle model. Lucky to get 12 rifles with scopes attached inside it.