Longevity of acorns

catman529

White Oak acorns, on average, go to root around Thanksgiving. Red Oak acorns on the other hand, have a very high tannin content that lets them last until spring before going to root. That's why White Oak oak flats tend to go dead right around gun opener, while deer shift to the more bitter but unrooted Red Oak acorns.
Last year I saw white oak and chestnut oak acorns germinating on the juvenile weekend off the Natchez trace parkway in northern Williamson county. I don't remember how much rain we got last fall but it must have been enough for em to sprout quickly

NChunt1

The white oaks hit really good in certain spots around my farm but I'm hoping they will get ate up by the end of muzzleloading so they will start hitting the plots

BSK

Last year I saw white oak and chestnut oak acorns germinating on the juvenile weekend off the Natchez trace parkway in northern Williamson county. I don't remember how much rain we got last fall but it must have been enough for em to sprout quickly
Yeah, we had an incredibly wet late summer and fall last year. With the wet year we're having this year, I've already seen white oak acorns sprouting.

jejeffrries71

Last weekend I saw the swamp chestnuts on the ground for the first time this year. I was beginning to think there were not going to be any.

Latest posts