Long range shooting

mike243

that would depend on calibur/bullet load & your idea of long range.hit the remington website & go to the bullet selecton/balistics guide.it tells what you can expect with different factory loads in all caliburs.it wont be perfect but will put you as close as possible without having a crono to ck loads in your rifles

firefox

figuring the drop is the easy part in long range shooting. If you are unable to calculate wind drift you will miss more than you hit

fastbs

Get your scope plumb and zero at 100 yds. After you get your 100 yd zero you can go up 4 (if ur scope is 1/4" clicks at 100) clicks to be an inch high at 100. This way you can adjust for your hunting situation and know you can always go back to your 100 yd zero. If your scope knobs can loosened and rezeroed do that at 100 then it's easy to always go back to the original zero mark.
Always test it out before hunting. See how many clicks up it takes to zero at 200 and so on.

megalomaniac

I zero my dedicated long range gun at 300.

All my other guns are zeroed at 100 and I just dial up from there. Otherwise, you end up forgetting which rifle is zeroed for which distance.

WTM

megalomaniac said:
I zero my dedicated long range gun at 300.

All my other guns are zeroed at 100 and I just dial up from there. Otherwise, you end up forgetting which rifle is zeroed for which distance.

interesting, did you serve in the Army?

megalomaniac

No, just my system to keep from screwing up a shot with a gun I hunt both up close and far away with. I started out sighting in for max point blank range for each gun, then forgot how high each one was at 100 when doing more load development.

I think I killed big game animals last year with 5 different rifles. When I make a trip up to TN, I carry at least 3 different ones each trip. I've got a couple that haven't gotten any love in the past 5 seasons (despite over 25 kills with each weapon), so I'm gonna go old school and use my first year 7mmRM sendero long range again this fall. LOTS of good memories with that gun :)

Latest posts