Logging

Boll Weevil

I was reading the "What's everyone doing" thread and noticed quite a few folks have some logging planned for 2021...add me to that list.

I thought it might be good to start a thread we could share thoughts and experiences related to our logging projects as they progress. With hardwood prices being like they are I plan on picking through some mature hardwood removing some of the lower value timber, getting some sunlight on the ground, and starting the regeneration process. I'm also doing a 1st thin on a stand of planted pines and thinning several stands of natural regen pine so really looking forward to that. Right now we're tidying up roads, marking/flagging as needed, and chomping at the bit to get going.

Here's a few "before" pics...I'll update as we move along.

1610645120809.png

1610645134042.png

1610645149958.png

DoubleRidge

Great idea....look forward to following....our TSI project wrapped up in 2020.... thoroughly enjoyed the process....learned allot working with our Forester.....we have several other areas on the place we are working on habitat improvements but our main timber harvest is behind us for now....in addition to selectively and strategically cutting our timber our project also included hack-n-squirt of less desirable trees, improvement to the road system, new entrance onto the property and the creation of two new food plots that were formally log loading decks....had dozer come in on both new plots to remove stumps followed by fertilizer, lime and disking....last summer was our first planting in the new plots and looking forward to improving them this spring and summer.

BSK

Unfortunately, my logging is currently in the "nuclear blast zone" phase! Pretty ugly, but it will be deer Heaven in a few years. Timber in this section is 80-90 years old hence almost everything is marketable. When I took the first picture, I was standing on a white oak stump 42" across.

Attachments

• logging1.jpg
    logging1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 393
  • logging2.jpg
    logging2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 327

BSK

Ordered them online from the Tennessee Forestry Nursery in Delano, TN. They have several locations they ship to and you can pick them up. Closest one to me was Dickson, TN. Or you can pick them up from the nursery itself (which saves a bundle on shipping).

JCDEERMAN

Those are some really good prices! Which ones did you order? I remember you talking long ago about the growth rates of different pines versus others and the benefits to bedding/thermal cover (I believe you said the slower growing variety was best).

buckaroo

Ordered them online from the Tennessee Forestry Nursery in Delano, TN. They have several locations they ship to and you can pick them up. Closest one to me was Dickson, TN. Or you can pick them up from the nursery itself (which saves a bundle on shipping).
I know it makes good habitat but I really like a big white to hunt over

Hridge

I was reading the "What's everyone doing" thread and noticed quite a few folks have some logging planned for 2021...add me to that list.

I thought it might be good to start a thread we could share thoughts and experiences related to our logging projects as they progress. With hardwood prices being like they are I plan on picking through some mature hardwood removing some of the lower value timber, getting some sunlight on the ground, and starting the regeneration process. I'm also doing a 1st thin on a stand of planted pines and thinning several stands of natural regen pine so really looking forward to that. Right now we're tidying up roads, marking/flagging as needed, and chomping at the bit to get going.

Here's a few "before" pics...I'll update as we move along.

View attachment 65519

View attachment 65520

View attachment 65521
If u don't mind me asking, what county are u in. I'm in Humphrey and not having much luck with anyone wanting my pine.

Derek

...and against my better judgement (and the lifespan of my back and knees), I just order 3,000 pine seedlings. :eek:
I am curious what variety of pine you ordered from Delano. I have some Loblolly 3rd cycle coming next month.
I struggled deciding what species of pine to order.

BSK

I am curious what variety of pine you ordered from Delano. I have some Loblolly 3rd cycle coming next month.
I struggled deciding what species of pine to order.
I bought 1.5 cycle. Don't really need highly hybridized trees as mine are not used for economic return.

BSK

If u don't mind me asking, what county are u in. I'm in Humphrey and not having much luck with anyone wanting my pine.
I'm surprised at that as any lumber-grade pine is a red-hot market right now. Problem is probably that there aren't any softwood mills anywhere around. Trees might have to be trucked to Mississippi.

Apparently, stave-quality and above oak is through the roof in Humphreys and surrounding area.

Boll Weevil

Hardeman county. Market value by product can be VERY localized. Mills, quotas, wet weather, haul distance, product and a dozen other factors can drive what revenue actually goes to the landowner.

Huntaholic

I'm surprised at that as any lumber-grade pine is a red-hot market right now. Problem is probably that there aren't any softwood mills anywhere around. Trees might have to be trucked to Mississippi.

Apparently, stave-quality and above oak is through the roof in Humphreys and surrounding area.
Of course white oak is high! When the economy is booming people celebrate and drink, when its in the crapper, they drink even more! LOL. Im in the timber business btw. Pretty much everything is FINALLY bringing what it should on my end now. I wont say its high because as a logger we still don't get the lions share of the profits and we are the ones who take all the risk!

BSK

Im in the timber business btw. Pretty much everything is FINALLY bringing what it should on my end now. I wont say its high because as a logger we still don't get the lions share of the profits and we are the ones who take all the risk!
I wouldn't do your job for ANY amount of money! I've not talked to a logger who doesn't know a fellow logger that was killed on the job. Way too dangerous and way too hard!

But to be honest, I'm a bit blown away by what even stave-quality white oak is bringing right now. I'm almost afraid to see what our veneer is going to bring.

BSK

...although I have to admit Huntaholic, a few years back I was given the opportunity to drive a log skidder. That definitely fed my child-like desire to operate large machinery! Now I want to operate a bulldozer! And a tracked feller buncher!

BSK

Hardeman county. Market value by product can be VERY localized. Mills, quotas, wet weather, haul distance, product and a dozen other factors can drive what revenue actually goes to the landowner.
I bet that's true. I wish I understood the timber market better. I know a bit about hardwood value by tree quality, but zero about softwood.

Latest posts