Lock and dams

Speedwell-Hunter

Anyone know if you are inside a lock, can they accidently open the doors? know of any accidents? This is my biggest fear before I start the great loop. thanks

Doecrusher

Wear your life jacket and have a bit of mooring line to tie off to the floating mooring post. I've been thru l&d 26 and 27 on the Mississippi too many to times to remember and never had any issues but my biggest issue was the wait to lock through being rec boats were last priority. Either go thru a lock or park in the ghetto. Lock everytime.

Urban_Hunter

They interlock at an angle… they can't physically "accidentally" open, the pressure from the high side keeps them closed. They can only open once equilibrium has been met between the two sides. That's why the both sets of doors open to the lake side, neither to the river side… at least all the ones I've been through and seen

Urban_Hunter

also, yes, accidents to occur. Pay attention and tie off to the correct sliding anchor point… don't tie to the dang ladder. Don't tie tight to the wall, use a couple bumpers and let your boat sit just a bit off the wall so it can bump and not have to slide up the wall as you go up or down. The process is very slow so don't worry, just pay attention to what's going on. The water inside some locks moves around pretty strongly as it fills. Going down is oddly still and quiet

BuckWild

Have a rope long enough to go from a tie point from bow to stern. Run that through the sliding anchor point and leave a little slack. Put out a couple of bumpers and sit down and enjoy the ride...

All passengers must have life jackets on when entering the locks. Idle speed only while ingressing and egressing the locks. The lock master will let you know if you are messing up. LoL

Speedwell-Hunter

Wear your life jacket and have a bit of mooring line to tie off to the floating mooring post. I've been thru l&d 26 and 27 on the Mississippi too many to times to remember and never had any issues but my biggest issue was the wait to lock through being rec boats were last priority. Either go thru a lock or park in the ghetto. Lock everytime.
Either go through a lock or park in the ghetto, what do you mean by that I don't get it? Thx

Latest posts