Living on the property you hunt

deer hunter 21

I wouldn't have it any other way, but my situation is far different from some of yalls, I never see deer from the house, maybe a doe and a fawn every once in a while. At my house the deer are pretty much just passing through and I've got a couple of really nice bucks that I didnt have any pics of and thats what keeps me excited, you just never know what may step out. Hunting at home let's me hunt mornings and still do some work before the evening hunts.

Grnwing

For me it has been a catch 22, I love living on my farm and putting all the work into habitat improvement and food plots and seeing all the wildlife. On the other hand, I love hunting and exploring new areas and a lot of the challenges that public land offers. As I get older and the premium on my time grows as more is happening with kids and work, I find myself really thinking about what I enjoy the most. Is it being able to put in all the work in land improvements to have great plots and habitat to sit and watch deer or is it the adventure of heading out and putting together a successful public land hunt. When I think of my friends and family, I do really like having a place I can have them shoot their first deer and I know I can control a lot of the experience for them and make it as comfortable as possible. There is a lot of pride/reward in taking game off your own land when you have put in the time and effort to improve the habitat as well as passing certain deer. But on the other side, when I spend all that time improving habitat that is time I could be exploring somewhere else or going hunting on another tract of public land. I think I will eventually sell my farm and move in closer but buy some land that I can do a lot more dove/duck hunting on and go back to chasing my deer solely on public land.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Evan Miller
    Shot this buck cruising the edge of field around 10:00 in the morning...
    • Evan Miller
    • Updated: