Living on the property you hunt

PalsPal

If you’re like me you’ll eventually hunt less because of it. After a while of seeing the same deer almost daily, and seeing how they adapt and lose a sense of their human fear, it doesn’t seem like there’s any sport to it to me. Killing one is about as challenging as walking down to my goat field and shooting one of them. I don’t have any regular mature bucks that stay on the property but I would honestly rather hunt somewhere like LBL, Catoosa, or the TVA islands where you never know what might show up.
^^^THIS^^^

Seeing deer in my back yard on a regular basis has practically shot my desire to kill them.

While sitting on a stand (in the cold and an hour away) one morning a couple of years ago, my wife sent me a pic of a nice buck 30 yards from my back door.

redblood

I live on 160 acres that i own and hunt. I also hunt family farms 6 to 8 miles away that i grew up hunting. I am in a very high deer density area and seeing hundreds of deer each day that are almost tame does change my perspective. It definitely makes a person less blood thirsty for a kill. Since you learn and know each deer, you develop a more selective mindset. I almost to the point that i would rather take video of the deer and let it walk by, even if its a mature buck.

backyardtndeer

Too easy to just pop one out the back door.
Not so. Unless you have a good plot in view of your home. We rarely even see deer out the back of our house.
The property is too familiar.
Deer change their patterns, if they even have any, crops around us hold plenty of deer, but they may get bumped away from our farm when crops are coming out and not return. There is no sure thing. With trail cams, the deer here seem to not have any regular patterns.
The dog follows you to your tree and won’t go home
Killed my best deer, also my first deer with parents lab under the tree in front of me. The deer came in behind me. That was before we bought the land and moved to it. Our dogs are in a fenced area, electric. They do bark at deer in the narrow strip of woods between us and neighboring property. Don't know that it hurts or helps. Have watched deer plenty often be relaxed while the dogs were going nuts, but also have seen them go full alert when the dogs are barking.
No one to share the experience with. Almost sorry you killed one because you don’t get to see him anymore.
Get to share with my wife and kids. Doesn't get any better since my wife also hunts.
Always worried about what the neighbors are doing or shooting. Keeping poachers run off.
This is a real challenge, especially when a deer you have watched on trail cam and have hundreds of pics of just disappears. Can be very disappointing. Think keeping poachers run off is actually easier when living in the property than it is if you are only there on the weekends.

One other huge plus is the quick hunts. Have killed several in the afternoons after getting home from picking my kids up from school. Hunts where I had maybe an hour to an hour and a half of legal shooting light left.

Guess it is all of matter of perspectives. I don't think killing a deer on property you live on is any easier than a property you drive too. If anything it may be more challenging at times. Cannot begin to count the times I have walked around the back of the house in the mornings only to have deer blowing at me. Sometimes I think they actually watch the house to see where we are going. Getting too stands without boogering them out can be difficult. And then often during the rut, we will get does bedding in the gully behind our house. Again, too many times to count on the afternoons walking back only to have them blown out.

We started doing 4 wheeler pick ups in the evenings to eliminate giving away a stand. That is another definite plus. A couple of the deer my wife has killed, I walked her to the stand and walked back to the house. Again, not something we could likely get away with with our kids if hunting off our property.

Last edited:

Malo1ke

It is very nice to live on the property you hunt. My place is 20 acres and I’ve killed some good deer here. I can get in weekday hunts after work and hunt mornings before church etc. I still have a deer lease I hunt for change of scenery and it helps with not pressuring the deer at home. Also nice having all my farm equipment here for food plots etc. so I don’t have to haul it back and forth.

Volbuck777

Y
I live on 160 acres that i own and hunt. I also hunt family farms 6 to 8 miles away that i grew up hunting. I am in a very high deer density area and seeing hundreds of deer each day that are almost tame does change my perspective. It definitely makes a person less blood thirsty for a kill. Since you learn and know each deer, you develop a more selective mindset. I almost to the point that i would rather take video of the deer and let it walk by, even if its a mature buck.
You see hundreds of deer each day.

MUP

Supporter
I absolutely love hunting my family land. Just enough to keep changing stand locations thru-out the season, yet not so big that I'll never be able to hunt it all. But mostly, it's hunting on land that's been in my family for generations, and when I'm out there I think of my Dad and uncles that worked that land with mule and plow as teenagers, and I'm just at ease when I'm at that place. Until I kill a deer that is, and have to drag it out of there! 😩

But, I don't live on it. I have thought about building out there tho, and would love to be there constantly. It's wooded, no fields, or big yard to watch deer in either, just have to venture into the woods and climb a stand to hunt.

Last edited:

redblood

Y

You see hundreds of deer each day.
I do. Im on the lincoln and marshall county line looking down over soybeans. They are mostly protected here since they are huge tracts and very little hunting (and highly selective at that). Deer learn quickly when they are safe. The deer in the pic is a 4.5 yr old mainframe 10 named tank. I passed him 3 times at less than 10 yards right before thanksgiving. He saw me the whole time, just didnt care.it can be hard even to leave our deadend rd in the mornings because the deer block it. No doubt they know

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Volbuck777

I do. Im on the lincoln and marshall county line looking down over soybeans. They are mostly protected here since they are huge tracts and very little hunting (and highly selective at that). Deer learn quickly when they are safe. The deer in the pic is a 4.5 yr old mainframe 10 named tank. I passed him 3 times at less than 10 yards right before thanksgiving. He saw me the whole time, just didnt care.it can be hard even to leave our deadend rd in the mornings because the deer block it. No doubt they know
That’s crazy man. Sounds like a dream

redblood

That’s crazy man. Sounds like a dreamy
That’s crazy man. Sounds like a dream
You get use to it pretty wuick. They just become yard and field fixtures. It a rare spot where they are 1000s of uninterrupted acres thick hills and hollers, but row crops in the bottom. I took this pic just now. You learn deer are active all day.

Attachments

DoubleRidge

Hunt property at the house and travel to hunt family land.....at house it's nice to have equipment to manage plots, etc....kill a deer hunting the land at the house and I'm going to get the tractor with front end loader.....I love hunting around the house....we have a couple of wild turkey hens I'd consider nearly domestic....they clean up after our horses feeding each morning....they will run from me...but only a short distance....they eat under our bird feeders and are in the yard daily..... we have absolutely no pet deer....deer in the yard will burn the woods up when you walk outside.....on the other hand I really enjoy hunting away from the house.....more land to hunt, more options....so I guess I like both equally but for different reasons.

Last November I did take the attached picture from our kitchen window....lived there 11 years and this was the first decent buck I've had "in the yard" .....but it was November 2nd and he was locked in on the does that we're eating in our old garden spot.....never even considered shooting him.....zero interest.... Really enjoyed watching him though.

Attachments

Last edited:

1908_Cubbies

If you’re like me you’ll eventually hunt less because of it. After a while of seeing the same deer almost daily, and seeing how they adapt and lose a sense of their human fear, it doesn’t seem like there’s any sport to it to me. Killing one is about as challenging as walking down to my goat field and shooting one of them. I don’t have any regular mature bucks that stay on the property but I would honestly rather hunt somewhere like LBL, Catoosa, or the TVA islands where you never know what might show up.

I'm with you on this. I had to somewhat force myself to stop "hunting" at home. It made me lazy and really took some of the fun out of it. I got to the point where I would keep my gun in my truck and occasionally just stop in the driveway and get out and shoot one on my way home from work... That aint hunting.

It was great at first. I had several good stand locations that I could choose from. Once I got better at deer management, there were plenty that would just hang out around the house. Of course, the temptation got to me to take some of the "house" deer and once I had a few in the freezer, the desire to sit in the cold within walking distance of the house wasn't really there.

Boll Weevil

I don't live on my farm but did build a 3br 1.5ba home with a pretty big garage for storing equipment. One of the best investments I've made...absolutely a home away from home with all the creature comforts.

JCDEERMAN

I mostly hunt one hour from my house. The other place I hunt is almost 2 hours away. Both have cabins to stay in. I've always dreamed of having my home on a good piece of acreage. I don't see how I would get tired of it.

Snake

Supporter
Don't live on my property but can be there in about 15 minutes. It's only 10 acres , got permission to hunt another 8.5 ac. near mine plus edges of about 300 acres that joins my south side and permission to hunt all of about 200 acres that joins my NE side . Liked hunting middle Tennessee and hunted it over 25 years with leases . When I lost my last lease had a chance at getting on one in Giles but really was getting tired of the drive so I declined . Hunting on my own property I don't see as many deer but knowing I won't ever be without somewhere to hunt is great and I can kill a deer if I want just don't need to be as picky . Where as I used to spend for leases and allowed for expenses (gas, lodging) I don't have to do that anymore plus as I got older I just was making a couple of trips a year to hunt because of the drive (3 -3 1/2 hrs.one way) so now I actually hunt a little more but don't feel bad if I don't want to hunt since I used to pay to hunt . There's nothing like hunting middle Tennessee to me enjoyed it , the landowners where great to me and if they hadn't of passed I'd probably still have the leases .

rukiddin

I live on my own farm and have killed a few off it. F me it has absolutely nothing to do with killing the deer. I have a place that I have made a haven for deer. All me. I’ve put a ton of work into it and I enjoy the habitat management/tractor time 100 x’s more than pulling the trigger. I also enjoy letting friends hunt and seeing the smile on their face when they kill their first buck.
I watch deer here every day. 365 days a year. I enjoy watching the fawns grow and I enjoy the parade of new bucks that start showing up around October. I’ve learned a lot about deer behavior.
The only down side I see, and it’s not really that bad, but my 6 year old daughter sees deer every day. She enjoys watching them but it’s no big deal to her because she watches them everyday. A deer is a deer to her regardless if it’s here or 10 miles from here.
The main thing for me is the habitat management aspect. Be it deer, doves or rabbits, it makes it all worth to me knowing what I have done to my own property plays a role in not just game animals, but seeing all critters thrive.

CATCHDAWG

The only downside that I have ever heard is that if "you live there you have no where to go "
I kinda agree with this. I can and have hunted on my property where I live. Matter of fact, my biggest buck to date was killed here at home. My hunting property however, is a whopping seven minute drive from home but it still “gives me a place to go”. Kind of a win win for me. The only downside is that it takes longer to hook up the gooseneck and load the tractor than it does to drive over there! Lol

Smo

Do,Do,Do looking out my front door….😎

My Wife ,Grandson & I watched these two for 45 minutes looking out my front door.. (pic was taken thru the door glass)
This was in 2019, they never moved more than 20 yards during that time.

This one got a free pass, we don’t shoot em’ off the porch either.
Finally my Neighbor drove bye and away they ran.

Owning land Is a lot of work for one person, but if you have some help keeping things going it’s great!

But if there in the woods….

They’re fair game!

I still enjoy hunting other places too…
Here’s one from Laurel Hill a couple years ago.

Attachments

Mr. Hawk

I see lots of downside and only a little upside of hunting your own property. No place to go and get away. Deer are your pets with names. Too easy to just pop one out the back door. The property is too familiar. Scouting is not necessary, you already know everything. The dog follows you to your tree and won’t go home. No one to share the experience with. Almost sorry you killed one because you don’t get to see him anymore. Always worried about what the neighbors are doing or shooting. Keeping poachers run off.
Of course, the more land you have the better it is and these downsides start to go away. I still like to make a short trip to the woods and have other buddies to compare notes and enjoy the successes and failures.
Interesting insight. Some concerns I definitely have.

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
I’m moving to one of my farms, breaking ground soon. I have some deer at the house now too. I just can’t hunt them around the house personally. I have separate properties to go hunt on.

Stumpsitter

I live on 177 acres, I have for 20 years. It butts up to about 1100 acres of gulf. I have access to another 85acres that I only have permission to hunt that borders me and an additional 136 acres across the road with exclusive permission there as well. More or less I take care of the additional acreage and was told to treat as my own from the lady that owns it. It can be nice to have that kind of access more or less in walking distance of your house…. With that being said it can be a burden as well there is always something to do roads to be cleared of limbs, fallen trees, road erosion. It’s nice to be able to listen to turkeys gobble of the back porch or to not have to worry about someone being in your spot. It can drive you crazy when you know your stand is just right there but you can’t go because of family obligations or be going to get in the truck to go to work and hearing a bird hammer 100 yards from the house. I have one good neighbor that has 75 acres that borders the 85 and we were talking about how it’s a piece of paradise, it is nice but it comes with a price.

Latest posts