Living on the property you hunt

Mr. Hawk

I don’t (30 min drive) but have it stuck in my head that it would be great lifestyle. I genuinely enjoy caring for the property I own, doing plots, checking cameras, etc but the drive makes it a hassle sometimes and I’d go much more often if I lived closer. For those of you that have lived both away and on the land you hunt any insight?

Omega

I don’t (30 min drive) but have it stuck in my head that it would be great lifestyle. I genuinely enjoy caring for the property I own, doing plots, checking cameras, etc but the drive makes it a hassle sometimes and I’d go much more often if I lived closer. For those of you that have lived both away and on the land you hunt any insight?
I'm in the same boat, but just a little farther, and probably much smaller. I would love to find a place at a reasonable price which I could live on and hunt, but lately everything is way out of my ballpark.

13pt

We live on 53 acres and lease the neighbors 76 acres. I’ll have to say it was sure nice last year to sneak out the basement, through the backyard, and then 100 yards or so down my raked trail to the comfort of my Millennium hang-on to nail a 132” 10pt with my bow. He’s the 2nd TN record buck I’ve taken on my own property. Downside is my wife won’t let me shoot them in the food plot you can see from the house. She makes me go off in the woods and hunt them like I do everywhere else.

double browtine

I live on 46 acres in Cheatham co. We have killed 3 bucks off of it in past 7 years. There isn’t a lot of hunting pressure around us but I hear shots around every year. The deer density is not as high as it is where I hunt in Montgomery county. It’s nice to walk out the back door and carry the kids to box blind. I haven’t shot a deer in a couple years cause I have 4 kids that hunt now. I would rather see them tag one. When I do drive to Montgomery county I usually plan to stay all day or a half day anyway. It’s about a 45 min drive. Killing a deer at home sure makes it easier tho. I have a tractor or Kawasaki mule to retrieve it and I can get it skinned, quartered and in the frig a lot quicker.

Crow Terminator

If you’re like me you’ll eventually hunt less because of it. After a while of seeing the same deer almost daily, and seeing how they adapt and lose a sense of their human fear, it doesn’t seem like there’s any sport to it to me. Killing one is about as challenging as walking down to my goat field and shooting one of them. I don’t have any regular mature bucks that stay on the property but I would honestly rather hunt somewhere like LBL, Catoosa, or the TVA islands where you never know what might show up.

HenryCohunter

So I guess I’ve had both my whole life. I lived on the family farm in Henry Co off and on since I was 10. And I have a small lease in Mississippi. I enjoyed living on the farm and being able to walk 300 yards from the door and hunt . I’ve never had the deer at our place lose their fear of us no matter how much they see us farming. I think I hunt less now that I don’t live there because it’s 45 minutes to my lease and I either go hunt the am or the pm but rarely both unless it’s during the rut and I sit all day but when I lived on the farm I’d hunt morning mid day and evening all and be able to sneak to the house for lunch .

BlackBelt

Lost my 22 yr lease this year.
So I am going to try this season on the home ground...although my heart really is not into it.

Or I may just hunt public land this year.

Haven't had any luck trying to find an open club or lease within 2 hrs of the house.

Forvols

We sold our house with 20acres that I did hunt when we first moved there in 06. But I still went other places to hunt and camp. Some years on my property I never shot deer or turkey just watched and let them walk.

backyardtndeer

Just a small farm, but hunt on the land we live on. Nice to walk out the door and be in my stands in minutes. Definitely advantages in recoveries, being able to bring dead deer to the garage where I have lights and water. When the deer are good deer, I can drive up to them with the tractor and pull them into the bucket.

Downside, when we get pressure on neighboring farms, the deer sometimes use our property significantly less. Would be nice to have more options.

Tn Joe

Supporter
We live on our farm and it sure is nice to just walk out the back door and go hunting. Our deer are plenty fearful of humans. We’ve killed several mature bucks over last few years. We also have a decent turkey population in our area. I still like to go hunt other places but don’t do it nearly as much as in the past which helps keep the family happy.

rem270

Supporter
Growing up we hunted the neighbors 30 acres behind our house. It was nice waking up and just walking out the back door. My property is about a 30 min drive from my parents house where I stay when I come in to hunt and although it's not a bad drive I plan to put a portable building or something up there next year where I can stay at. I've camped up there during turkey season and it's just a good feeling to be there for me. My plan is to retire on the place one of these days.

13pt

We live on our farm and it sure is nice to just walk out the back door and go hunting. Our deer are plenty fearful of humans. We’ve killed several mature bucks over last few years. We also have a decent turkey population in our area. I still like to go hunt other places but don’t do it nearly as much as in the past which helps keep the family happy.
Completely agree…I have to put in just as much effort to hunt these mature bucks on my property as anywhere else. My food plot is across the driveway in a small field in front of the house. We’ve lived here 12 years, and the deer still run to the woods almost every time we leave or come home, and still mostly use it at night like anywhere else. A few years ago I had a 142” 14pt using the thicker area of my property, and that dude never set foot in my food plot one time because it’s under surveillance 24/7. I ended up getting him but took numerous trips to the hardest to hunt area of my property. Hunting the deer on your own property is in no way easier than hunting deer on someone else’s property…no matter how much you accommodate them…IMHO. Well, except for I get to sleep in a little more…lol.

fairchaser

I see lots of downside and only a little upside of hunting your own property. No place to go and get away. Deer are your pets with names. Too easy to just pop one out the back door. The property is too familiar. Scouting is not necessary, you already know everything. The dog follows you to your tree and won’t go home. No one to share the experience with. Almost sorry you killed one because you don’t get to see him anymore. Always worried about what the neighbors are doing or shooting. Keeping poachers run off.
Of course, the more land you have the better it is and these downsides start to go away. I still like to make a short trip to the woods and have other buddies to compare notes and enjoy the successes and failures.

BSK

Don't live full-time on the hunting property, but we did build a cabin which we stay in when we're hunting. That gives us the convenience of walking out the door to hunt for as many days as we're staying. But we still have to drive an hour to get there and an hour home between hunting trips.

Been recreationally hunting the same property for 34 years. For me, never gets old. The deer constantly stay one step ahead of us, and figuring out how they're going to avoid us this year is just as challenging every year. Fun to watch deer grow up and mature. I wish I could say we're able to pick most of the mature ones off, but more die of old age than die by our hands.

13pt

I see lots of downside and only a little upside of hunting your own property. No place to go and get away. Deer are your pets with names. Too easy to just pop one out the back door. The property is too familiar. Scouting is not necessary, you already know everything. The dog follows you to your tree and won’t go home. No one to share the experience with. Almost sorry you killed one because you don’t get to see him anymore. Always worried about what the neighbors are doing or shooting. Keeping poachers run off.
Of course, the more land you have the better it is and these downsides start to go away. I still like to make a short trip to the woods and have other buddies to compare notes and enjoy the successes and failures.
With respect sounds like you’ve never hunted your own property. We have no deer pets here…or names. The 4 mature bucks I’ve had the thrill of taking off our property I had only seen on cameras. Never popped one out any door…nor would I…that’s just pure unsportsmanlike. Besides, never had that opportunity on a mature buck. Scouting is always necessary just like anywhere else. All 4 mature bucks came from different stand locations. After living here 12 years, even the 10pt I got last year was in a spot I would have never imagined hunting. And the effort that goes with scouting and moving stands and clearing shooting lanes and such is just as involved…except I don’t have to drive and hour to do it…though I still have 3 other leases I can tackle when I just want to drive somewhere and hang out with the guys. Dog has fenced in backyard so no issue there. I’m not big on sharing my hunting experiences with the guys. Even on my other leases I prefer to go when no one else is hunting like mid week. Never for a second sorry I killed a buck on my own property…just made room for another mature buck to move in, and I’ve found the thrill is the same as taking one anywhere else. Now you have me on the neighbors. Because my neighbors know I only shoot mature bucks they love to hunt my property lines, and two years ago had to call the game warden Christmas Eve because a neighbor couldn’t resist the urge to shoot a 6pt on my property, but then I’ve had to do this on leased property 3 hours away in west TN, so that problem is everywhere. In my opinion, based on experiencing both hunting at home and away, the ratio of upsides to downsides are about the same, with upside slightly more hunting from home…but that’s just me.

jameseboy

In Just a little different take I grew up on our own little 30 acres and could roam a lot more connected not posted land. No deer in those days. It gave me a lifelong love of the outdoors hunting and fishing. That’s something living On your own land gives your kids that cannot be duplicated. I lived in St Pete Fl for years when I grew up and hunting was extremely difficult but fishing was awesome. It was not till my 40s I came to TN and had a place to hunt. It was a large family place and what I saw was the people who grew up on the land hunted it at least into their sixties while grandkids who grew up in the city hunted into 30s or 40s and greatgrand kids seldom or never hunted.