Livescope or 360 Mega

WTM

Map wont spin with the electric compass heading sensor,that is as long as you dont have any elect. interference🤣🤣🤣🤣
lol, youre not getting what im saying dude. the gps controls the map orientation not heading sensor. this gal has an external gps puck with heading sensor and explains it pretty good.

bluball

lol, youre not getting what im saying dude. the gps controls the map orientation not heading sensor. this gal has an external gps puck with heading sensor and explains it pretty good.

Yep i understand,but why if it works the other way and you hit your waypoints easy🤣🤣🤣Doing it your way is how everyone done it before the heading sensors with elect compasses🤣🤣🤣

WTM

Yep i understand,but why if it works the other way and you hit your waypoints easy🤣🤣🤣Doing it your way is how everyone done it before the heading sensors with elect compasses🤣🤣🤣
because without a heading sensor the boat icon spins with north up if youre anchored or spot locked.

im ocd a little i guess. it messes with my eyes and direction if the map turns.

bluball

because without a heading sensor the boat icon spins with north up if youre anchored or spot locked.

im ocd a little i guess. it messes with my eyes and direction if the map turns.
If i remember correctly,dont think it spins bad on the lowrance hds series with internal antenna.I think that us,i have had my point one im guessing 8-10yrs so its hard to remember.There is no telling how many hours i have spent side scanning since 2013 and my set up is really accurate.I know i spent atleast 40 hours scanning last summer.I have scanned creeks as far south as marsh and as far north as ginger bay.i have scanned some of barkley and a bunch of pickwick all tje way south to bear creek.Me and jon graves dont talk anymore,but you should stop sometime at graves and graves const. in parsons and talk with him.I guarentee you he will tell you i have showed and taught him alot when it comes to sidescanning and jow to get accuracy when doing it.I really only know about the lowrance hds and the helix gen 1-gen3.Thats the actual units i have used and helped set up,havent really used any other brand for gps.I only use my garmin gpsmap 1222 for livescope and nothing else.

(Oh and scanned a bunch in miss also at yhe big 4 arkabutla,sardis,enid and grenada)

TRIGGER

Dont know if you know a guy named mike tolly from atwood,use to own wooly bugger jigs.It would drive him crazy watching me fish structure without throwing a marker bouy,before i had livescope or humminbird 360.He finally got my number from a buddy and called me asking me how i done it.Told him lowrance units with a point 1 heading sensor useing it for gps and heading at the console and heading and internal antenna at the bow.He wanted to rig his humminbird units that way and asked me if it would work,at that time i told him i didnt know because i had never ran the humminbird version.

I run a point one on my hummingbird solix because it's superior over the hummingbird puck. I have a hummingbird puck on each of my other helix units because they won't run the point one.

WTM

Never messed with a steady cast or any garmin heading sensors.How does the steady cast hook up to your unit,i think i can nema my point 1 on my lowrance nema backbone but havent tried it yet.If your getting 9ft accuracy thats way better than most,but the steady cast might be why.Jon Graves,not sure if you know him or not,graves and graves const. In parsons.When we first started fishing some together he had 2 helix 12's and 360 with heading sensor on the bow.We scanned for 3-4hrs before we started fishing and waypoints were probally 30ft off.He had a wareagle 1860 and i figure console unit 9ft from trans combined with gps accuracy when you go back could probally be atleast 20ft.He ended up buying another heading sensor and mounted it directly over the transducer,thats what i recommended.The next trip he was amazed how close stuff was after marking it with the sidescan,before adding the heading semsor if he didnt have the 360 it would have been tough.I have been lucky a buddy help me yrs ago when the point 1 first came out,he is a electrical engineer that retired from nasa.People marking off the bow probally dont have as much trouble as the ones marking with si,my lowrance is super close marking in si.
its connected to the nmea 2k net. really simple to install and the steadycast sensor is mounted upside down in the storage bin. point 1 or 24 dx is connected the same and you can pick and choose on which data that a particular mfd will use. its all pretty simple to me, lol, i have a BSEE an AAS in industrial electronics but the last 23 years ive been working in telecomm. i just used what i know about RF and microwave and apply it to sonar. kind of similar in a way.

when i pop a waypoint i have to adjust for the gps at the console by marking it behind the cover or structure about 10 feet. that usually puts me right on it and then after i get thru fishing ill check with 200khz 2d to very and re-mark. if not youll be off 9ft from one direction and 18ft when heading from the opposite direction when trying to find a waypoint.

si is a little different because to the slant range that is the actual distance to the target. the closer to the xducer the target is then the less accurate the waypoint. targets marked at a farther distance are more accurate.

here is a drawing from one of humminbirds engineers that explains it in detail.

BBC9DA89-58CC-4C95-A4A8-5D09FD8050F5.png

anyhoo, dont know jon graves but worked with joan graves with bellsouth years ago. maybe they are related, lol.

bluball

its connected to the nmea 2k net. really simple to install and the steadycast sensor is mounted upside down in the storage bin. point 1 or 24 dx is connected the same and you can pick and choose on which data that a particular mfd will use. its all pretty simple to me, lol, i have a BSEE an AAS in industrial electronics but the last 23 years ive been working in telecomm. i just used what i know about RF and microwave and apply it to sonar. kind of similar in a way.

when i pop a waypoint i have to adjust for the gps at the console by marking it behind the cover or structure about 10 feet. that usually puts me right on it and then after i get thru fishing ill check with 200khz 2d to very and re-mark. if not youll be off 9ft from one direction and 18ft when heading from the opposite direction when trying to find a waypoint.

si is a little different because to the slant range that is the actual distance to the target. the closer to the xducer the target is then the less accurate the waypoint. targets marked at a farther distance are more accurate.

here is a drawing from one of humminbirds engineers that explains it in detail.

View attachment 112202

anyhoo, dont know jon graves but worked with joan graves with bellsouth years ago. maybe they are related, lol.
You way better than me at marking🤣if i had to adjust with the curser it would drive me crazy🤣i may already be crazy though🤣i know all about nema and how it works,wish i still had the pics of the wireing i took out of my boat when i put everything in the skeeter.Rrmember i have a garmin 12in,humminbird 9in,lowrance 9in and a lowrance 10 in,humminbird 360 with gps puck and ethernet,minnkota gps puck,point one on the back,2 lowrance sidescan transducers,2 lowrance 2d transducers,lowrance nema network,2 lss1 lowrance side scan boxes,lowrance etherneted together with no interference🤣🤣🤣i may know alittle🤣🤣🤣

TNReb

I'm late to this thread. I had LiveScope. I sold it and bought Mega 360. I sold it and went back to LiveScope.

I will say that I think perspective mode on the Livescope is bad. I've never been able to get an image from it that is even remotely clear.

Crow Terminator

What I have started doing is, using side scan to find trees, brush, fish attractors, etc and marking waypoints. I have my bow and console units ethernet cable connected so that when I mark a waypoint on the console unit, it also marks it on the bow unit. If I saw fish on the brush, I will then circle back and get on the trolling motor and go towards that waypoint unit I see it on the downscan. The transducer for it is mounted on the trolling motor and the small beam of Downscan means you really are directly over top of it... I will then mark it again and delete the original side scan waypoint. When I do it like that, it seems to make me more accurate at finding what is down there. Here is a screen shot of some I haven't deleted yet that shows just how far off it normally is. If you're trolling you can get close but that's far enough off that it's tough finding it when casting blind.
2B731A94-5179-4D45-9B3C-DCB21E0594C7.png

Last edited:

WTM

What I have started doing is, using side scan to find trees, brush, fish attractors, etc and marking waypoints. I have my bow and console units ethernet cable connected so that when I mark a waypoint on the console unit, it also marks it on the bow unit. If I saw fish on the brush, I will then circle back and get on the trolling motor and go towards that waypoint unit I see it on the downscan. The transducer for it is mounted on the trolling motor and the small beam of Downscan means you really are directly over top of it... I will then mark it again and delete the original side scan waypoint. When I do it like that, it seems to make me more accurate at finding what is down there. Here is a screen shot of some I haven't deleted yet that shows just how far off it normally is. If you're trolling you can get close but that's far enough off that it's tough finding it when casting blind.View attachment 112233
most folks assume so but it depends on which transducer youre running and and its operating frequency and the beam angle. a DI xducer is always going to have a small thin fore to aft beam angle but could have a very large(wide) port to starboard beam width which could put you off further than the SI waypoint.

X-Tennessean

I'm late to this thread. I had LiveScope. I sold it and bought Mega 360. I sold it and went back to LiveScope.

I will say that I think perspective mode on the Livescope is bad. I've never been able to get an image from it that is even remotely clear.
I agree, never use perspective. Can't get a clear image for nothing!

Latest posts