Live Cage Trapping?

Wrangler95

Im gonna set some cage traps for coons and possums,what do you use to put around the cage to keep the racoons from reaching in the thru the mesh wires of the cage and steal the bait without entering the trap?

Big Pop

Trick I've used many times with great success is light bread with some cheap brand of pancake syrup or similar. Give them a couple of small pieces outside the cage. Put a whole slice of bread under the cage in the back and stake the rear end to the ground well. Works for me at least 90% of the time with a coon.

Andy S.

My heavy duty live cage raccoon trap (Duke Model #1112) has tighter 1/2" spacing toward the back of the trap where the bait sits to prevent reach through access. I also place a heavy landscaping concrete block on top of the trap to prevent the coon from rolling the cage and releasing the door. As mentioned in other threads, if you place trap on soil/grass, expect soil/grass to be destroyed when you show up and a raccoon is in the trap. Around my house, I place trap on concrete to prevent damage to my bermuda. I mainly use marshmallows for bait, both outside the door for a short trail to the trap, and a few pieces in the back of the trap. Very cheap and very effective. Bury the marshmallow in the metal webbing of the trap to make them work for it. Good luck.

Last edited:

Andy S.

09017D4F-1476-4D37-A398-0B99780E6F53.jpeg

4A098CF0-EB98-46D9-BA66-00E4C0E4F978.jpeg

A7D11A7B-14CD-41A5-AA2B-C379DB14705C.jpeg

Farm manager

Im gonna set some cage traps for coons and possums,what do you use to put around the cage to keep the racoons from reaching in the thru the mesh wires of the cage and steal the bait without entering the trap?
If you use something like canned cat food, tuna, sardines, etc punch some decent size holes in the can to release the juice and odor then wire it in the trap over the treadle. If using dry cat food or catfish food (pellets) scatter them in the all over the bottom of the trap

Latest posts