Food Plots Lime

RS

When you say "the cheap kind", do you mean Ag Lime, which is more of a powder? If so, you will likely need a spreader specifically set up for spreading that. Ag lime tends to clog up conventional fertilizer spreaders.
Now if you're talking about pelletized lime, you can spread that with any fertilizer type spreader.

JCDEERMAN

What RS said. To expand off that, Ag lime is usually bought in several tons, so I assume you are buying the bagged peletized lime. Regardless of what you use, make sure and rinse/clean whatever you spread it with.

Tennrock

When you say "the cheap kind", do you mean Ag Lime, which is more of a powder? If so, you will likely need a spreader specifically set up for spreading that. Ag lime tends to clog up conventional fertilizer spreaders.
Now if you're talking about pelletized lime, you can spread that with any fertilizer type spreader.
What about a 3 point spreader with a agitator?

DoubleRidge

Benefits of the Ag lime vs Pelletized is that the Ag lime last longer and it cost much less per ton..... disadvantage is the issue of spreading..... I've never tried to spread Ag lime in walk behind spreader? Or even with 3pt spreader? But if you have a load of Ag lime dumped on the property I'd tarp it and make every effort to keep it dry.....if pile gets rained on I'd imagine it would become difficult to spread..... depending on the size of the plot the Pelletized lime may be worth the increase in cost?

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Some folks do not realize that ag lime is powdered limestone. It is very dense! It settles and compacts readily. It will destroy most drop type spreaders.
Most suppliers will rent you a cart designed to spread it. I use them, pull it with my pickup as they are ground driven. Otherwise spend the money on the pelletized and use a cyclone spreader. Its hard to put down a lot at a time so consider it an annual responsibility till your PH is balanced.

JCDEERMAN

Otherwise spend the money on the pelletized and use a cyclone spreader. Its hard to put down a lot at a time so consider it an annual responsibility till your PH is balanced.
You're spending a little more but you're using less with pelletized. I did the math a couple years ago and your spending a hair more but using about 1/3 of the amount of pelletized that you would be using of ag lime. Unless things have changed - could have just been for the amount our soil tests required