Food Plots Lime/fertilizer timing?

Hridge

Thank you. I just received my soil samples back yesterday. 3.3 tons of lime per acre. I don't have the paper in front of me to remember the fertilizer. Having them come out and spread the lime is the way to go from what I understand but I don't think I will ever get a big truck in there until it's real dry in the summer. He (co-op) said I can spread 1 ton of pellet lime per acre with their buggy and do the same??
I have used the buggy and it works great but you have to have the right sized tractor. If you have to go down any steep hills, that thing can push your tractor if it's to small and cause you to flip or get hurt. The co op truck can go in some pretty nasty places. I use the Humphrey county co op and they will go through trees and down tight trails if they can. If you can disk that lime in, it works better. I think I screwed up a step. After I bush hog, I spread my lime and then disk it in. Then I wait 2+ weeks and spray round up. Spraying the round up after you have disked everything is a huge help. It really makes your food plots look great. I'm a fool plot nut. I hate seeing weeds and grass in mine.

Hridge

I'm new so take it easy lol. Does lime and fertilizer need to be applied before or after breaking the ground?
I have always applied it then disked it in. I find on my farm that if we get a heavy rain and there is any slope on your field, that lots of it gets washed away. My soil in Humphrey county is rocky and water rolls off it quickly. I vote to disk it in. Gets to work faster. I lime my fields every year because my soil is so bad. My food plots looks thick and healthy. If you do the work (soil test, herbicide,lime,feet) and plant clover, you can get 5-7 years out of it without replanting. I'm on year 6 with mine and all I do is lime/fertilize them each year and then spray for weeds and grass. I planted a mix of (crimson/red/ladino) clover. The red and crimson will die after year one and you will be left with Ladino. The deer love it!!

Latest posts