Let's get serious about Older Bucks

I have had the good fortune to hunt out of state quite a bit over the past couple decades or so. And one thing has REALLY impressed me when talking about older aged class deer.

I seldom see it talked about in this forum but in all seriousness, why does anyone think Tennessee can grow older aged class bucks with a rifle season (muzzleloader included) that lasts for 2 months?

If one only looks at other "big buck states" like Illinois and Ohio, they will quickly learn that their seasons are shorter and there is little or ZERO (Illinois) center fire rifle season AT ALL!

If the hunters pushing for older aged class of bucks are really serious, why not push to restrict season lengths and weapons?

Because until this is restricted, nothing else will really make as much a difference.

Bodine270

One reason for no rifle season is the land is flat as a pancake up there. Restrictions on center fires are for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landman

I feel you can IF you have enough land or landowners wanting it, and if the manage everything
from soil, cover, food, does, etc.

But it's not for everyone, and I'm glad it isn't, some3 just love "the Hunt"

That's what's still Great about this country, you can hunt the way you want within
the laws, and if you want something different you can hunt elsewhere like you say you
have yourself.

I see people moving for hunting all the time, it's just how bad you want it

Look at Iowa, most don't know they have a 3 buck limit....
But it's for nonresident hunters only, and 2 have to be with a bow, one late season
with short gun season. And nonresident hunters have to draw a tag, even if you
own 1,000 acres.

tree_ghost

102":27fl9zr1 said:
I have had the good fortune to hunt out of state quite a bit over the past couple decades or so. And one thing has REALLY impressed me when talking about older aged class deer.

I seldom see it talked about in this forum but in all seriousness, why does anyone think Tennessee can grow older aged class bucks with a rifle season (muzzleloader included) that lasts for 2 months?

If one only looks at other "big buck states" like Illinois and Ohio, they will quickly learn that their seasons are shorter and there is little or ZERO (Illinois) center fire rifle season AT ALL!

If the hunters pushing for older aged class of bucks are really serious, why not push to restrict season lengths and weapons?

Because until this is restricted, nothing else will really make as much a difference.
this point has been brought up in another thread that cited the same point you've made in multiple states...

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I have said the same thing...I however don't want it that way because I'm strictly a meat hunter anymore and want to shoot any legal deer each time I'm able to hunt. In spite of the long rifle season, there really are a lot of good sized deer in Tennessee, which surprises me.

TNDeerGuy

I'm all about reducing the firearm days, but in full disclosure and absolute honesty it is because I am an archer to the core. I would love to see it happen, but it never will and I really wouldn't support it--however, the archer in me would be screaming!!!! :)

Since I've been researching this 2-3 buck limit thing and gathering information from other States, some items have stood out like a sore thumb in the data. I always assumed that the shortened gun seasons in the Midwest had everything to do with managing for antlers and was quickly corrected by the time I got to the 3rd State. Almost everyone of these big-buck States have 2-4 times the amount of licensed hunters as we do!!

I understand that every State collects data differently as far as harvests, so I'm not going to even try to rewrite the data to make a point, but when you have States like Iowa and Illinois that have 2½ times the number of hunters and 70% of land is ag fields, you better have a very short gun season or you're not going to have a deer herd left. We have significantly less hunters and 70% woodland habitat, so I'm comfortable saying our season is at least acceptable all things being equal. (My inner bowhunter really did not like that being written) :D

MickThompson

The % ag ground and lack of cover also makes the old bucks much more accessible and patternable compared to typical TN hardwood/farmland hunting. You put that many hunters in the woods (what little there is) and those deer can't help but step in front of someone.

fairchaser

Iowa has no rifle season but their shotgun season allows party hunting which can be very effective at eliminating bucks. For me the largest single issue that will ensure success on older bucks for any state is hunter mindset. As long as hunters will shoot anything legal, young bucks will be killed. Limiting the buck harvest will eventually help save some younger bucks. So does short seasons or bow only during the rut. I've witnessed first hand what happens when 1 and 2 year olds are passed and some 3 year olds. I'd love to see this practiced state wide but the ingrained mindset will be difficult to change.

AXL78

I also ask the question what is wrong with shooting a young buck. I don't discount the idea Tennessee can, and I think, currently grows big bucks. Terrain plays the biggest role though I think in their firearms seasons. I am like some others though, I really feel fortunate having a long rifle season. I enjoy it much more than bow hunting.

Vermin93

I used to be for a shorter Tennessee gun season, but I've recently changed my opinion. As a nonresident who lives and works a few states away, it's difficult to plan my trips to Tennessee very far in advance. The long gun season gives me a lot more flexibility in trip planning. I don't have to plan my trip around a short one or two week window in order to use a rifle. I have 6 weeks of gun season to work with in planning my trip, which is kind of nice.

If I want the experience of an archery-heavy state, I drive 2 hrs north to Oklahoma where the gun season is less than half as long as Tennessee, bowhunters get the first 3 weeks of November all to themselves, and there is boatloads of great public land to hunt.

TN24081

You very well could be right. There have been others on this forum that have shared the same beliefs. Personally I have mixed feelings about it. We never shoot anything that is less than 130", which means we go several years in between killing a buck ( like this year ). That being said, we enjoy each and every day we are allowed to hunt and we hunt just as hard on January 1 as we do on November 21. Even as someone who would be considered a "trophy hunter," the time spent in the woods with my son and my friends enjoying God's wonderful creations, is worth far more to me than a truckload of 150 class bucks!

So as much as I love shooting big bucks, I enjoy every minute of the loooong deer season and would hate to see it shortened in the name of bigger bucks. That's just me, we all hunt for different reasons.

TN24081~

PillsburyDoughboy

TN24081":2z5nfcgk said:
You very well could be right. There have been others on this forum that have shared the same beliefs. Personally I have mixed feelings about it. We never shoot anything that is less than 130", which means we go several years in between killing a buck ( like this year ). That being said, we enjoy each and every day we are allowed to hunt and we hunt just as hard on January 1 as we do on November 21. Even as someone who would be considered a "trophy hunter," the time spent in the woods with my son and my friends enjoying God's wonderful creations, is worth far more to me than a truckload of 150 class bucks!

So as much as I love shooting big bucks, I enjoy every minute of the loooong deer season and would hate to see it shortened in the name of bigger bucks. That's just me, we all hunt for different reasons.

TN24081~

We DO all hunt for different reasons.

I spent many seasons doing exactly what you were doing except my sights were set much higher,mi passed on some nice 150"class bucks the farm I was hunting at the time . There were a couple of 170 class bucks there. After seeing one either too far off or too late or too early I finally got paid but it was a long road.

What I found was tag soup is not nearly as tasty as back straps.

While I am proud of my big deer. I have had way more fun and enjoyment just hunting and taking what I want when I want it,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redhunterZ71

Some people like to deer hunt more than a few weeks a year!!!! I'd rather just take my chances at getting a big buck with the rules as they are now.

fairchaser

redhunterZ71":36rhw1wm said:
Some people like to deer hunt more than a few weeks a year!!!! I'd rather just take my chances at getting a big buck with the rules as they are now.

Agree! A shorter season just concentrates hunters into a couple of weeks. In some states with short seasons, hunters take the time off and hunt everyday of the season. Learning or wanting to pass younger bucks is the only real way to get older bucks in the population.

Bodine270":3oq7yrnu said:
One reason for no rifle season is the land is flat as a pancake up there. Restrictions on center fires are for safety.

NOPE! Not correct.

And even if it were, Middle Tennessee is VERY much like many places in the mid west where I have hunted.

TNDeerGuy":2xkkx20o said:
I'm all about reducing the firearm days, but in full disclosure and absolute honesty it is because I am an archer to the core. I would love to see it happen, but it never will and I really wouldn't support it--however, the archer in me would be screaming!!!! :)

Since I've been researching this 2-3 buck limit thing and gathering information from other States, some items have stood out like a sore thumb in the data. I always assumed that the shortened gun seasons in the Midwest had everything to do with managing for antlers and was quickly corrected by the time I got to the 3rd State. Almost everyone of these big-buck States have 2-4 times the amount of licensed hunters as we do!!

I understand that every State collects data differently as far as harvests, so I'm not going to even try to rewrite the data to make a point, but when you have States like Iowa and Illinois that have 2½ times the number of hunters and 70% of land is ag fields, you better have a very short gun season or you're not going to have a deer herd left. We have significantly less hunters and 70% woodland habitat, so I'm comfortable saying our season is at least acceptable all things being equal. (My inner bowhunter really did not like that being written) :D

AWESOME post!

Latest posts